• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a little contradictory though, isn't it? You could easily claim that Cameron and Goodwin in particular are key cases of promoting an assistant to senior coach from a failed coaching regime.

Buckley was the only real succession plan - ie where it was announced well in advance that he WOULD be next senior coach. That wasn't the case with Cameron, Longmire or Primus. There was strong talk about Goodwin taking over but that was never a formal announcement like with Buckley.
Goodwin's was explicitly a succession plan

As was Cameron's

God I'm sick of this 'aww gee Primus wasn't a good coach but at least he pushed through the young blokes' narrative. Look at how many games the likes of Matt Thomas, Tom Logan, Brett Ebert and Paul Stewart were given during his tenure and then tell me more about all the young blokes he played.
It was true though, I remember at a supporters meeting before the first game of the season (it was in Vic), we had a board member come in and explain that they were asking Primus to blood the youngsters and for us fans to be patient with it.
He wasn't a great coach, but he was certainly asked to specifically do that.

Leon Cameron has been a bigger underperformer than Ken.

Chris Scott was given a premiership team, took them to a flag and declined thereafter. This year has been a surprise return to the top.

Alan Richardson has basically had to turnover St Kilda, not sure he has what it takes.

Prior to last year, Buckley was just about out the door.

Apart from Longmire, Simpson and Clarkson, there isn’t a ‘sure thing.’

All you can do is build the facilities, assistants and set ups and ensure your coach is well supported. Hope you have picked the right person and after that there is some luck.

God I'm sick of this 'aww gee Primus wasn't a good coach but at least he pushed through the young blokes' narrative. Look at how many games the likes of Matt Thomas, Tom Logan, Brett Ebert and Paul Stewart were given during his tenure and then tell me more about all the young blokes he played.
I will never forget a game I went to against the Dogs at Etihad where we repeatedly swapped the ball from side to side in defense, with air every single time, and the Doggies just jogged across and set up, and waited for us to miss a kick.

They had no idea at all why they were swapping the ball, what they were trying to achieve, or how to achieve it. Primus may well have been sold up the creek, but he didn’t have a clue.

Announce a succession plan as of next year to Schofield.

Ken to stay on as senior assistant with very limited responsibilities.

He either stays or quits but either way our situation improves.

If Schofield agrees to do it without a pay rise until Ken leaves (then a back ended guaranteed pay rise after that) and Thommo agrees to a similar promotion then it only costs us an additional development coach.

If everyone agrees just say it was the plan all along.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Primus wasn't a senior coach but he had the most thankless job going. He made the hard decisions to push through young players and see how they coped. He put a few noses out of joint and broke a few long-standing friendships.

I'm glad he has made some sort of peace with the club.
With the benefit of hindsight, Primus did a lot of thankless work for the club, that someone had to do.

Unlike the current lot, he was up to doing the hard yards under trying circumstances, without the sort of support he would get if he was around today.

He might not have been a great coach, might have been talked into applying when he wasn't really ready for it - he only had 4 years as an assistant coach, look at how many coaches have done close to a decade preparing to be the head coach, but just like in his playing days, he gave it his all.

Winning that last minor round game in 2010 against Richmond at Docklands probably secured him the job. Especially the irresistible first half where we led by 9 goals at half time.

Winning that last minor round game in 2010 against Richmond at Docklands probably secured him the job. Especially the irresistible first half where we led by 9 goals at half time.

Ah yes, Daniel Stewart's breakout game.

What would be the ramifications if we lost to the gold coast?

Surely it would spell the end of Hinkley, surely he could not recover from this or will Koch & KT and the Board use injuries as an excuse.

That's my biggest concern that the club will use injuries to justify this year should we fail and keep Hinkley around for 2020. Im not sure i can put up with another year of Hinkley, another year of the players not turning up in teh 1st qu, rubbish starts to games, or the normal fall behind, dominate inside 50s but score nothing, then get close and just as the crowd get excited, get overrun late. No to mention the lost to an absolute Sh** side at least once a year

The whole outer just sighs gets up and goes home at the end of the game, its like we all know the ending, its like we have just accepted the inevitable under this bloke.

Surely it would spell the end of Hinkley, surely he could not recover from this or will Koch & KT and the Board use injuries as an excuse.

That's my biggest concern that the club will use injuries to justify this year should we fail and keep Hinkley around for 2020. Im not sure i can put up with another year of Hinkley, another year of the players not turning up in teh 1st qu, rubbish starts to games, or the normal fall behind, dominate inside 50s but score nothing, then get close and just as the crowd get excited, get overrun late. No to mention the lost to an absolute Sh** side at least once a year

The whole outer just sighs gets up and goes home at the end of the game, its like we all know the ending, its like we have just accepted the inevitable under this bloke.
It's been mentioned before that we can't afford to sack him this early. Maybe at the end of 2020 or early in 2021.

We were competitive against a young competitive improving side line, will be the spin.

No one will say its not good enough - because as we know its a tough competitive league with no easy games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Announce a succession plan as of next year to Schofield.

Ken to stay on as senior assistant with very limited responsibilities.

He either stays or quits but either way our situation improves.

If Schofield agrees to do it without a pay rise until Ken leaves (then a back ended guaranteed pay rise after that) and Thommo agrees to a similar promotion then it only costs us an additional development coach.

If everyone agrees just say it was the plan all along.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
Monty might get his knickers in a twist again and leave.

he only had 4 years as an assistant coach

This is a compelling argument in favour of not realising this board's oft-fantasised Schofield succession plan. Let's assume, by some hateful turn of events, that Hinkley is here until the end of 2021. That still only gives Schofield one three-year stint as an AFL assistant coach, in charge of one line. I know he's got some decent WAFL runs on the board, but there's a clear danger in being seduced, for a second time, by a former player ascending to the head role too quickly.

I think Brett Ratten is the coach we should be targeting, and I think we should be moving to try and recruit him now.

North is the only team currently looking for a new senior coach, but I can see (at least some of) Carlton, St Kilda, Essendon, Footscray, and Fremantle joining them. The fewer clubs we have to compete with, the better.

In the worst case, we'd have to cop Hinkley's full contract, and the football department soft cap penalty, on the chin. Of course, someone taking Voss off our hands, or Hinkley being "promoted" to Director of Coaching might help.

Last edited:
My simple question when Port extended Hinkley Voss what was the procedure? Was Board aware or had to approval ?

Someone or some have explaining
KT negotiated Hinkley's contract extension, a problem in itself because he's a terrible negotiator. The Board approved it.

yes Portia, i agree, i think he would surprise a lot of people, he doesnt look the part but i think he is that part. Smart operator
I mean his pedigree is pretty solid. Left Collingwood just before 2010 premiership, was at Geelong for 2011 premiership, Richmond for 2017 premiership. Definitely would be on the interview list.

Bring in Brett Ratten

Best choice out there. Saints are fielding a bottom 3 caliber team in terms of skills but have performed well above that. Put that down to Ratten's influence this year. Had a long enough stay under clarko as well, so that ticks the box that all new coaches need these days.

I mean his pedigree is pretty solid. Left Collingwood just before 2010 premiership, was at Geelong for 2011 premiership, Richmond for 2017 premiership. Definitely would be on the interview list.

Caracella would be my first pick. Spoken of very highly, has a work history at 3 clubs during successful times for them.

Back