• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That post was made in 1984 - after we lost the GF to Norwood. Balmey is almost in death's waiting room these days.
Balme is a couple of years older than Geoff Morris. There'd be a couple of posters who's heads would explode if we appointed someone that age as our senior coach.

I'm not sure Greta would be worse than Ken. At least you know she would be willing to stand up for Port and the players.

How dare you... Your umpiring has robbed me of my childhood. I shouldn't be here right now. I should be coaching this team in the finals.
it would be like Ken but petulant, im not sure what would be worse Smug Ken or Petulant Ken

As long as the new coach is totally divorced from replicating even a modicum of the failed Hinckley game plan, and can bring a sustainable system to the side that stands up under the greatest of pressure, then as long as he (or she?) is one of the best going around, I am not fussed who it is.

That would eliminate Voss, Bassett, et al from the contenders, which I count as essential.

I have tended to believe that the incoming CEO recommends their man as coach. If so I feel that we needed a new CEO this year because I am not certain that the club would entertain a new CEO and the CEO's recommended newly appointed coach beginning in the same year. Will our new CEO have the time and the influence on appointing a new coach for 2021? What are people's thoughts?

Coaches are usually selected by a panel following an extensive interview process, including external panel members.

The successful candidate is usually selected after multiple interviews by the panel. The CE doesn't even necessarily need to be part of the panel.

If Port decide to make a coaching change this year, a change in CE won't prevent that happening. A new CE will not be making the decision of whether to change or who to appoint.

And we will have a new CE starting this year. KT has already indicated there will be a handover period during this season.

Coaches are usually selected by a panel following an extensive interview process, including external panel members.

The successful candidate is usually selected after multiple interviews by the panel. The CE doesn't even necessarily need to be part of the panel.

If Port decide to make a coaching change this year, a change in CE won't prevent that happening. A new CE will not be making the decision of whether to change or who to appoint.

And we will have a new CE starting this year. KT has already indicated there will be a handover period during this season.

Selection panels usually seem to involve some combination of the CEO, football manager, football director and an external consultant. I imagine ours would be no different. Then their recommendation would get flicked to Chairman Moi for approval.

OK. I am sure that KT signalled out Hinkley though. I thought the CEO also contacted his preferred candidates to submit applications. I don't think it is only a situation where the club awaits for coaches to signal their interest on their own accord.

I'm sure highly regarded candidates can be invited to apply or a top coach headhunted, eg Lyon to Freo.

Hinkley was appointed after the selection panel's first choice Leon Cameron accepted an improved offer from GWS.

Rodney Eade was in negotiations with Port after that but the panel was still keen on Hinkley. KT spoke personally to Hinkley to swing him around to making the move and he agreed.

He wasn't unilaterally chosen and appointed by KT but Keith was the face of the recruitment process. The Board then endorsed the selection.

The Board of the Port Adelaide Football Club endorsed the appointment of Hinkley, who was identified and recommended by a selection panel led by Thomas and consisting of experts including external contributors Peter Schwab and Tom Harley with advice from David Parkin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm starting to like justin leppitsch as our next senior coach. He was highly rated at richmond. Got the senior coaching position at a completely dysfunctional, under-resourced, vossified Brisbane which couldn't keep any players. Coached at Richmond again in different positions to win two flags. He doesn't seem jaded by his experience at Brisbane. Never seen him drink coke.

I'm sure highly regarded candidates can be invited to apply or a top coach headhunted, eg Lyon to Freo.

Hinkley was appointed after the selection panel's first choice Leon Cameron accepted an improved offer from GWS.

Rodney Eade was in negotiations with Port after that but the panel was still keen on Hinkley. KT spoke personally to Hinkley to swing him around to making the move and he agreed.

He wasn't unilaterally chosen and appointed by KT but Keith was the face of the recruitment process. The Board then endorsed the selection.

We technically had a board that had been removed when Hinkley was being chased, so that's why KT was the main public face of chasing a coach. Kevin Osborn would have been consulted as he was the main board member who was going to stay from the Duncanson era over to the Koch era.

I’m still glad we got Ken over Eade. I think Ken was a great appointment at the time but he’s just gone into cruise control last few seasons.

Why? It's like a competition between no success vs. the probability of no success.

Why? It's like a competition between no success vs. the probability of no success.

I think eade and what has come out about his coaching style would have been completely a wrong fit with the club at the time.

Kens a great mentor to players and seemed to have a positive effect on most people. Where the club was at the end of 2012 wasnt positive and a pretty crappy environment to be in. Ken would have been a big help to the boys back in those days.

We did sign ken on for one contract too many though. We needed to get a finisher/closer someone more ruthless to get a flag, but those early years he did some great things.

I think eade and what has come out about his coaching style would have been completely a wrong fit with the club at the time.

Kens a great mentor to players and seemed to have a positive effect on most people. Where the club was at the end of 2012 wasnt positive and a pretty crappy environment to be in. Ken would have been a big help to the boys back in those days.

We did sign ken on for one contract too many though. We needed to get a finisher/closer someone more ruthless to get a flag, but those early years he did some great things.
Coaches like Ken are a sugar hit.

Nice guy, simple game plan low expectations.

The players love the freedom and have a bounce the first year or 2.

Later the lack of game plan and expectations starts to show.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're right but debating the merits of 13/14 now seems a little bit pointless. Are we better off for making finals in those years? It's not like it helped us build a squad that we're now seeing come to fruition. The team has been completely torn down and put back together again. We could have had Eade in those years, been coached like total poo and still be sitting here no worse off.

Last edited:
You're right but debating the merits of 13/14 now seems a little bit pointless. Are we better off for making finals in those years? It's not like it helped us build a squad that we're now seeing come to fruition. The team has been completely torn down and put back together again. We could have had Eade in those years, been coached like total poo and still be sitting here no worse off.
Yeah but if we had a hard arse like Eade as coach our young guns like Wingard, Wines and Howard might not have wanted to stay .

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

my point is he was good for those early years, we did have the squad to go the whole way but we kept him on one contract too long and now we are pretty much back to square one.

Making the finals is better than not making the finals in those years, we needed the money, positive exposure. We were struggling.

The fact we've squandered a massive uptick in Memberships, support and fan engagement post 2014 doesn't change that was exactly what the club needed after 2008-2012. The issue was/is failing to identify Ken wasn't the coach to take players the next step.

I've said elsewhere that it's another measure of the AFL's immaturity as a sport, where a coach has to be good at coaching / developing for any type of list to be considered worth getting as a head coach at all. Building a list of youngsters requires a different skill set to taking a team that's top 4 material to a flag. With rebuilding a broken club (as we were) a different set of skills again.

The club should have been able to say Ken had the set of skills to rebuild a broken club, with great thanks for that, but those aren't the skills we need now, so we're going to get the coach that can take that final step. Ken would have kept a reputation that would have allowed him to get a job at a club needing a rebuild and we'd have the coach we needed. Instead all parties have ensured all parties come out smelling like s**t.

If I had a free hit then Clarkson, Simpson or Buckley.

I don't know enough about all the assistant coaches but the best applicant from any of those three clubs because they play footy the way I like it.

If we have to look within then Schofield. Monty and Bassett are too defensive system focused for mine. You need that capacity but you have to allow room for creativity to enhance your scoring power. That was the balance that made John Cahill such a great coach.

Schofield strikes me as having that balance and is probably the best communicator of the group.

I don't like the 'assistant from a successful club' route. That's what landed us with Hinkley. A lot of those guys are just in the right place at the right time. But pretty much every club hires from that pool which means every premiership coach ends up coming from that pool which reinforces the philosophy.

I think more than anything it should be a personality type you are looking for. You want someone who is ruthless and promotes high standards but is also a great communicator and has natural empathy for the players he is coaching. After that, you look for the more technical aspects from your assistants.

Back