Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Continue as is for the rest of the season, win another 3 games Teague would have to get the full time gig.

If both those things happen, the top 8 would be a realistic goal for 2020.
It is no matter who coaches

There may well be backlash, but as taken we are with Teague right now, how would we feel should we lose to Adelaide, West Coast, Geelong, Richmond and even St.Kilda by 50+ points? How would we feel about Teague then?

There's still some way to go and the club would be doing the right thing by still talking to all potential candidates and that should also include some names we may not like.
Unlikely as that seems.........yes

Winners are grinners

Brezsa

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Saw an interesting rumour about Dockers trying to get Worsfold for 2020 - which is believable. The dominos could continue to fall and Lyon may well yet be our top pick.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Worsfold makes sense for Freo. Worth an inquiry, has Family is living in Perth and he is obviously in Melbourne coaching. I don’t care who you are that’s got to be hard.

Only thing I question does Worsfold really want to go again? He went to Essendon because of the drug stuff to try and help them, he wasn’t really on the coaching radar before that and has now stuck around to finish what he started. I honestly think he will finish his contract to next year, then move back to Perth and won’t coach again. But again if I’m Freo I’m asking the question.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
There may well be backlash, but as taken we are with Teague right now, how would we feel should we lose to Adelaide, West Coast, Geelong, Richmond and even St.Kilda by 50+ points? How would we feel about Teague then?

There's still some way to go and the club would be doing the right thing by still talking to all potential candidates and that should also include some names we may not like.
Do you actually think we’ll get flogged by any of those teams?

We won’t, I can almost guarantee it.

We don’t have to travel again for the rest of the year, the players have six weeks to control their destiny.

We will attack the latter part of the season all guns blazing, which is something we haven’t seen for a long time (no “oh well at least we get a good draft pick” to mitigate losses with).

Unlikely as that seems.........yes

Winners are grinners

We don’t have to travel again for the rest of the year, the players have six weeks to control their destiny.

We will attack the latter part of the season all guns blazing, which is something we haven’t seen for a long time (no “oh well at least we get a good draft pick” to mitigate losses with).

That would be great but no one can guarantee that.

What would our thoughts be should we lose to Gold Coast on Saturday?
It shouldn't happen but would that take the gloss off Teague?

All I'm saying is that it's still too early too apportion too much love for anyone.
We've been there before and things didn't work out well.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
You'd have to say he's gone. But a few of the assistants may be rewarded should Teague get the nod, JB included.

He does have a miraculous ability to dodge bullets, top bloke and loved at the club, too #teflon
If he’s deemed to be valid and functional he’ll have a role at the CFC if he’s redundant will be go, simple fresh Senior Coach will reshuffle assistants and make changes. I hope Greg diesel Williams is a pointed midfield stoppage and clearance expert.

I’ve swung again. Am now on the Teague bandwagon; my third coaching preference swing in just over a week.
I used to wear a swinging onion on my belt.

Loving your recent optimism, SOAP. Crazy optimism!

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Of course it is dependent on results. Havent seen anyone say it isn't a huge factor and reason for the ongoing talk.
Of course if they fall in a heap our thoughts will change about the coach.
The current Teague popular vote is based on what we know.
And a coaching selection panel may see lots of stuff we don't know.
Its going to be interesting and polarising.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton

All I'm saying is that it's still too early too apportion too much love for anyone.

Agree far too early to agitate one way or the other, embraced a nice bloke, novice senior coach how far ? some reactions are immature and amateurish and the media is riding the emotional wave for as long as far as they can go.

We have time 6 weeks then decide
And I doubt we’ll get thrashed if the players want Teague they’ll play for him

A win against Adelaide how does that sound?
But I understand your caution Harker

Last edited:

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Loving your recent optimism, SOAP. Crazy optimism!
I’m loving it too. The last few years have been hard for us all but I honestly feel like I’d almost given up of late.

Teague’s tenure has been amazing, I’m so happy to see the players believing in themselves again and wanting to run out and play for the jumper and the supporters.

The players are as dialled in as I’ve seen this group, I have full confidence that they’ll finish the year strongly and give us an unexpectedly great platform upon which to build our 2020 campaign.

Agree far too early to agitate one way or the other, embraced a nice bloke, novice senior coach how far ? some reactions are immature and amateurish and the media is riding the emotional wave for as long as far as they can go.

We've all embraced Teague and love what he's doing compared to his predecessor.
The sample size is still relatively small and as much as no one would want this to come about - Things can still go awry over the course of the next few weeks.
We're going to lose some games. There's no issue there, but it's now up to the whole to maintain the effort and integrity of what has been fostered.

We have time 6 weeks then decide
And I doubt we’ll get thrashed if the players want Teague they’ll play for him

A win against Adelaide how does that sound?
But I understand your caution Harker

My caution counts for little and part of me wants to get caught up in the recent output, but on a bigger picture level, I trust that our panel isn't getting swept away in the current form and output. That's probably silly to say as they simply won't be, nor will they be bullied by the media into making a decision that doesn't have the long-term interest of the club as a whole.

I would have liked for them to tell Teague exactly where he stands and that nothing is impossible, but the group have a long way to go, before making any commitment to anyone.
Chasing Clarkson is a no-brainer (terrible term, but you know) and if it did come about, Teague would no doubt appreciate our decision.

If Teague does not come about (and from what I'm hearing, he won't) then let's just part with handshakes and good-will.
Can we do that CFC?

Liking what Teague is getting out of the side - and if he wins more than he loses over next 6 games -he will be a hero and hard to shift and maybe the right call would be to get the right Director of Coaching alongside him.....
that said:
I don't get all the anti-Lyon sentiment proven great coach and from what I've heard - all his players love him.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Liking what Teague is getting out of the side - and if he wins more than he loses over next 6 games -he will be a hero and hard to shift and maybe the right call would be to get the right Director of Coaching alongside him.....
that said:
I don't get all the anti-Lyon sentiment proven great coach and from what I've heard - all his players love him.
Heard mixed. Very, very mixed. I think his good players love him; unsure he's too kind to his fringe players.

Remember the message he sent out to Jack Anthony lol.

We've all embraced Teague and love what he's doing compared to his predecessor.
The sample size is still relatively small and as much as no one would want this to come about - Things can still go awry over the course of the next few weeks.
We're going to lose some games. There's no issue there, but it's now up to the whole to maintain the effort and integrity of what has been fostered.

My caution counts for little and part of me wants to get caught up in the recent output, but on a bigger picture level, I trust that our panel isn't getting swept away in the current form and output. That's probably silly to say as they simply won't be, nor will they be bullied by the media into making a decision that doesn't have the long-term interest of the club as a whole.

I would have liked for them to tell Teague exactly where he stands and that nothing is impossible, but the group have a long way to go, before making any commitment to anyone.
Chasing Clarkson is a no-brainer (terrible term, but you know) and if it did come about, Teague would no doubt appreciate our decision.

If Teague does not come about (and from what I'm hearing, he won't) then let's just part with handshakes and good-will.
Can we do that CFC?
What if we win every game on the run home ...

What if we win every game on the run home ...

No choice. David, we want you as our coach. :)

Opinion:
Teague would have been a very long shot 5 weeks ago, when taking on the interim role.
Teague's hat is now in the ring.
Should Clarkson and Roos decline our offers, Teagues hat is somewhere closer to the centre of the ring.
Should Clarkson come home flying - Sign the lad up. The football department deserves him.

I’m loving it too. The last few years have been hard for us all but I honestly feel like I’d almost given up of late.

Teague’s tenure has been amazing, I’m so happy to see the players believing in themselves again and wanting to run out and play for the jumper and the supporters.

The players are as dialled in as I’ve seen this group, I have full confidence that they’ll finish the year strongly and give us an unexpectedly great platform upon which to build our 2020 campaign.
Crazy good!

Feb 5, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
cranky crikeys
Listening to Nathan Buckley (the new 2.0 bucks with no added FIGJAM) on SEN this morning talking coaches and the subject of appointing one. Raised alot of interesting points. So many variables. He did speak of club intel and what little inside pieces of the puzzle they are looking at that we can't see.

On the outside I see no 100% clear cut choice at the moment. I'm loving Teague but I can see that going sour very quickly when we're 0-4 in 2020.

The biggest thing that struck me with Buckley's opinion was the ability for the club to find the right FIT. We're young, we're primed . We need a coach that can juice that for all it's worth. I'm still in the Ratts camp, but only slightly. Surely he's a big candidate for saints gig? Him or Rob Harvey.

I guess the board throw all the options on the table, even the really fair fetched ones and start from the bottom and work thru.

I've hired people in the past. In one case I thought i had the right guy. He bailed at the 11th hour so i took the next guy in line. Was absolute an blessing in disguise. Exceeded all my expectations. Sometimes the second mouse gets the cheese.

Teague may be that mouse....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back