Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard mixed. Very, very mixed. I think his good players love him; unsure he's too kind to his fringe players.

Remember the message he sent out to Jack Anthony lol.

the criticisms of Lyon I've heard are

1. Something something about being naughty in some way something with a female staff member at something something function ( no Club needs that)
2. He coaches a boring brand of football - I call BS on all that.
3. He left St Kilda with a bad list after failing to win a flag V he left St Kilda because they wouldn't commit to giving him a contract.

I reckon Lyon will stay at Fremantle unless they dick him around with contract and if they do dick him around like St Kilda tried - he will be very high on the radar at Carlton.

Everyone thought Freo would be bottom 4 this year-somehow they are still in the race for finals...

1. Something something about being naughty in some way something with a female staff member at something something function ( no Club needs that)
3. He left St Kilda with a bad list after failing to win a flag V he left St Kilda because they wouldn't commit to giving him a contract.

I reckon Lyon will stay at Fremantle unless they dick him around with contract and if they do dick him around like St Kilda tried - he will be very high on the radar at Carlton.

Everyone thought Freo would be bottom 4 this year-somehow they are still in the race for finals...
No to Lyon.

Performances of any of the coaches (ladder position of our team) is always going to be a gamble to some extent. The coaches will try their ideas, some will work some won't.

We can almost guarantee Lyon will make us boring as s**t to watch though. I don't want to watch a boring team. No to Lyon.

Liking what Teague is getting out of the side - and if he wins more than he loses over next 6 games -he will be a hero and hard to shift and maybe the right call would be to get the right Director of Coaching alongside him.....
that said:
I don't get all the anti-Lyon sentiment proven great coach and from what I've heard - all his players love him.

But not in today's modern footy and that's something that seems to get omitted a lot by people backing Lyon.

Yes he did very well to get Saints and Freo to Grand Finals. His first 4 years with Freo were very impressive with finishes between 2-6.

It was well publicised that Lyon moved away from his ultra-defensive game plan at the end of 2015 to keep up with modern footy and since his old style wasn't achieving the ultimate goal. He kept losing to teams like Hawthorn who outscored Freo.

Since that moment Freo have finished 16th, 14th & 14th. They are currently 13th.

So in today's game he is not proven at all. Or proven that he's not good enough with 4 straight years of low finishes.

The AFL will continue to look at ways to speed up the game and increase scoring as well which will continue to hurt Lyon and his philosophies.

See my post on him above this one...a new criticism that i think is very valid not included in these 3 you've listed.

No to Lyon.

Performances of any of the coaches (ladder position of our team) is always going to be a gamble to some extent. The coaches will try their ideas, some will work some won't.

We can almost guarantee Lyon will make us boring as s**t to watch though. I don't want to watch a boring team. No to Lyon.

meh - I prefer a boring style win over entertaining losses - remember that was the criticism of Ratten's style?

But not in today's modern footy and that's something that seems to get omitted a lot by people backing Lyon.

Yes he did very well to get Saints and Freo to Grand Finals. His first 4 years with Freo were very impressive with finishes between 2-6.

It was well publicised that Lyon moved away from his ultra-defensive game plan at the end of 2015 to keep up with modern footy and since his old style wasn't achieving the ultimate goal. He kept losing to teams like Hawthorn who outscored Freo.

Since that moment Freo have finished 16th, 14th & 14th. They are currently 13th.

So in today's game he is not proven at all. Or proven that he's not good enough with 4 straight years of low finishes.

The AFL will continue to look at ways to speed up the game and increase scoring as well which will continue to hurt Lyon and his philosophies.

(for the sake of conversation/argument) since tbh - I have no strong view either way...

Good coaches build game styles around the players they have at their disposal - and that is all they can do?

Teague still got 6 weeks left on his interview.
Come on Teaguey. 3 more wins and shut the door on all these other candidates!

I'd be happy with that and the club would be thrilled to have hit that 7 win season, after a couple of wins looked to be on the cards.

It's all a little weird to me right now, as no one prospective coach 'just feels absolutely right', Clarkson excluded.

Voss - No. That's all I have. Just no
Voss & Roos - I get it but don't like it. I see only problems
Ratten - Not likely and won't happen
Scott - I'm trying to see Scott speaking on behalf of Carlton...It's not happening. I don't see it.
Lyon - Has his fans at our club, but it all seems too hard and he just doesn't feel like the right heart for our body.

Teague - It's in front of him and should Teague reel in another 3-4 wins, he could start getting close to Clarkson and if Clarkson says no........

Still, nothing feels ideal nor right, but maybe I've just forgotten and it's always been this way.

What has Voss got over Teague other than over rating himself and screwing up big time at the Lions.?
Teague is a vastly more experienced assistant and I doubt he’ll alienate half our players and supporters.
Watch Voss being interviewed, he’s one question away from punching anyone that asks ‘the wrong’ thing.
Not saying it should be Teague but Voss would be a massive mistake imo.
Interesting the press muppets trying to foist Voss or Scott on us.
They want to see us fail..again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If David Teague doesn't get the job, there is something seriously wrong with our board. After 5 games, we have 3 wins and 2 close losses. We won in Sydney for the first time in years. All the players are saying they want him.

If Clarkson had taken over and done what Teague did after 5 games, everyone would be saying he is a miracle worker.

What has Voss got over Teague other than over rating himself and screwing up big time at the Lions.?
Teague is a vastly more experienced assistant and I doubt he’ll alienate half our players and supporters.
Watch Voss being interviewed, he’s one question away from punching anyone that asks ‘the wrong’ thing.
And there you have it.

If David Teague doesn't get the job, there is something seriously wrong with our board. After 5 games, we have 3 wins and 2 close losses. We won in Sydney for the first time in years. All the players are saying they want him.

If Clarkson had taken over and done what Teague did after 5 games, everyone would be saying he is a miracle worker.
If Voss had taken over and done what Teague has done, he would tell everyone he was a miracle worker himself.

Knocked over Brissy a current top 4 team after being 6 goals down.

Won in freo without Cripps McKay and lost Charlie early. Was an enormous win.

Beat Sydney in Sydney and absolutely controlled the match.

We start the other two games well and we would have won those also.

We must win well this week then pinch one or 2 more. If we do that its his as far as im concearned.

We have done a 180 since he has taken the reins.

We were at about a 6% win rate from previous 40 games.

Teague currently at 60%

Haven't felt this excited for a long while.

I'd be happy with that and the club would be thrilled to have hit that 7 win season, after a couple of wins looked to be on the cards.

It's all a little weird to me right now, as no one prospective coach 'just feels absolutely right', Clarkson excluded.

Voss - No. That's all I have. Just no
Voss & Roos - I get it but don't like it. I see only problems
Ratten - Not likely and won't happen
Scott - I'm trying to see Scott speaking on behalf of Carlton...It's not happening. I don't see it.
Lyon - Has his fans at our club, but it all seems too hard and he just doesn't feel like the right heart for our body.

Teague - It's in front of him and should Teague reel in another 3-4 wins, he could start getting close to Clarkson and if Clarkson says no........

Still, nothing feels ideal nor right, but maybe I've just forgotten and it's always been this way.
Good summary 👍

Long way to go and Teague isn’t being signed by anyone else. Patience everybody

port adelaide were winning finals until voss got there. The guy's been a complete failure everywhere he's gone. 8 worst winning record of all time for anyone who's coached more than 100 games.

he can't even claim that he had to deal with players leaving at Brisbane. The Brisbane 5 left after he did.

Crikey's we're scrapping the bottom prefer Hinkley, Scott or Lyons vs Voss

Warming to Roos (advisor not coach) + Teague

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back