Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this idea that we need to talk to all potential candidates is rubbish.

Those that have a body of evidence can be judged on the evidence without the need for an interview.

Is there a weaker candidate than Voss out there who has coached an AFL team at senior level? Probably not?

Why was Voss sacked from Brisbane? To try and stop a mass player exit... are we willing to risk that?

If they didn't talk to Doc prior to interviewing him they've totally failed from a due diligence perspective.

People up in arms with the club interviewing Voss really just need to get a grip. What’s wrong with the Club doing it’s due diligence and interviewing all the suitable candidates ? It’s what we were promised wasn’t it ?. An extensive search for a suitable coach.
A few wins, and everyone’s acting like love sick puppies over Teaguey. He may be the answer, but he might not be. Just let the Club take as much time as it needs to and interview as many people as they need to, to make the right call.
agreed, and sometimes you need to interview someone who isn't right to be sure of who is right.

We have to treat anyone who applies with respect, otherwise candidates we do want, may be put off applying.

Remember, every time a candidate gets knocked back, it takes a little shine off them. Ask Brian Royal. If they see other getting treated poorly by the process, they'll avoid it.

Tends to imply he hasn't been asked. Yet. Hopefully the club does.

I've got one foot in the Teague camp, and the other in the Ratten camp.

Ratt's is stirring the pot, I don't think he'd want to come back at this time.

For an approach to Ratten to be made Matheison, MLG and JPratt would have to eat humble pie and admit they were wrong in sacking him.

MLG can't even admit mistakes when we had to sack Bolton so there is no hope of that happening

If I was Ratt's Carlton would need to beg and those board members depart.

Buckley's and none.

Timely article from Riley.
I know it's already been raised. But the game against St Kilda will be very interesting.
2 contenders going toe to toe. Can't wait.
All our last 6 games have so much interest.

Agree for different reasons all our remaining 7 games are significant tests Teaugy and the boys, Suns with Dew’s desperation to win, after 2 massive beltings. Crows ,Eagles, Tigers and Cats, will be ruthless, they must win it’s the business end of the season, and Saints desperate to salvage some integrity and build momentum for 2020.
Very interesting to see how it pans out, if we can knock off Suns, Saints and any one of the big 4 squad, we’ll end with 7 wins and I reckon Teaugy will be confident to put up his hand for senior Coach and he’ll be seriously considered.

Last edited:

Those that have a body of evidence can be judged on the evidence without the need for an interview.

Is there a weaker candidate than Voss out there who has coached an AFL team at senior level? Probably not?

Why was Voss sacked from Brisbane? To try and stop a mass player exit... are we willing to risk that?

If they didn't talk to Doc prior to interviewing him they've totally failed from a due diligence perspective.

Hypothetical.

Kid finishes high school, was a model student and top of their class.
They take a gap year to work and save some money, get a bit of "real world experience".
Then they decide they want to become a teacher, so they go to uni.
After the first year of a four year course, the school they went to offers them a job, despite their lack of qualifications, because of the familiar connection.
The following years ultimately prove that this person doesn't know what they're doing, or how to get the most out of students, even though they were a good student themselves. So they get sacked.
Then they go back to uni and study teaching for another 4 years.

After that time - do you judge them on their failures when performing a job they were patently unqualified for, or do you interview them to find out what lessons they've learned from their experiences, and what their training has taught them about how they can do a better job the next time around?

See where you're coming from. I just think it's really difficult to judge a single assistant coach on the performance of their team. So Port played finals in 2013 and 2014, then Voss comes on in 2015 and they miss finals the next two years. What else changed in 2015? Did other assistants come/go, did the lose particular players, did the gameplan change, did opposition sides work out tactics to counter them, were there injuries to key players, did assistant coaches change roles, did senior players experience a decline in output, did the list management strategy improve or degrade the side?

Why don't people want Voss?

He sent Brisbane backwards, Port haven't don't anything with him running the midfield.

He was given the Brisbane gig after a single season as an assistant coach, I'm not surprised he failed.
I have no idea what other factors may be at play in relation to Port Adelaide's recent form.

So I'm open to Voss, given that for him to get the job he's going to have to convince a panel that he is a better coach than anyone else we have lined up. He could be.
I agree that correlation doesn't not equal causation. just because port when backwards with voss as an assistant doesn't mean he was the cause.

But there does seem to be a connection with having good assistants with overall team success.

Voss might have learned alot and become a better coach but there's notthing tangible to suggest that, we'd be taking it on faith which is just as risky (if not more so) than going with teague

I agree that correlation doesn't not equal causation. just because port when backwards with voss as an assistant doesn't mean he was the cause.

But there does seem to be a connection with having good assistants with overall team success.

Voss might have learned alot and become a better coach but there's notthing tangible to suggest that, we'd be taking it on faith which is just as risky (if not more so) than going with teague

There's nothing tangible for us peons on BigFooty - I'm tipping there's plenty tangible evidence that can be provided by a candidate to our selection panel.

For an approach to Ratten to be made Matheison, MLG and JPratt would have to eat humble pie and admit they were wrong in sacking him.

MLG can't even admit mistakes when we had to sack Bolton so there is no hope of that happening

If I was Ratt's Carlton would need to beg and those board members depart.

Buckley's and none.
I think judd could go a long way to rebuilding that bridge. I honestly thought that ratten was judd's preferred option when he made those footy classified comments.

I'd love to hear someone make an objective argument for Michael Voss. He was to the Lions what Malthouse was for us. I honestly can't think of a worse option among the realistic candidates.

What about people learning from failure? It’s worked for me a few times, and for some pretty important people too (Steve Jobs anyone?). This doesn’t mean I’m advocating Voss, but he’s had time to reflect, experience a new environment, and he could potentially be a much better coach for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point on the player exodus.

I think we’ve done a brilliant job at signing all our assets and selling them the build and what we are doing, but that may only last so long. We are not the only club with cash and we are not the only club with a good culture. I’d hate to see it fail again and watch the likes of Cripps, Curnow, Fish etc. walk out to a contender going into their prime at the end of their contracts (2021-23 iirc).

Would like the players and Doc particularly to be apart of the process. Not a massive part, but he’s been their both on field and off field through Bolts/MM and is level headed enough to know what the squad needs to progress.

I think the players will buy into Teague and Ratten if appointed, Voss seems more polarising but may have learnt from his mistakes.

Let's face it whoever gets the gig is going to have a hugely talented list currently showing what they are capable of, albeit off a small sample...another pre-season and we will be red hot next year....we'll make any coach, experienced or not look good and then we'll just pat ourselves on the back for making the right decision....:cool:

What about people learning from failure? It’s worked for me a few times, and for some pretty important people too (Steve Jobs anyone?). This doesn’t mean I’m advocating Voss, but he’s had time to reflect, experience a new environment, and he could potentially be a much better coach for that.
Absolutely possible.

But I certainly wouldn't select a guy who got it wrong the first time in the hope of him getting it right the second time over a guy who's getting it right the first time.

I'd love to hear someone make an objective argument for Michael Voss. He was to the Lions what Malthouse was for us.

Had he gone on to be an assistant at a successful club it might be easier to mount an argument. I can see the appeal of a Matthews archetype in Voss, given his playing credentials, but as a coach he’s done nothing that warrants putting him at the helm of this playing group.

MLG wasn’t even on the board back then.

Last edited:
I think the players will buy into Teague and Ratten if appointed, Voss seems more polarising but may have learnt from his mistakes.
'Polarising' usually means 'strong personality'. Clicks with some people and clashes with others.

Millennials generally don't work well with those types.

Hard for anyone here to make that argument given he's been an assistant coach at an interstate club for the last 5 years - his work isn't exactly highly visible.

Port Adelaide were certainly playing some really good attacking footy for a few years with him in a midfield coaching role. They've lacked some consistency, but it's really hard to identify how Voss himself factors into that. Maybe, like Teague, he has ideas that are contrary to those of the incumbent senior coach. Maybe the competitive culture amongst the playing group is lacking.

I see some parallels with Ratten. Took on a senior gig far too early because his old club liked the romance of a favourite son coming home. He had all of one year experience in an assistant role, and prior to that had only spent one year out of the game in a media gig.

Retired end of 2006.
Media work 2007.
West Coast assistant 2008.
Brisbane senior coach 2009.

If I had to guess, I'd say he was treating coaching as an extension of his captaincy, when the required skill set is completely different. But then, he didn't know any better and Brisbane evidently didn't know what they were doing either.

People learn. Voss is no different. Doesn't mean I think he's the best candidate - but it's certainly possible.

Yes we don't know exactly what Voss does or is good at. It is possible he's doing good work and situation Port are in is due to Hinkley, just like how Teague has blossomed without Bolton.

But ultimately since his Brisbane sacking, he's only done one apprenticeship, being at Port and under one coach in Hinkley. Hinkley appears to be a mediocre coach and Port have been an inconsistent and mediocre side for quite some time...so as far as apprenticeships go it wouldn't exactly seem to be the best place to learn best practices would it? He still doesn't know what a successfully run club looks like as a coach.

Whereas Ratten went to a successful club in Hawthorn learning from the master in Clarkson who has produced many of today's senior coaches, then moved on to St Kilda and will get a chance to be interim senior coach...a far better apprenticeship imo.

I'd feel a lot better about Voss if in his last 8 years since being sacked, he was an assistant at say, Hawthorn and then West Coast, instead of just Port.

Has Teague actually said he wants the job?
Fair question. Hopefully Carlton are mindful of the fact that two other clubs are also looking for a senior coach and may have an interest in Teague.

How ironic would it be if Judd had to actually pitch the Carlton job to Teague in competition with another club? Karma train leaving the station...

Then presumably he'd have impressed the panel with his interview, his coaching philosophy, his self-analysis and self-improvement since losing the Brisbane job, his vision for the future of Carlton, his understanding of our current position, our prospects for the future, and the areas he sees us being able to improve with him at the helm.

If he gets the job it's because he was able to assuage any doubts the panel may have had about his ability to do the job.

If he gets the job, we should back him in and see what he can do with an extremely talented list of players starting to approach their prime.

Hopefully there is more than impressing the panel and smooth talking taken into consideration ... not sure his record at port is that good or any other coaching gig
I think Teagues coaching resume is better
Maybe Doc has some insight into Voss’s personality

Teague as an assistant helped lure McGovern over

But yes club has to do it’s due diligence no doubt

Personally I hope it’s not Voss

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back