Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Keep going as is and Teague has to get the job.

Winning 6 out of 11 and not getting the full time gig after being 1-10 would be madness.
Did someone say Madness...
D718CB1B-7701-4F9B-ACB7-D18F75E94CC0.jpeg

rog1995

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
I love Teagues demeanor. I love his transparency. I love the way he speaks. No nonsense. No bullshit. Just a great honest person. Will be a great coach and you can see the players love playing for him. Big 7 weeks coming up. Could anyone have imagined we would win three out of five when Teague took over including two interstate, with key personnel including Cripps missing?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
As much as I enjoy the results from Teague's work so far, the only question I ask at this is has he just loosened the reigns or has he actively demonstrated how he would do things with full control in this period?

I mean that in the sense of is what we see what we will get? Not knocking him or anyone else but a fair question.

Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The fact he's come out and said he wants any job isn't a great sign imo. Sounds like he's desperate.

Double edged sword. If he has only done a presentation with us and says he only wants that job it closes all other doors to him automatically and if he doesn't get the gig with us he has just burned his future career aspirations. Diplomatic and benign as it sounds it was the only answer he could give.

Hands On

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Hypothetical.

Kid finishes high school, was a model student and top of their class.
They take a gap year to work and save some money, get a bit of "real world experience".
Then they decide they want to become a teacher, so they go to uni.
After the first year of a four year course, the school they went to offers them a job, despite their lack of qualifications, because of the familiar connection.
The following years ultimately prove that this person doesn't know what they're doing, or how to get the most out of students, even though they were a good student themselves. So they get sacked.
Then they go back to uni and study teaching for another 4 years.

After that time - do you judge them on their failures when performing a job they were patently unqualified for, or do you interview them to find out what lessons they've learned from their experiences, and what their training has taught them about how they can do a better job the next time around?
Are you a teacher BB. :D

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
He has said repeatedly when asked that he loves the job. So I assume that means he wants it. But I think he is not going to big note himself like some do and wants to just earn it. Humble as well as able. What more could a club want when you think about it.

Has said a few times this time as our interim coach gives himself the opportunity to asses where he's at, whether there is gaps in his knowledge/coaching that he needs to fill before taking a senior role, or affirm to himself that he's ready. So publicly he hasn't committed but i reckon he wants it, just doesn't want to draw attention to it.

Would be a bit romantic for us as well, since Teague has quite a Carlton connection as a player and then Northern player & coach.

Barry Davenport

Senior List
Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Before the round 5 game I put a post up asking for Bolts to release the shackles and let the boys play with some freedom. I was shot down from all angles by quite a few people on the board, saying we must learn system and to hell with everyone else. Now, 5 games in to Teagues coaching time at Carlton, everyone on this board is saying Teague has been great for us, he's really taken the shackles off and allowed the boys to play, keep him.

This place confuses and amuses me no end.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Ratt's is stirring the pot, I don't think he'd want to come back at this time.

For an approach to Ratten to be made Matheison, MLG and JPratt would have to eat humble pie and admit they were wrong in sacking him.

MLG can't even admit mistakes when we had to sack Bolton so there is no hope of that happening

If I was Ratt's Carlton would need to beg and those board members depart.

Buckley's and none.

No admissions required - Ratts has been quite clear in his understanding that he wasn't ready for the senior gig last time round. He needed to go at that point, or we needed to overhaul the entire set-up around him and then bide our time with a list we thought was flag-capable. The mistake was in turning to Malthouse.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Hopefully there is more than impressing the panel and smooth talking taken into consideration ... not sure his record at port is that good or any other coaching gig
I think Teagues coaching resume is better
Maybe Doc has some insight into Voss’s personality

Teague as an assistant helped lure McGovern over

But yes club has to do it’s due diligence no doubt

Personally I hope it’s not Voss

You've over-simplified that significantly.

Of course it's more than smooth talking, an application/interview is going to require detailed evidence of his ability to coach. I'd assume it would involve presentation of development plans designed for specific players (with names redacted), explanations of challenges faced and overcome, probably a presentation on our list and how he sees it being best utilised, as well as our areas of weakness and plans for how he'd go about addressing them.

I hardly think it's just a matter of rocking up to an interview and answering some pedestrian "Tell us about a time you showed leadership" questions.

I do agree that, from my perspective, Teague's CV looks better. Just keeping an open mind, given we've got really limited insight into what Voss currently offers.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
No admissions required - Ratts has been quite clear in his understanding that he wasn't ready for the senior gig last time round. He needed to go at that point, or we needed to overhaul the entire set-up around him and then bide our time with a list we thought was flag-capable. The mistake was in turning to Malthouse.
I think Ratten is just repeating exactly what gets said about him. He is now a survivor assistant coach. Thats fine of course because he wants another crack and one can't begrudge him for that but the fact is as far as I am concerned that great coaches through history succeed very soon after being appointed. Not 12 years later in a second stint.
He had a great team but did not get the best from it. He was sacked too late, not too soon.
I will go further and say that I think if we had got the right bloke in to coach when Judd came we would have won flags.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Are you a teacher BB. :D

Nope, know plenty though.

Just think it's a pretty neat comparison. Just because someone is a great footballer, doesn't mean they'll be a great coach. And just because someone isn't a great coach without proper training/experience, doesn't mean they can't become one if they get the proper training/experience.

Seems extremely naive to write Voss off because of what happened at Brisbane - he had spent one year as an assistant coach before getting the gig, and was in no way, shape or form prepared for it. Maybe he's still not, but maybe he is. Open mind.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Ratten is just repeating exactly what gets said about him. He is now a survivor assistant coach. Thats fine of course because he wants another crack and one can't begrudge him for that but the fact is as far as I am concerned that great coaches through history succeed very soon after being appointed. Not 12 years later in a second stint.
He had a great team but did not get the best from it. He was sacked too late, not too soon.
I will go further and say that I think if we had got the right bloke in to coach when Judd came we would have won flags.

if one has the stuff of Senior Coach it should be obvious throughout footy career leadership, interaction, communication and motivational skills especially, they seize opportunities and make their mark early too.
Of course luck, team and assistants together with so many other variables in life make a difference. it’s never simple and straightforward.
However it certainly didn't take Clarkson a decade to give great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back