Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarkson
Simpson
Hardwick
Scott.....

Those are my favourites.

Those would be the top four coaches at the moment.

I still think sometimes the top coaches have a great ability to surround themselves with the correct people.
Hardwick took many years to get the correct people around him to get the best out of his team.

Not that I disagree, but the current output of those coaches leans heavily to the quality of the list they have.

People get caught up with a coaches record, rather than the list.

Not that I disagree, but the current output of those coaches leans heavily to the quality of the list they have.

People get caught up with a coaches record, rather than the list.

Not so sure with Hardwick and Richmond. Had 4 stars, and a lot of average players, got them playing very well together to take the flag. I think probably hard to argue they had a better list than Adelaide in 2017. A lot of their players have improved dramatically, as they gain experience playing in a winning team.

Not so sure with Hardwick and Richmond. Had 4 stars, and a lot of average players, got them playing very well together to take the flag. I think probably hard to argue they had a better list than Adelaide in 2017. A lot of their players have improved dramatically, as they gain experience playing in a winning team.

You mean hitting the appropriate experience/maturity levels?

Yoo too have missed the point. It has nothing to do with Bolton, Teague or Clarkson

The success or failure of our club has nothing to do with the coach.

The most important person/department of any club is recruiters/list management
I'm sorry Arrow but I can't agree with you on this one. You can have the best list in the AFL but if your coach is inept or not sufficiently competent you won't ultimately taste success.

To be successful you need both a good list and a good coach, they are both important parts of the puzzle.

You mean hitting the appropriate experience/maturity levels?

Well, they’re all regarded as better players once they’ wearing Premiership medals.

But no, I think there’s a lot more to it than that. I think a lot of Tigers would consider the inclusions of the likes of Balme and Caracalla had a much bigger influence than the players hitting a certain number of games played.

I'm sorry Arrow but I can't agree with you on this one. You can have the best list in the AFL but if your coach is inept or not sufficiently competent you won't ultimately taste success.

To be successful you need both a good list and a good coach, they are both important parts of the puzzle.

You just hit the nail on the head, "good coach", as there is no such thing as the best coach

Most coaches fall into that category

Give the likes of C Scott, Simpson, Beveridge, etc that Hawks list of 2013-15, they too may have won 3 flags

Coaching an AFL team has two main aspects, tactics/gameplan and motivating the players.

If you don't think getting buy in from the list has anything to do with the success or failure of a club then that is honestly a ridiculous position to take.

Agreed

I don't think you need the best gameplan, coach or players for that matter.

Personally it is more about the week to week/in game tactics and more importantly buy in

Tactically I think Teague is very strong and it seems the players have bought into his style, which doesn't surprise me

It's too early to determine if that buy in is short term, given most players prefer an attacking style rather than defensive setups, so it may just be a welcoming release.

Think one of the better coaches for tactics and player buy in is Beveridge. What he has achieved with an overall average list, has been impressive

Yoo too have missed the point. It has nothing to do with Bolton, Teague or Clarkson

It is a fair argument nd POV - but ultimately can't really be answered or proven - because it is circular.
All the criticisms or praises of a coach are to an extent circular as well - eg notion that 'proven' flag winning coach is something special...

My thinking is that of a list is genuinely a contender - it wont be the only list in contention - and coaching is often the difference - again just a 'belief/view...nothing can really be proven.

Ugh, this Bolton discussion is going around in circles. Can we please just stick to discussing who our next gaffer is.

According to this, Voss is still a legit chance for the job. Is the main knock on him his coaching, personality/demeanour or his list management decisions at Brisbane ?

I don't think he should get our job (heart very much set on Teague) but I think he probably deserves another chance as senior coach, someday, somewhere

You are quoting Sportsbet.

Seriously!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an important part for sure, but by simple deduction, they can't get there of their own accord..
The most important part of a club is it's board and management (CEO) ..........but yes, in a football department this may be the case.

Just on Teague though, what is it exactly we like about him? The wins? His methods? The personality? All and more?

Real question may be: What flaws or possible failings do we see in Teague? (Not easy to answer but should be no harder than for the pros we see in him.)
What reservations may the panel have on Teague?

Lets put it this way.
If Teague had just started as coach for 2020 and he had 5 wins and 3 narrow losses everyone would be saying yep we got it right.

In fact what Teague has done goes way beyond that because he has no preseason to have figured it all out.
He was dropped into an unenviable position and has come out smelling of roses.
There isn't another candidate to touch him.
The supporters know this and I will bet the farm that the board and panel does also.

Lets put it this way.
If Teague had just started as coach for 2020 and he had 5 wins and 3 narrow losses everyone would be saying yep we got it right.

In fact what Teague has done goes way beyond that because he has no preseason to have figured it all out.
He was dropped into an unenviable position and has come out smelling of roses.
There isn't another candidate to touch him.
The supporters know this and I will bet the farm that the board and panel does also.

Teague is looking great right now no question, but just playing devils advocate here -

If for whatever reason another is favoured over Teague, what may those reasons be?
(Let's take Clarkson out of he equation, because the answer there would be obvious.)

We look at things from a supporters perspective, but how would you be seeing things if you were....let's say Judd?
e.g. If one didn't rate someone beforehand are a few weeks of good football alone, enough to change your view 180 degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back