Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have Teague as interim coach, then employ Paul Roos as director of coaching to oversee for 2yrs, help guide a guy like Teague or Bassett.
I would also stipulate that the list needs to be stabilized, no wholesale changes in the first year.
P.S I hope Bolton sacks us.

Surely this thread could have come out after (and if) we get rid of bolton. Pretty disrespectful.

As much as you think he may be no good or want him gone, the man has put his heart and soul into this club, bloody sweat and tears, in arguably its darkest and toughest period in its history. Give the man some space and respect. He is hurting just as much as us right now.

I am both amazed and appalled that Teaguey has so much support on here. Nice bloke. Came with a seemingly good record with a potent Crows forward line.
Skinny Lappin was lauded as a forwards coach during Eddie's time at Carlton with the other amigos and AW1 forming a potent mix.

Our forward structure is abysmal. We have weapons who are underutilised and often competing for the same pill in the air. We are regularly caught out with nothing in front of the kicker, for which Teague must share responsibility with the midfield mentors.

The buck stops with Bolts, but he has been let down by his line coaches, bar Amos. Our stoppage (not so much centre bounce) structures and positioning through the midfield and by extension forward line are bloody atrocious. If Teague, Bruce or Barker become interim, I sill spew. Unfortunately, I believe the "qualified" coach Barker will get the gig. Blind Freddie could win the odd game with this group if he gives them a circuit breaker. Just wish Bolts could recognise this. As I have said elsewhere, sometimes less is more.

My own opinion, we can't afford to go for an untried coach which means Scott or Voss (unless we lure Clarkson and I wouldn't 100% rule out Ross Lyon).

I think it will be B.Scott.

Caracella has done more as an assistant coach than Voss.

Clarkson is a pipe dream. Most of the senior coaches are winning or losing based more on their lists than their abilities. I would believe this of Bolts too, except for the fact that our skills and structure, particularly ahead of the ball are abysmal. This rather than win/loss has him vulnerable..

Replacement. With a young group struggling a bit for a collective identity, we need a potential role model. A reasonably recent player of significant status. That to me, encompassed Ratten, Voss and Scott of the availables. Scott has a positive(just) record with a group largely disregarded by most casual watchers. The slow on Scott seems to be his desire to play the experienced warriors above the kids. The development of youngsters at North has been slow. Interestingly, their latest victory came from career best games by a handful of kids after Scotty's departure. The upside from our perspective is that we are full of kids and little experience. He would be forced to concentrate on the kids. Rest assured if a kid was not cutting it, they would feel the wrath at selection (e.g. Dow).The sole question then becomes tactics. I believe he is pretty good tactically and structurally.

Interestingly, young Walshy was a big Lions fan which would have him revering Voss. Voss was a little hard done by with his exit from the LIons. He had learned from his mistakes with the list management, and was actually making a half decent fist of things in his final year. The damage was however, done. He has had 5 or more years as an assistant learning his trade. He has now done the apprenticeship he should have had before taking a senior gig. I believe he would make a decent fist of it.

Ratten was a limited coach with us. Again had served minimal apprenticeship (and at a lowly team). Ratts relied way too much on his stars and expected the foot soldiers to do the lifting defensively. Judd, Murphy and Gibbs didn't exactly apply much defensive pressure, let alone Fev. He now has served a lengthy apprenticeship with the master coach, and would be so much better second time around.

An absolute non negotiable is to flick Barker. He has been a spectre over the whole set up for way too long. How do we attract progressive, creative assistants with him occupying the second rung for so long. It has been done to death the lack of effectiveness of the lines for which he has been responsible. He may in fact be a decent senior coach in waiting with the talent to gel a group under capable assistants. I, for one, doubt it. He MUST go. Clear the decks.

Our coaching job will be both a prime gig, and a very tough one. Many on our list are ready for break out, and advancement is inevitable. However the first year in 2020 will be tough. I have Simpson, Lobbe and probably Thomas gone and Murphy has already shown he is ready for the "paddock", but is contracted.
We are not going to get Soapy V's wish list of half a dozen experienced best 22 players. Two would be a good return. We would almost be better continuing through the draft and picking up the best free agent we can attract for nicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel as if I am dancing on Bolt's grave, but, as sad and brutal as it is, it is time for someone with not only a reputation as a leader of men but also someone with some experience and a point to prove. Voss for me is that man, remember back in the day how we were chasing him to coach us and Brisbane blinked. He can still put the fear of God through a team, no doubt inspire with his rep, knows what is needed to win a flag, and has now had several years in another team's system. In just about every respect Ratt's compliments Voss, could we go down the horse trainer's path and have a partnership(?); 'Maher & Eustace', 'Hayes, Hayes & Daberning', 'Ellerton & Zahra"? Where does it say that in the rules you have to have only one coach? What about a strategy coach (match day), and a head conditioning/culture coach? A Voss/Rattan combination would be a very interesting scenario...... just saying

My mail is very strong that Ratten “lost players 1-6” when he coached Carlton previously and wasn’t a very good man-manager.

If he has learnt that and understands how important it is, then he is a no-brainer as coach.

Word was that Ratten was a control freak and didn't want anything or anyone impacting upon 'his team'
No doubt he'd have learned plenty and have the ability and even desire to delegate and apportion power to his deputies.

Wouldn't mind Ratten as coach and always somehow imagined him back at the club and not because he's a Carlton man, either.

My mail is very strong that Ratten “lost players 1-6” when he coached Carlton previously and wasn’t a very good man-manager.

If he has learnt that and understands how important it is, then he is a no-brainer as coach.
Fair dinkum coaches will lose the odd player that can't handle the harsh truth. It's the ones that want to be everyones friend I'd be more worried about.

Word was that Ratten was a control freak and didn't want anything or anyone impacting upon 'his team'
No doubt he'd have learned plenty and have the ability and even desire to delegate and apportion power to his deputies.

Wouldn't mind Ratten as coach and always somehow imagined him back at the club and not because he's a Carlton man, either.
I agree. I got got results with very little support around him.

Roos always has wanted to coach one of the big 4 Vic clubs and was why he didn't stay at the Dees.
That being said I hope it's ratten

How am i not surprised to see this thread...

How could you not be surprised to see it, may be the more relative question?

Boltons tenure has been on the cards for weeks. No surprise at at should people be talking coaches.
As if the CFC haven't already sounded some out - Let me answer that; They have.

I have family who support north and a work colleague who supports north. They all hate Scott who has no Plan B.

Yeah I get that mate, my post was just a bit of a pisstake in what was a pretty bloody bleak end to the week yesterday..
Personally, I dont think Scott is on the radar.

One of my employees plays footy with Hamish McIntosh and Spud Firrito

I've asked to him to quiz McIntosh on wtf is going on at the club.
What influence does Barker have, does he any incriminating photo's etc
I've also asked him to find out their thoughts on B Scott.

Anyone else got any q's...i'll get him to bombard them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back