Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Teague can pinch 5 wins then it's his imo.

Interesting Sam Jacobs said today that Teague is his all time favourite bloke he's met in footy (or one of).

Appears to have a good rapport with the players. Someone the players would play their guts out for hopefully?

Why can’t Brad Scott just call his brother and learn all his secrets.

Chris Scott appears to be a very good coach however I also think a lot of credit needs to go to his assistants. Feeling always have excellent assistant coaches.

Average coach, awesome club with second to none list management, recruiting and a really high profile support team.

Brad may well be the better coach for all we know the the big difference is the club. North have no profile and their recruiting and list management is just ordinary, their ability to pull good players is just ordinary.

Swap them around and it wouldn't matter, Geelong would still be the best team in the league right now.

This, North Vs Geelong is something I really hope Carlton learn from. You need to appeal to players, you need a profile, you need to recruit, strategise and manage the list extremely well. It's not all about the head coach. Some head coaches have had success and that gives them a really high profile and it helps the club pull in gun players, in reality most coaches are all a much of a muchness outside that.

For where we are now it's super super important that we make ourselves look flash and high profile, when players inspect our club it needs to make an impression and stand out. That's probably the great difference between the Scott brothers and their respective clubs.

Yes, I prefer we go after a proven tactical coach. Ross Lyon is my preference. Season ending injuries to now 3 of his key talls may sway him to come across.

Happy to go with Teague if we do well the remainder of the year and the playing group approve.

The head coach doesn't necessarily need to be a proven tactician. As long as we have one in the coaching box as an assistant.

I want to see a strong coaching group as a whole...one thing that puts me off is Lyon's 'Ross the Boss' authoritarian style. He's been coaching for quite a long time now and i don't think any of his assistants have become senior coaches or even close to it. His style is more Mick Malthouse than Clarkson and that doesn't bode well to me.

I want an inclusive and personable head coach.

Why can’t Brad Scott just call his brother and learn all his secrets.

Chris Scott appears to be a very good coach however I also think a lot of credit needs to go to his assistants. Feeling always have excellent assistant coaches.
Chris Scott's secrets are having a stacked af roster. Doubt there's much difference in coaching ability there. Geelongs recruiting is in another galaxy when compared to North, who Brad kept competitive.

His Fremantle and St Kilda grand final teams ended up with points for around the middle of the pack, with really low elite points against.

One could argue he created a game plan which suited the lists he had at his disposal. Not much firepower in that Fremantle team, an ageing Pavlich and Walters, with not much else.

I just think he's a smart coach who gets the most out of his lists. And now he's demonstrating the ability to turn it around with a fairly young Fremantle team.

If you look at the age/experience of Freo's best 22, or at least the 22 who ran out against Collingwood, it's not actually that young.

They have quite a lot of players in their prime, 24-29 type age.

We need to get someone who is going to bring some really good notable assistants with them or we need to bring the assistants to the coach. I'd be all for Teague if he does a good job but he needs to have the people around him. We can't have these gun 20-25 year olds inspecting our club and walking out and scratching their heads wondering who these guys were they just met then being blown away by all the other Victorian clubs.

Players aren't impressed by private jets and ex-players they don't remember. Players are impressed by money, contract length, winning, facilities and the football department staff.

I really really hope our club is right on top of this, we need to have our targets sorted or at least worded up. We need to have our team in place before the free agency and trade week comes up. Well before it.

I'm not expecting to hear a lot but I really hope the club has god stuck right into this. We've just hit the point where hitting the draft is done and dusted and we need top end mature talent, it's so so important for us to get this right and quickly.

[] Jun 4
More

I was thinking Roos would be a good mentor or director of coaching if an untried coach is selected by the Panel. But I have second thoughts now after reading Grant Thomas's criticism of him, especially after he played with him at Fitzroy for a period of time.

Lol you're listening to Grant Thomas of all people?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At
[] Jun 4
More

I was thinking Roos would be a good mentor or director of coaching if an untried coach is selected by the Panel. But I have second thoughts now after reading Grant Thomas's criticism of him, especially after he played with him at Fitzroy for a period of time.
lth
Although I'm not in the Paul Roos camp for our next coach running, I wouldn't take any notice of Thomas who somehow thinks he was the the greatest coach ever often potting people on a regular basis for the sheer hell of it..

Two things.

1. We need to improve who we have at the club in terms of how impressive they are to potential recruits. We can't have gun players walkin in and meeting the coaches and not knowing who they are. You walk into Geeling and meet Chris Scott, Nigel Lappin, Matthew Scarlett, Shane O'Bree, Matthew Knights and Corey Enright; or Hawthorn and Meet Alastair Clarkson, Adem Yze, Scott Burns, Darren Glass, Chris Newman, Sam Mitchell; or Collingwood Nathan Buckley, Brenton Sanderson, Robert Harvey, Gary Hocking, Taryn Lockyer, Matthew Boyd, Anthony Rocca; or Richmond Damien Hardwick, Blake Caracella, Justin Leppitsch... How many good games of footy, Premierships and All-Australians are there in that group, heaps.

Then there is us... David Teague, John Barker, Cameron Bruce, Josh Fraser, Brent Stanton, Sav Rocca, Hamish McIntosh.

Our club desperately lacks profile, it won't impress or blow players away and I know great players don't always make great coaches but when it comes to recruiting if there are people there who were star players and players these guys might have looked up to in their younger days then it's going to impress them.

We aren't blowing anyone away and if we are to recruit good players and look better than the rest we need to develop some profile.

I bet if we poached Alastair Clarkson, used that to get Luke Hodge over, got Brad Scott in doing a role, get Jarrad McVeigh, get guys in who have played a heap of footy, won flags been All-Australians and I bet when the good players go on the move they would come to us.

We can't sell ourselves with a coaching team that has no profile.

Put together a staff that will blow players away. Become impressive. There is no wondering why the gun players go to the teams with the facilities and the star studded coaching lineup.

2. We can't pay huge dollars for a coach. It's not about the head coach anymore, it's about having a really good team of people who are both impressive and big name people but also good at what they do. This goes a bit against the first point and a bit for it as well. We need the gun people but we can't overpay for individuals.

I get what you're saying but Hardwick and Clarkson had no profile until they were successful. If Richmond Hawthorn and Collingwood weren't making grand finals those names wouldn't be worth mud. We all know that champion players don't necessarily make champion coaches. I think what this demonstrates is win a Premiership, or at least make one then you're name will be known, you will become successful and therefore attract others. I think you have the chicken and the egg around the wrong way.

I get what you're saying but Hardwick and Clarkson had no profile until they were successful. If Richmond Hawthorn and Collingwood weren't making grand finals those names wouldn't be worth mud. We all know that champion players don't necessarily make champion coaches. I think what this demonstrates is win a Premiership, or at least make one then you're name will be known, you will become successful and therefore attract others. I think you have the chicken and the egg around the wrong way.
I read gbatman"s point to be about the head coach AND the professional setup of assistants, medical and fitness and facilities. Off field organisation too.

I have this theory. The free flowing games where we won or ran the opposition close was a Teague trademark. The stodgy, hopeless losses were more the Bolton influence, be it a deliberate development plan, lack of player buy in or just incompetence on the coach's part.
Teague is no mug, he is at least the equal of any other 'assistant' coach looking for the senior gig.

Hmmm.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/teague-had-different-views!734504

My gut feeling is Teague. I think he will do well for the rest of the year and Carlton will win another 3-4 games. I think it will be enough for him to win the position.

Have no doubt, the majority of the remainder of the season will likely be painful. Hopefully Teague can keep motivation high as long as possible.

Unless Teague can pull at least 5 wins he has no chance of even being involved in discussions about the senior role. They will hire externally for near certain.

My gut feeling says Lyon or Voss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back