• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDP_Shazza

Rookie
Oct 9, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I read gbatman"s point to be about the head coach AND the professional setup of assistants, medical and fitness and facilities. Off field organisation too.

Yes, I know, however the emphasis being on the coaches, with the poster having gone to the trouble of naming them all individually. My point still stands no matter what staff we are referring to. Success is what attracts players. Hawthorn are the prime example, It just so happens that when free agency was introduced Hawthorn were in the midst of an extremely successful period hence why opposition supporters began to complain about every player choosing to go there!

I respectfully disagree with the idea that in order to attract players to your club you need to first attract big names to your staffing. I believe that in order to attract players to your club you need success, regardless of the profile of the staff prior to that success, because the success itself is what builds that profile.

Yes, I know, however the emphasis being on the coaches, with the poster having gone to the trouble of naming them all individually. My point still stands no matter what staff we are referring to. Success is what attracts players. Hawthorn are the prime example, It just so happens that when free agency was introduced Hawthorn were in the midst of an extremely successful period hence why opposition supporters began to complain about every player choosing to go there!

I respectfully disagree with the idea that in order to attract players to your club you need to first attract big names to your staffing. I believe that in order to attract players to your club you need success, regardless of the profile of the staff prior to that success, because the success itself is what builds that profile.
Don't disagree that success can be a factor. To be successful though a club need professional setups across all areas. Reckon players and agents assess those as well. Does this club have what it takes to be successful, or sustain success?

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I get what you're saying but Hardwick and Clarkson had no profile until they were successful. If Richmond Hawthorn and Collingwood weren't making grand finals those names wouldn't be worth mud. We all know that champion players don't necessarily make champion coaches. I think what this demonstrates is win a Premiership, or at least make one then you're name will be known, you will become successful and therefore attract others. I think you have the chicken and the egg around the wrong way.

Hardwick was a dual premiership player and an All-Australian and had a great reputation in his day. He now has that aura of premiership coach and the coach who built that team which gives him a great profile.

Clarkson did have a profile as a player but nothing special but he came to a club who built him a team and a really good team and that is what has built his profile as a multiple premiership coach. He was also surrounded by some really good high profile people.

But it's not all about the head coaches it's about the people at the club as a whole. If you have a look at the people around them as a whole, most of them have a very high profile. It's the same at Geelong and Collingwood.

If players walk into those clubs and meet these people they are going to know who most of them are and most of them are going to be people they remembered as being superstars. They are at least people they have heard about.

Collingwood, Richmond, Geelong and Hawthorn are full of assistant coaches and coaches who are former All-Australian, brownlow medalists and Premiership players etc. When you walk into a club and meet people like this they leave an impression. They are impressive people. You know who they are, they are people as players that were admired and respected for the abilities and achievements.

Winning a premiership certainly builds profile but they people you have at your club and what they have done as players or as coaches most definitely has an impact on potential recruits.

Take some time to look at the people at Geelong and some time to look at the people at Carlton. Forget what they have achieved as coaches and look at who they were as players. Worlds apart. Now tell me if you were to meet with both groups, which one would you chose, who would leave teh biggest impression on you?

The highest profile people at our club are Judd who is not on the coaching team but a great get and SOS who is not on the coaching team and the players we are trying to recruit would not have grown up seeing him play I would think.

Just one or two people with a profile would make all the difference I believe. Just tips the fine balance between choosing us and choosing someone else in our favor.

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague's fate will be decided by the last 4 games of the year. I don't really see it happening for him but I'd like to be proven wrong and see him at least be putting a strong case to the selection panel. I still think Brad Scott is our man.

Blues90

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague's fate will be decided by the last 4 games of the year. I don't really see it happening for him but I'd like to be proven wrong and see him at least be putting a strong case to the selection panel. I still think Brad Scott is our man.
Please don't swear at me like that... He is not our man.

GT619

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Why do you still think brad is our man

PDP_Shazza

Rookie
Oct 9, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
gbatman, I completely understand and agree to an extent. I just don’t want us targeting something for the sake of it, it would be just like Carlton to get a couple of high profile ex players on staff only for them to not be that great at all....

I think what you talk about is generated somewhat naturally when things start to come together. If the club had the right people at the top and got some luck then it will all start to filter down.

What I don’t agree with is making high profile people a target, as a business goal, or a strategy.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

That might be a bit rough on Teague. For reference, our last 4:

Eagles at Docklands
Tigers at the MCG
Saints at the MCG
Cats at Kardinia Park

Definitely not looking forward to round 23. I'm thinking we're a chance against the Saints and perhaps the Tigers if their injury woes continue, but there's a good 2 months until we face them so they most likely have the majority of their senior players back by then.

Our run from now until the last 4:

Dogs at Docklands
Dockers in Perth
Demons at the MCG
Swans at the SCG
Suns at Docklands
Crows at the MCG

Dogs, Demons & Suns feel like our best chances there. Dockers perhaps more gettable if they continue to have big men issues, although would still be an outside chance being out west. Some may suggest Swans likely but it feels like they're getting their **** together little by little as the season progresses and have a knack for finishing strongly.

I'm not sure how feasible it is, but if Teague could manage 4 more wins I'd be pretty ******* stoked.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
gbatman, I completely understand and agree to an extent. I just don’t want us targeting something for the sake of it, it would be just like Carlton to get a couple of high profile ex players on staff only for them to not be that great at all....

I think what you talk about is generated somewhat naturally when things start to come together. If the club had the right people at the top and got some luck then it will all start to filter down.

What I don’t agree with is making high profile people a target, as a business goal, or a strategy.

Exactly, it can't be for the sake of it, they have to tick all boxes, be a good coach, not cost the earth.

Honestly I would be happy if Teague works out to retain him and get guys around him as assistants who inspire some awe. Teague head coach. Luke Hodge midfield coach. Something like that.

Our competition in Victoria is huge. We need to do the little things and cover that to get the advantage.

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
We can beat:

- Eagles at Marvel (they always struggle against us here)
- Tigers at the G (they are teetering on the cliff)
- Saints at the G
- Dogs at Marvel
- Dees at the G
- Suns at Marvel
- Crows at the G (I don't believe in the Crows, I expect them to fall apart)

7 winnable games. Hopefully we get 5 or 6 of them.

The Crows game especially, nothing would please me more. Knock them out of finals contention, hehe.

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Guys and gals, David Teague is very unlikely to be our 2020 coach.

Caretakers rarely get given the big gig, Paul Roos is the exception, not the rule.

I hope David Teague wins every game making him a real contender, but I doubt he will be selected.

GT619

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Guys and gals, David Teague is very unlikely to be our 2020 coach.

Caretakers rarely get given the big gig, Paul Roos is the exception, not the rule.

I hope David Teague wins every game making him a real contender, but I doubt he will be selected.

So who will be?

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton

We'll knock off the Saints and Tigers so 2 wins from last 4 games and a few more earlier.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
That might be a bit rough on Teague. For reference, our last 4:

Eagles at Docklands
Tigers at the MCG
Saints at the MCG
Cats at Kardinia Park

Definitely not looking forward to round 23. I'm thinking we're a chance against the Saints and perhaps the Tigers if their injury woes continue, but there's a good 2 months until we face them so they most likely have the majority of their senior players back by then.

Our run from now until the last 4:

Dogs at Docklands
Dockers in Perth
Demons at the MCG
Swans at the SCG
Suns at Docklands
Crows at the MCG

Dogs, Demons & Suns feel like our best chances there. Dockers perhaps more gettable if they continue to have big men issues, although would still be an outside chance being out west. Some may suggest Swans likely but it feels like they're getting their **** together little by little as the season progresses and have a knack for finishing strongly.

I'm not sure how feasible it is, but if Teague could manage 4 more wins I'd be pretty ******* stoked.
Hoping Geelong "manage a few" for first week of finals...

Don't disagree that success can be a factor. To be successful though a club need professional setups across all areas. Reckon players and agents assess those as well. Does this club have what it takes to be successful, or sustain success?

Absolutely so. Money is important but so is the general welfare, happiness, room for growth and then potential earnings, short and long term.
You'd be seen to be a poor agent if you placed your client into a lousy job. Some things can't be helped and bad things do happen, but a manager doesn't want the reputation of 'getting things wrong' as they won't last too long at all.

Don't want to go on nailing Bolton, but I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did, given the path he took this club on.
It wasn't the happy place we've been sold it to be and from what I've heard, some players were prepared to walk. I don't know the players personally so can't claim it to be fact, but little by little more things will come out. Club had to move and did so for everyone concerned.
What happens from here on in we don't know, but what was done had to be done and we should be glad it was.

Absolutely so. Money is important but so is the general welfare, happiness, room for growth and then potential earnings, short and long term.
You'd be seen to be a poor agent if you placed your client into a lousy job. Some things can't be helped and bad things do happen, but a manager doesn't want the reputation of 'getting things wrong' as they won't last too long at all.

Don't want to go on nailing Bolton, but I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did, given the path he took this club on.
It wasn't the happy place we've been sold it to be and from what I've heard, some players were prepared to walk. I don't know the players personally so can't claim it to be fact, but little by little more things will come out. Club had to move and did so for everyone concerned.
What happens from here on in we don't know, but what was done had to be done and we should be glad it was.
so what are you claiming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back