Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ridiculous when you think about it.
So the mentor is effectively an 'All care, No responsibility' individual.

On a practical level, tell me how this would work with Roos?
- Roos 'suggests' some ideas to Teague and Teague doesn't take them up and fails - Roos: "I told you so"
- Roos 'suggests' some ideas to Teague and Teague doesn't take them up and succeeds - Teague: "I told you so"

And of all people, Roos with his arrogance will mentor. Terrible idea and doomed to failure from the get-go.
Create a proper hierarchy and we can talk.....mentoring....give me a break.

Without going into bat for Roos, there seemed to be agreement that losing Craig from a similar position was a negative for the club.

So when Fev didn't get to a 100 goals was your first thought geez Clarkson is a great coach.

Not at the time, but on reflection.
You don’t allow teams to score easy goals, the romance is irrelevant, your job is to your team only. If they are going to solely go through Fev, then do everything to stop it.

It's ridiculous when you think about it.
So the mentor is effectively an 'All care, No responsibility' individual.

On a practical level, tell me how this would work with Roos?
- Roos 'suggests' some ideas to Teague and Teague doesn't take them up and fails - Roos: "I told you so"
- Roos 'suggests' some ideas to Teague and Teague doesn't take them up and succeeds - Teague: "I told you so"

And of all people, Roos with his arrogance will mentor. Terrible idea and doomed to failure from the get-go.
Create a proper hierarchy and we can talk.....mentoring....give me a break.

The way I see it a senior mentor is one to be respected by the coaching panel he gives guidance and transparency to the process and application of coaching and game plan. A good coach evolves he can be assisted along the way.

Good post, mentor is not something I’d want.

Re Ratts, win loss record was one thing. Never wanted him gone and I didn’t think the list was left as a shambles by his doing? Or am I wrong?

Our list is better now than when he took us to the finals

I think he’s done a decent apprenticeship at the Hawks (as did Bolts) but is different to Bolts. JMO. Also mid coach at the Saints and I don’t reckon their midfield is going too badly. Smashed us iirc. But Ratts probs won’t happen, I am a romantic at heart after all.

Teague is an entirely seperate thing.

Captain Coach and then coach of the Bullants to two? Grannies

West Coast assistant

Adelaide assistant

Carlton assistant

Carlton Caretaker.

I actually don’t think Teagues “training wheels” are even worth a mention.

I think he is still in the running despite what’s been said re “training wheels”

Only mo, means sfa in the scheme of things.

Just don’t want another “Messiah” coach.

All good coaches had to start somewhere.......
Excellent reply.
I think the evidence of that post Ratten list is in the performance.
Its far too simplistic to say Malthouse got a good list and was just no good.
Its also too simplistic to blame only Rogers and Hughes for the state of it.
Ratts had his fingers in Warnock, Mclean, Jacobs leaving, and more.
And the list was flakey and without any real depth.
Its my thoughts only of course.

And yeah Teaugue isnt on those 'training wheels'. I don't think Judd meant to imply that either. Just a bit of a faux pas which created a storm in a teacup.

Last edited:
Without going into bat for Roos, there seemed to be agreement that losing Craig from a similar position was a negative for the club.

Everything is easy when it's new and fresh...and fun....and.....but when things get tough...

Why didn't Craig hang around?
What value was Walls to Bolton? Not much right?

Terrible idea around mentoring. You're either in or out, not watching from the fence to offer some suggestions as was the case with Walls & Bolton.
At least Walls came for nothing. Roos? Spend the money better, I say.

Agree with you too many footy shows, just too much money involved, the hysteria is over the top and the frenzy won’t stop until the club makes a statement. It will be thrashed at infinitum ove4 the next weeks.
In the good old days they talked about the footy. Now they talk about the circus that footy has become.

For the life of me I don't understand this hankering for Ratten.
I can only assume it's for some warm fuzzy feelings.
As far as I am concerned we have been there and done that. It failed. And the list was left as a shamble

Perhaps it’s this.

When Ratten took the Carlton job he was inexperienced, the team was young and talented, we progressively improved each year, until a bad run of injuries and a regress led to his dismissal.
The club in its wisdom thought we were a lot closer than we actually were and went for the final piece of the puzzle. When in reality, the list was a long way off.

I don’t have the stats in front of me, but I’m going to suggest Ratts had a better coaching record than Voss and Hinkley who are names he’s being mentioned with and I think he is probably a little off Scott and Lyon. The counter to this is, Ratts loves the Blues and would bleed blue (as some like to describe).

Ratts, never had a mass exodus of players like Voss, hasn’t had multiple sexual assault allegations like Lyon, he is extremely experienced now after coaching his own side and going on to be an assistant to the greatest AFL coach during 3 premierships.

Lastly on your list comments, Ratts doesn’t pick players and looking back our recruiting during his tenure was a disaster, how are you putting the blame for this on him?

Been there, done that and failed? So I assume you support never using a draft pick on a player again, because plenty have failed?
We just went for an unproven coach, never again, because it failed?
Malthouse was experienced, never again because it faile.

If he’s the best candidate available then sign him up, if he’s not, sign up who is. All the rest is irrelevant.

Watched Maclure on 360 last night and he savaged Judd big time and effectively stated that it undermined Teague's position and would affect the players negatively.

I actually think the training wheels comment has increased interest in this game for me. If the players are really behind Teague then I think they will come out breathing fire and make a big statement (on the ground) of their support.

Sorry for the intrusion guys. Really like this comment and think it will fire the team right up. It got me thinking if those in charge appointing the new coach would seek the opinions of the playing group and how much weight those opinions would hold?

If the playing group strongly supported Teague and wanted him coach, and although not the only factor, but I wonder how much that goes towards Teague getting the job against a more experienced coach or a great power point presentation. The teams performance so far suggests they have been freed up and are enjoying playing under Teague. Anyway, it will be interesting to see who you guys select.

I think, if Teague is to get the job, he is far more advanced than Bolton was and, I think, less likely to need that person.

Having said that, I'm not against putting someone in there. Teague himself made reference to the role that mentors such as Worsfold had in his development.

Perhaps it’s this.

When Ratten took the Carlton job he was inexperienced, the team was young and talented, we progressively improved each year, until a bad run of injuries and a regress led to his dismissal.
The club in its wisdom thought we were a lot closer than we actually were and went for the final piece of the puzzle. When in reality, the list was a long way off.

I don’t have the stats in front of me, but I’m going to suggest Ratts had a better coaching record than Voss and Hinkley who are names he’s being mentioned with and I think he is probably a little off Scott and Lyon. The counter to this is, Ratts loves the Blues and would bleed blue (as some like to describe).

Ratts, never had a mass exodus of players like Voss, hasn’t had multiple sexual assault allegations like Lyon, he is extremely experienced now after coaching his own side and going on to be an assistant to the greatest AFL coach during 3 premierships.

Lastly on your list comments, Ratts doesn’t pick players and looking back our recruiting during his tenure was a disaster, how are you putting the blame for this on him?

Been there, done that and failed? So I assume you support never using a draft pick on a player again, because plenty have failed?
We just went for an unproven coach, never again, because it failed?
Malthouse was experienced, never again because it faile.

If he’s the best candidate available then sign him up, if he’s not, sign up who is. All the rest is irrelevant.
I dont agree mate. Theres plenty of reasons for my way of seeing things. I won't list them again. All good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent reply.
I think the evidence of that post Ratten list is in the preformance.
Its far too simplistic to say Malthouse got a good list and was just no good.
Its also too simplistic to blame only Rogers and Hughes for the state of it.
Ratts had his fingers in Warnock, Mclean, Jacobs leaving, and more.
And the list was flakey and without any real depth.
Its my thoughts only of course.

And yeah Teaugue isnt on those 'training wheels'. I don't think Judd meant to imply that either. Just a bit of a faux pas which created a storm in a teacup.

Judd would be the most naive man in Melbourne if he didn't expect that he would be asked a question about our coaching situation in a panel show in which he is a member. If he hadn't considered his response previously he is inept and has done our club, players, coaching staff and Teague a great disservice.

Easiest thing in the world to say "we are going through a process and will comment on it at the appropriate time". I think he was well aware of what he was implying.

I don't think there is a get out clause for him.

I didn't see Juddys comments as the way McLure and most have. Was very diplomatic and careful with his words. Sure they could be seen pointing to Teague being out of running, but his comments on MMM clarify his specific, clever wording. People need to get over themselves if they're seriously having a ping at Juddy. Like to see how we'd all go being grilled on the club in media town and being a director. Is a unique, difficult position to be in and one he does well.
I actually thought his comments were more related to the previous coach ...

I actually thought his comments were more related to the previous coach ...
If anything, I agree. On that, I think it could be seen as a little disrespectful to have a crack, which I don't think it was. More than they didn't was another super fresh coach - rather one who's had experience in successful environments and experience coaching his own team - something Teague has.

If we believe he's the best fit for us, give him a 2 year contract and see what he can do. Not keen on taking a big swing at a Lyon or Roos or even Voss/Scott and throwing 3-5 years at them. Could spell disaster, and this decision WILL make or break out hunt for #17.

Has there been any more word on Ratten?
Been keen on him since hearing Walker talk so highly about him on SEN the night Bolts was sacked.

Judd would be the most naive man in Melbourne if he didn't expect that he would be asked a question about our coaching situation in a panel show in which he is a member. If he hadn't considered his response previously he is inept and has done our club, players, coaching staff and Teague a great disservice.

Easiest thing in the world to say "we are going through a process and will comment on it at the appropriate time". I think he was well aware of what he was implying.

I don't think there is a get out clause for him.
Perhaps. I just think he is a better footballer and behind the scenes man than orator.

Everything is easy when it's new and fresh...and fun....and.....but when things get tough...

Why didn't Craig hang around?
What value was Walls to Bolton? Not much right?

Terrible idea around mentoring. You're either in or out, not watching from the fence to offer some suggestions as was the case with Walls & Bolton.
At least Walls came for nothing. Roos? Spend the money better, I say.

Craig left for the big $$ from English rugby. Many commented about the hole his departure left. Walls was a volunteer and didn't seem to help Bolton much from the outside. I don't mind the idea of a director of coaching, the coach and mentor need to be on the same page though.

Craig left for the big $$ from English rugby. Many commented about the hole his departure left. Walls was a volunteer and didn't seem to help Bolton much from the outside. I don't mind the idea of a director of coaching, the coach and mentor need to be on the same page though.
But not this guy

Just doing a great job as football director....not.....great on field but off it snob, me me me, big head and full of himself and very distanced and unfriendly with players except murphy Cripps Simpson and Cripps. Not much difference as a captain at both clubs,great on field but all about himself off it....needs to go asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back