Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
Carlton's "due diligence/process" hasn't had particularly good results in the past. We've dumped an up and coming coach in Wayne Brittain, sacked Ratts who took us to two finals campaigns and hired two super-coaches (Pagan and Malthouse) who took us to wooden spoons. The failure of two super coaches suggests "big name" coaches are far from a guarantee of success. Caveat Emptor? Maybe it's time Carlton actually learned from history.

I don't think there was a whole lot of process/due diligence in the Pagan/Malthouse appointments. Old Carlton at its worst/ most incompetent. At least there are 5 different voices on the panel and some consideration of the supporter base at the present.

prisoner777

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2013
Bluesville Intergalactic Community
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think there was a whole lot of process/due diligence in the Pagan/Malthouse appointments. Old Carlton at its worst/ most incompetent. At least there are 5 different voices on the panel and some consideration of the supporter base at the present.
I agree but I mentioned them as the current due diligence seems to be framed in the context of getting a big name coach.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
I agree but I mentioned them as the current due diligence seems to be framed in the context of getting a big name coach.

I think the initial plan was to go with the experience, but due diligence is about being permeable to change as evidence presents itself. Being right from the word go isn't as important as making the right call in the end. Teague would have moved from outside chance to most likely over his interim period.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
While Teague has certainly staked a claim to be our next coach I am interested in how we perform in our last three games. If we have major stumbles (like the Roos are now doing under Shaw) do we need to have a major rethink on Teague?

Wouldn't have thought so. But stranger things have happened.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
The Voss/Roos combo is diabolically stupid.

The fact the fans want Teague and over random big names should tell them something. Just because Bolts didn’t work in the end the answer isn’t to swing back into messiah mode.

Get Teague and bolster the assistants around him. Hopefully we can land some trade targets as well.

On what grounds has Voss shown he’d be a good coach, seems many port fans want him out the door ASAP and we all know how he went at Brisbane.

Roos is more myth than man now, laps up this crap he’s some sort of coaching guru who can invent winning culture.

He’d be all care and no responsibility and blame everyone else if we didn’t get to where we wanted to go.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Just had a bad thought: what if Teague doesn’t actually want the job? What if he wants to stick to being an assistant?

I think the way we stuck at it today when we could have been blown away showed that the players really play for him and want him to be coach and b) he wants to be their coach.

4thchicken

All Australian
Mar 31, 2010
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Can understand Teague being favourite but imo, ratten can't be discounted. The Saints game shapes as an interesting one (assuming saints beat swans and we lose to cats - as per ladder position).

If we win (and in the subsequent round lose to cats whilst saints beat sydney) then
teague finishes with a 6w, 5L record
ratten finishes 4w, 2L record

If we lose to the saints however it could end up being
teague 5w, 6L
Ratten 5w, 1L

Whilst the saints end of season draw has been easier than that of the blues, a 5/1 or 4/2 W/L record, combined with his coaching history would have to put him into consideration at the blues.

Stephene

Senior List
Jul 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Perths best sports journo (haggers) now saying Cogs wants to go to Hawthorn to play under Clarko...his people are telling him to hold off as Clarko is now coming to us..so Clarko and Cogs as Blues next year:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Perths best sports journo (haggers) now saying Cogs wants to go to Hawthorn to play under Clarko...his people are telling him to hold off as Clarko is now coming to us..so Clarko and Cogs as Blues next year:rolleyes:

Even comparing Haggers to the 2nd worst journo in existence is like comparing Athorn to Judd.

Burgers45

Witnessed 8 flags
Apr 1, 2011
Mornington Peninsula, Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Checking out the Dawks board, this post is causing a great deal of Angst and discussion amongst their supporters....

Listening to Hagdorn's comments I am s**tting myself that Clarko goes to Carlton. I didn't buy it at first and have listened to every media bit where he adamantly denies it.

However, I was at a function over the weekend with an ex hawk that I won't name, but if you connect the dots well done.

His words to me were this Clarko will never be a hawthorn person, is all about himself and is trying to get $2m/year from the blues. He went on to say that he went for the North job and didn't get it which seems impossible that they would choose Rhyce Shaw over him.

Came across as really disgruntled with something Clarko had done to him even though
he never coached him
. As such a lover of the hawks it was concerning that this was the state of the relationship between our current coach and one of our most decorated past players.

EDIT: This is being misunderstood as news that Clarko is leaving, I dont believe a word of what he said and this may be the wrong thread for this, but there was a clear disdain for clarko coming out and even hinted that in his belief anybody could have coached that group to similar success, and the treatment of mitchell/lewis/hodge was something that really bothered him.

I am sharing to give an insight most readers wouldn't have, and nothing to prove here.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees

If he’s the purveyor of the mail from the west then I’ve just become as confident as I’ll ever be that Cogs is coming to us, that’s just utter rubbish.

Any news on Cogs?

C'mon mate spill the beans and say he is ours! ;)

xxxxxxx

No one should announce such a thing as an absolute certainty and not even if there may have been an agreement signed off on, as it will amount to nothing, given the player is still officially under contract....and then there's Gil.

Percy2257

The Urgio to be Sergio
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Tom Morris has just announced on AW that Teague will be named as Carlton’s coach at a press conference tomorrow.
I don’t want to be negative but after North did that they suffered a humiliating defeat.
C’mon Boys, Saturday is a big day. Celebrating Crippa’s 100th and Teague’s appointment. Win!

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Tom Morris has just announced on AW that Teague will be named as Carlton’s coach at a press conference tomorrow.
I don’t want to be negative but after North did that they suffered a humiliating defeat.
C’mon Boys, Saturday is a big day. Celebrating Crippa’s 100th and Teague’s appointment. Win!

Good to see Tom Morris reads the age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back