Coach Our next mistake

Remove this Banner Ad

elbarton

All Australian
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
…is the succession plan. Clearly contrived so that Kochie doesn’t have to make a tough call on Ken, in effect admitting he got it wrong, instead opting to let him leave in what will be described as ‘on his own terms’.

We will usher in the Carr era, a Port person who will bring the Facebook masses back on side immediately, without truly finding out what candidates are out there, ready, willing and able to take this strong list to the next level.

It has been mentioned elsewhere recently, but we have barely had a competitive, open coaching appointment in our AFL history - Cahill initially, handed over to his assistant Choco, replaced by caretaker-made-permanent Primus, a two-man race which turned into ‘last man standing’ with Ken, almost certainly to be succeeded by Carr.

My answer to the ‘who you gonna get?’ crowd, has always been ‘the best candidate’. It’a not my job, nor do I have the information, to name names, indeed no AFL fan has any idea which current assistant coach is actually good. No one can reliably pick their Watters, Tudors, Neelds or McCartneys from their McRaes, Kingsleys, Clarksons and so on.

So where this leaves us, is locked into, publicly, someone who may or may not be the best candidate. A decision/process determined by the same folks who have brought you 3 unnecessary Ken extensions (in so doing, endorsing his methods to Ken himself, the club and its members, and the wider footy industry). The board cannot be allowed to squib this vital upcoming decision that will shape the next 5-10 years of the club, with a list that a great coach has a huge opportunity to achieve what his predecessor couldn’t.

Now, this puts the club into another, completely avoidable (one could easily keep a list at this point) position, of potentially having to rescind its succession offer to Josh Carr (and no more difficult than for his premiership captain who will provide his input to the board). But it is far too important to get the right person than save face at this point. Unfortunately, 12 years of demonstrated performance indicates that our board will opt for the latter.

Somehow, some way, if we are to turn this club around, the board must commit to a competitive process to select our next coach.

Whoever the next coach is Carr or someone else needs to break up the Chad Cornes Hartlett etc boys club and bring in some fresh ideas from outside.
Actually need to get assistants that have experience outside of the fishbowl of port Adelaide. Cornes, Hartlett and Goldsack need to be removed at the very least.

Actually need to get assistants that have experience outside of the fishbowl of port Adelaide. Cornes, Hartlett and Goldsack need to be removed at the very least.
What you need is a head coach who will actually listen to them / delegate. How many different assistant coaches have we had now? Are you telling me every forward coach we've had over the last x number of years has come in with the fresh idea of 'bomb it to Dixon'?

Tyson Goldsack spent 12 seasons at Collingwood and played 165 games for them. Based on what he did with the Port Magpies I am not sold on his Coaching ability.

I have no problem with giving Josh Carr a go at it. When he was assistant to Hinkley I thought Matthew Nicks was just another Hinkley clone and that any side he coached would play with the same dysfunctional Hinkley style game plan but from what I saw on Thursday the Cows have a more direct game plan than we do. If he is allowed to do his own thing maybe Josh Carr will surprise us all?

Whoever the next coach is Carr or someone else needs to break up the Chad Cornes Hartlett etc boys club and bring in some fresh ideas from outside.
Carr spent 2 years at Freo and the rest of his coaching with Port, probably knows Chad, Hartlett and co. very well. I seriously doubt hes gonna be bringing anyone over and the club wont go chasing anyone. They don't want to get rid of Hinkley in the first place let alone sweep a broom through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wanted it to be Carr but he has been way to indoctrinated to Hinkles way that i want someone thats going to be completely new to the club and has a big ass broom with him when he enters the doors at Alberton

We need to bring an exorcist in to the club to get all of the coaches the heck out of the club and start again

Wanted it to be Carr but he has been way to indoctrinated to Hinkles way that i want someone thats going to be completely new to the club and has a big ass broom with him when he enters the doors at Alberton

We need to bring an exorcist in to the club to get all of the coaches the * out of the club and start again
Yes please.

We need to bring an exorcist in to the club to get all of the coaches the * out of the club and start again

We went down that path in 2012 and appointed a panel that included David Parkin, Peter Schwab, Bruce Abernethy, Peter Rhode and Keith Thomas. They recommended Ken Hinkley.

That is the same Bruce Abernethy who unsuccessfully stood for the Board at the last AGM, what a coincidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back