Not open for further replies.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we make finals will Pyke be back?

Yes

I think he is senior coach next year regardless. I don’t believe the club can fire him, or fire a senior coach again this soon.

The club needs to have a massive clean our of assistant coaches to give the playing group a new least on life.

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are hearing from other clubs that the senior coach lightening up is key to improved performance

Hardwick Buckley maybe Lyons

Who knows. I just want a good player with next years pick
Not gonna be pick 2 count on that. AFL is giving that to the Suns cause they know it will be ours. If it were Carlton’s they wouldn’t be .

mcattack

All Australian
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Both made it to a grand final and lost, and Pyke has the overall better record so far
Not disagreeing. I don't think Pyke is a bad coach, especially when compare the pair ... but one has built and is building a list with a good mix of youth and experience. The other inherited a list and is letting it slide into old age.

Not disagreeing. I don't think Pyke is a bad coach, especially when compare the pair ... but one has built and is building a list with a good mix of youth and experience. The other inherited a list and is letting it slide into old age.

Ummm, Buckley inherited a finals winning list and tore it apart, sending them down the ladder for years.

It's only in the last year or so that he's turned things around.

Pyke had more "success" with a worse list earlier on. It's only now that things are falling apart for him like they did Buckley

mcattack

All Australian
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ummm, Buckley inherited a finals winning list and tore it apart, sending them down the ladder for years.

Pyke had more "success" with a worse list earlier on. It's only now that things are falling apart for him like they did Buckley
Well I guess we should give Pyke the time to turn it around as Buckley has done ;) will he make tough calls is the question?

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
B Laird Talia Cheney
HB Seedsman Lever Brown
C B Crouch Sloane Smith
HF Atkins Walker Milera
F Betts Jenkins Lynch
FOL Jacobs Thompson Douglas
I/C Van Berlo MacKay McGovern M Crouch

This is Pykes first team round 1 2016. Hartigan was injured and came in for round 2.

The only changes on that 2016 list to last weeks is, Jacobs injury - would ROB have had a look in if Sauce wasn't a forced out? 2 retirements, 2 asked to leave - who would probably still be in the best 22 and 1 delisting.

The AFC/Pyke are too conservative with our list management.

B Laird Talia Cheney
HB Seedsman Lever Brown
C B Crouch Sloane Smith
HF Atkins Walker Milera
F Betts Jenkins Lynch
FOL Jacobs Thompson Douglas
I/C Van Berlo MacKay McGovern M Crouch

This is Pykes first team round 1 2016. Hartigan was injured and came in for round 2.

The only changes on that 2016 list to last weeks is, Jacobs injury - would ROB have had a look in if Sauce wasn't a forced out? 2 retirements, 2 asked to leave - who would probably still be in the best 22 and 1 delisting.

The AFC/Pyke are too conservative with our list management.

Check out this:

Changes since R1 2016

Adelaide - made the semi-final in 2016
Out: Cheney (delisted), Lynch (injured), Jacobs (injured), Thompson (retired), Van Berlo (retired), Lever (left), McGovern (left), Douglas (omitted)
In: Keath, Kelly, Greenwood, Murphy, Knight, O'Brien, Hartigan, Stengle

Two players dropped. Zero first round picks brought into the side. Every "in" was on the list in 2016 except for Murphy and Stengle.

Geelong - made the prelim in 2016
Out: Bartel (retired), Caddy (left), Enright (retired), Gregson (delisted), Henderson (omitted), Kersten (traded), Kolodjashnij (injured), Lang (traded), Lonergan (retired), Mackie (retired), McCarthy (traded), Motlop (left), Murdoch (delisted), Smith (omitted)
In: Tuohy, Stewart, Kelly, Dahlhaus, Ratugolea, Rohan, Ablett, Atkins, Clark, Bews, Parfitt, Miers, O'Connor, Henry

Four players omitted, another three pushed out through trades, couple of blokes retired early. Four decent players brought in through trade, two early picks playing. More than half the "ins" not on the list in 2016.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Pyke is striking me as the type who would be awesome as the head of football. He's management, he'd fit in well there. Replace Burton with him and bring in a new senior coach for 2020.
This is the vibe I get from Pyke as well. He comes across as a bean counter with a good understanding of strategy. I'd probably have him in Campo's role as head of strategy and find a new coach who knows how to motivate and hold his players accountable.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Imagine pyke with the support staff Eddie provides Buckley with...

Gut feel is that we’re criminally overpaying some people. Bit it could also be that we’re bloated with unnecessary staff or don’t pay the full cap because we think we’re just that good. My one and only dealing with the club, the CFO, smacked of a public service mentality.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Chalk and cheese.

Assuming Pyke would listen to them you make a great point.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No doubt that Pyke wants us to win more games, but he’s not actually of the mind that anything needs to change to do that. This is his crew and we’re going about putting the team on the park in exactly the manner that he wants to.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Gut feel is that we’re criminally overpaying some people. Bit it could also be that we’re bloated with unnecessary staff or don’t pay the full cap because we think we’re just that good. My one and only dealing with the club, the CFO, smacked of a public service mentality.

We overpay our average players too.
Dmac and Douglas for example been getting 400-500 k for years is poor management

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Buckley forced the changes early on that he thought were necessary to rebuild into a challenging unit. Pyke just took over a list and is driving it to it’s inevitable demise. The hardest decision that he made was offering Lyons a contract that he knew would likely not be enough. But otherwise he’s done SFA when compared to Buckley.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well I guess we should give Pyke the time to turn it around as Buckley has done ;) will he make tough calls is the question?

No is the answer. Look at Thommo’s pity contract when his money could have been given to Lyons who could played half forward instead of Otto or an injured Greenwood. Then you’ve got the non-selection of Hendo after being BOG the game prior going into 2016 finals. This occurred because the extra game would trigger an extension. Winning should come first, plenty of time to sort out list management at the end of the season. We still could have traded him to Hawks for a 4th rounder. But Pyke doesn’t prioritise winning ahead of everything that it should be well ahead of.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Check out this:

Changes since R1 2016

Adelaide - made the semi-final in 2016
Out: Cheney (delisted), Lynch (injured), Jacobs (injured), Thompson (retired), Van Berlo (retired), Lever (left), McGovern (left), Douglas (omitted)
In: Keath, Kelly, Greenwood, Murphy, Knight, O'Brien, Hartigan, Stengle

Two players dropped. Zero first round picks brought into the side. Every "in" was on the list in 2016 except for Murphy and Stengle.

Geelong - made the prelim in 2016
Out: Bartel (retired), Caddy (left), Enright (retired), Gregson (delisted), Henderson (omitted), Kersten (traded), Kolodjashnij (injured), Lang (traded), Lonergan (retired), Mackie (retired), McCarthy (traded), Motlop (left), Murdoch (delisted), Smith (omitted)
In: Tuohy, Stewart, Kelly, Dahlhaus, Ratugolea, Rohan, Ablett, Atkins, Clark, Bews, Parfitt, Miers, O'Connor, Henry

Four players omitted, another three pushed out through trades, couple of blokes retired early. Four decent players brought in through trade, two early picks playing. More than half the "ins" not on the list in 2016.

That was the Van Berle debacle from memory. Harto should have been in that side and VB should have already had a red line ruled through him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back