Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is the new coach comes in and lo-and-behold we get off to a flyer, winning seven of our first 10 games. Then any 'vision' the coach might have had (i.e. bringing in new players, list turnover, changing the gameplan, etc) goes out the window as we think we're in flag contention.
Which we were to be fair.

A mate of mine used to always say about work " let them practice elsewhere and come and work for me when there good at what they do."
We need the best coach available, but remember whoever we get it will be a rebuild.

Our list is half decent, Sloane and Crouch bros are a near no. 1 midfield. Just need some b@lls in the coaching dept which only an experienced coach will have, no second guessing or f***s given on what players, the board or or assistanT coaches want.

Nothing will change unless we move his assistants on.

I'd be inclined to keep Pyke and bring in some support. Get rid of Hart, Campo etc and bring in some talent. Preferably not Basset as I think we need to move past ex players. Sando had Bailey, Campo had Woosha when Walsh died. He needs a quality senior assistant/head of coaching.
Perhaps we wont move on any assistant until Pyke is moved.

Not if they’re changing clubs.
I mean in the role itself.

Caracella has interviewed for numerous roles and not gotten them. Is he just a bad talker or does he not want it enough ??

Not last time we interviewed they didn't.

Having to inherit the existing coaching set up would put all but the desperate off. Any coach worthy of the job would have choosing the rest of the panel as a rolled gold non-negotiable. It’s be worse now, coaches won’t come unless there’s higher up footy dept changes. Nobody will want to work under the Fagan, Smart, Burton system.

I mean in the role itself.

Caracella has interviewed for numerous roles and not gotten them. Is he just a bad talker or does he not want it enough ??

Among them would definitely be coaches that max out at the level. But I’d say the ones changing clubs are still motivated for the top job and are doing so to expand their knowledge base or lob into a spot that will get them the interim gig.

No to all of them, except Ratten maybe.

NO MORE ROOKIE COACHES.

We have been shy since Ayers and have gone with a rookie coach every time since. I am sick of it. I am sick of blokes that have to learn the ropes. Get someone that has been a head coach before, preferably successful, I don't care what it costs. 4 goes at a rookie coach is enough (admittedly Walsh's go was cut short), time to try an experienced head coach again.

No to all of them, except Ratten maybe.

NO MORE ROOKIE COACHES.

We have been shy since Ayers and have gone with a rookie coach every time since. I am sick of it. I am sick of blokes that have to learn the ropes. Get someone that has been a head coach before, preferably successful, I don't care what it costs. 4 goes at a rookie coach is enough (admittedly Walsh's go was cut short), time to try an experienced head coach again.

That’s fine to say that, but which “experienced” coach are we going to get?

Ratten? Voss? Neeld? Leppitsche? McKenna? Sanderson? Eade? Bomber Thompson? Malthouse? Roos? Hird? Wallace?

Bolton or Richardson might be available...

But how many of those are realistically coming or would we be remotely interested in?

Reality is the vast majority of premiership coaches are in their “rookie” gigs.

If I’m not mistaken, Mick Malthouse was the last non-rookie coach to win a premiership.

I’m not against picking an Experienced coach, I just don’t think the right one will be available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to be a coach, who will be allowed to shake the place up and make any changes they feel is needed ( to the list and football department) and bring in their own men. Not just another yes man. Pyke no doubt interviewed well as he told roo etc, what they wanted to hear.

The problem is the new coach comes in and lo-and-behold we get off to a flyer, winning seven of our first 10 games. Then any 'vision' the coach might have had (i.e. bringing in new players, list turnover, changing the gameplan, etc) goes out the window as we think we're in flag contention.
Any coach who hints at wanting to rebuild like that won't get the job in the first place.

I've seen this bloke's work up close, probably wouldn't be interested in a Head Coaching role but he'd be bloody brilliant in a David Noble Brisbane Lions type role as General Manager of football. A truly great football brain.
Hmmm.....Nah, didn't play for Adelaide so he's not qualified.

No one (good) would touch us with a 10 ft pole.

Why would they? Two team town, we eat them alive when they lose, players crack the sooks and stop playing. The real kicker though is the footy department. They’d have to work with s**t operators that no one else wants.

Hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

What about the senior assistant option as well. We need to look at the senior but also the option of pissing off Camporeale after he has destroyed us for so long.

Where is the option for Martin Mattner

How much worse would things have to get until Pyke loses his job?
Is the time now?
Is it a loss to Gold Coast next game?
Do they continue through the year to see if there is improvement?
Or does he have credit in the bank for making a GF?

Personally, sentiment is out the window. If a coach is going into a game with a plan like we did last night and also isn’t going to at least get us playing finals, it’s goodbye.
I’ve been patient enough for 21 years to see our next flag. Do whatever has to happen in order to win us a premiership, even if that means cut people through the year in order to try to improve our football department.
The problem also extends far further than the coach in our off field department unfortunately

I just hope we get someone who isn't afraid to make sweeping changes and understands how to develop a winning culture - which we clearly don't have atm. With the current situation, surely we have the talent to blood and mix in with our existing talent at least give something for a new coach to work with / attract talent ... wow that game was bad just wow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back