hey shorty

Hall of Famer
Jun 15, 2005
Where the Hills have eyes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yep if Nicks has been chosen for his 'relationships' skills, then we have to get a more 'tactical' senior assistant to balance it out

By no means am I doubting Nicks' tactical skills FTR, it's always occurred to me that Nicks seems to have a good mixture of both aspects, saw him as a frontrunner from a long way out
Given we are likely to have 3 new coaches on board I'd say we are looking for a wide ranging tactical plan.... which would be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We need a coach that is good with player relationships first and foremost. It's the modern way.

We can get a tactical genius as an assistant.
I get where you're coming from, but not sure I completely agree.

In pre-game situations yes, but on game day you need a coach that has the tactical and football nous to make split second decisions.

If the person is just a relationship guy, then all you will get is a guy that will play the percentages on game day, which is safe and ok, but it will not win you a premiership.

TheLeftFist8

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Everyone rightly places some weight on the fact prospective coaches have learnt under Clarkson, or one of his key disciples.

What is it specifically that is magical about the Clarkson/Hawthorn model?

Culture? Leadership/footy dept structure? Tactics? Whole club structure? Simply getting quality staff/players?

If we identify the key elements of success, we could obviously target people to put around Nicks to enhance those specifics.

Scorpus

The Boys Are Sacked!
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I get where you're coming from, but not sure I completely agree.

In pre-game situations yes, but on game day you need a coach that has the tactical and football nous to make split second decisions.

If the person is just a relationship guy, then all you will get is a guy that will play the percentages on game day, which is safe and ok, but it will not win you a premiership.
You just get the assistant to make game day decisions because you delegate that to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

craig crowing

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hope there is good reason for this delay in appointment as really should have been done before trade period end fiasco.
To outside media and general perception that not looking really professional.
But get us the right coach and support team and no Burton fingers we should be onwards and upwards.

Cockwomble

Team Captain
May 3, 2016
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Whyalla under 9's
Will be really interesting to see the make up of the complete footy dept. certainly couldn't be any worse than what the boys have had to endure for the last 2 to 3 years.

GameofSloanes

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hope there is good reason for this delay in appointment as really should have been done before trade period end fiasco.
To outside media and general perception that not looking really professional.
But get us the right coach and support team and no Burton fingers we should be onwards and upwards.
Disagree, rushing to make a decision for the sake of having a coach is unprofessional. Getting the right coach, regardless of how long it takes, is what is most important

Jul 31, 2007
The land of draft picks
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sin City Swamprats, Dethklok
Rutten is the obvious one, but he might not want to come back here while we are such a shitshow.

A good left field bet would be Matthew Nicks. Originally from SA, pretty experienced and I think he played with Roo at West Adelaide.
TexForPM I hope you loaded up. I'll take my commission thanks.

Sanders

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wasn’t Sando supposed to be a relationship guru? A guy who would be very tight with the players and get them to play for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom