Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Times almost up for Pykie unfortunately.

Who should be our next senior coach, what attributes should he have?

No real standouts for me, but came up with some names:
-Rob Harvey (Collingwood);
-Matthew Knights (Geelong);
-Josh Francou (GC);
-Adam Yze (Hawks);
-Sam Mitchell (Hawks);
-Scott Burns (Hawks);
-Nathan Bassett (Port);
-Brett Ratten (Saints).

The smartest option for me would be to get someone from Hawthorn with a bit of mongrel to him, guaranteed success. Yze is rated enormously by Clarkson, Mitchell probably won't come but Scotty Burns who was in the running last time would be much better qualified now.
Brett Ratten deserves another chance, Bassett and Francou probably not ready but would luv to entice them as senior assistant coaches.

*Knowing how the club works it will probably be Campo appointed with VB as senior assistant and Dmac retiring to be midf coach.

Thoughts?

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nothing will change unless we move his assistants on.

I'd be inclined to keep Pyke and bring in some support. Get rid of Hart, Campo etc and bring in some talent. Preferably not Basset as I think we need to move past ex players. Sando had Bailey, Campo had Woosha when Walsh died. He needs a quality senior assistant/head of coaching.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
You can rule out half of that list because A) they hold comfortable positions they wouldn't leave and B) We are Adelaide.

But for interests sake Ratten is the best of the lot and has learnt in several environments. Bassett hasn't convinced me in the slightest although previously I wanted him.

Francou wouldn't come back here for any money in the world, Burns doesn't want to live in Adelaide again and Harvey doesn't strike me as a head coach.

Yze has been around the traps for a while, Mitchell not quite long enough

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
You can rule out half of that list because A) they hold comfortable positions they wouldn't leave and B) We are Adelaide.

But for interests sake Ratten is the best of the lot and has learnt in several environments. Bassett hasn't convinced me in the slightest although previously I wanted him.

Francou wouldn't come back here for any money in the world, Burns doesn't want to live in Adelaide again and Harvey doesn't strike me as a head coach.

Yze has been around the traps for a while, Mitchell not quite long enough

don't be silly.
anyone would kill for a senior coaching position.

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Coaches dont seem to get sacked now the AFL has introduced the 100% soft cap spend tax.

Who was the last coach to be terminated by his club and how long did he have left on his contract?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
If that's the case the club has not supported him with the staff needed. A few of the better ones have moved on. Did we make a good effort to retain them.
It's clear we didn't do that, but my issue is why not speak up ?? I get he got us to a GF and that's great, but if you're not being given what you want then it deserves to be told.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-16/next-off-the-bench-senior-coaches-in-waiting

A reasonable article listing the main options. No doubt there's others, but gives a run down of their resume's.

Scott Burns for mine has served a great apprenticeship. 5 years at West Coast, 4 at Collingwood and now at Hawthorn.

Blake Caracella is another, has had a lot of success as an assistant coach.
There's one thing that concerns me as a long time assistant, are they comfortable in their roles to the point where it's easy just to stay there ??

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
Longmire or bust. We have proven time and time again we are not a place for untried coaches.
A mate of mine used to always say about work " let them practice elsewhere and come and work for me when there good at what they do."
We need the best coach available, but remember whoever we get it will be a rebuild.

Pyke interviewed very well and had a clear vision of what he wanted us to do.

Hasn't happened.

The problem is the new coach comes in and lo-and-behold we get off to a flyer, winning seven of our first 10 games. Then any 'vision' the coach might have had (i.e. bringing in new players, list turnover, changing the gameplan, etc) goes out the window as we think we're in flag contention.

Crowhorse

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sydney are the only club who's gameplan is worse than ours.

I don’t think being based at SCG would help with that, and they have good smart assistants that come through the ranks there. It’s only their development which is gone to cr@p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back