Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Our entire football department is so bad it's hard to know who truly needs to go and who is competent
It's easy really. Who else would get a job at another club?

Pyke? He'd get one as an assistant in a second. Hasn't been given top notch resources during his tenure.
Mattner? He'd get an assistant gig easily.
Clarke? Probably, or keep his gig in the AFLW
Godden? No, he'd be back to the SANFL.
Campo? Probably, but he's never really had any known offers elsewhere, or looked to move to improve his skills. He's happy in his safe little bubble
Hart? Hell no.
Burton? See above.
Reid? Would he have gotten the job in the first place if he wasn't connected to Roo?
Hass? Hasn't gotten a job in the AFL that wasn't given to him by Brett Burton.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I think Bass should be our next coach

We need someone who is super competitive
Someone who gets the best out of players and can inspire them
Someone who can make a hard decision regardless of the fall out.
Someone who is a bit unusual.

Bass is all of those, no way Roo would ever appoint him though.

mcattack

All Australian
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

Bass is all of those, no way Roo would ever appoint him.
Problem is you can't keep replacing snr coaches and not much else expecting a different result. Snr coach should be able to pick majority of his assistants.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our entire football department is so bad it's hard to know who truly needs to go and who is competent

But but but, surely there is no substitute for people who know our style, who fit our establishment, who can reinforce our successful culture, who are non threatening, whose previous career efforts need to be rewarded.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Bass is all of those, no way Roo would ever appoint him though.

Right on. This club needs a shake up and I long for an impact coach that is strong enough to change the way the club operates with football. It's not just about the players and game day. Blight came in years ago and immediately sacked a handful of favourite sons and was publicly intolerant of substandard performances. It's only short term but it works.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Right on. This club needs a shake up and I long for an impact coach that is strong enough to change the way the club operates with football. It's not just about the players and game day. Blight came in years ago and immediately sacked a handful of favourite sons and was publicly intolerant of substandard performances. It's only short term but it works.

A first time senior coach would not have the courage to do this.

Clarkson would have the runs on the board to do this. Would not want him but so could Lyon and John Worsfold. No one else would have the courage like Blight did to pull that off.

That’s why we need Pyke to put his big boy pants on and stand his ground by dropping a few underperforming players before they get him sacked. His job is now on the line over the next 7 weeks.

Question is, had he lost the players?

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Question is, had he lost the players?

I think the balance has tipped where he has lost more than he has. I don't think it is all his fault but I think the GF result, the camp and even small things like making the hard decisions at selection and dual captaincy has meant gradually the players deep down don't think he can take them back to a GF.

I think when you have watched football long enough you have a gut feel and for me there is a real lack of passion, energy and belief in where they are headed. Of course the players are trying but you can see something is not right and really hasn't been for 18 months.

I think results confuse people but a win / loss ratio doesn't always tell the story. A win against Gold Coast by 100 points doesn't mean everything has turned around.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the balance has tipped where he has lost more than he has. I don't think it is all his fault but I think the GF result, the camp and even small things like making the hard decisions at selection and dual captaincy has meant gradually the players deep down don't think he can take them back to a GF.

I think when you have watched football long enough you have a gut feel and for me there is a real lack of passion, energy and belief in where they are headed. Of course the players are trying but you can see something is not right and really hasn't been for 18 months.

I think results confuse people but a win / loss ratio doesn't always tell the story. A win against Gold Coast by 100 points doesn't mean everything has turned around.

Yep. I agree with you.

I think he needs to turn the list over ASAP and get games into the younger players and make that his team. The Grand Final and most of this team were Phil Walsh’s team.

If he does nothing, he will be gone by mid season next year. If we miss the final 8 and minimal list changes are put on the table, I think he could get sacked this year. I very much doubt thst will happen as I think he is strong willed enough to see the writing on the wall and implement the changes now, however if he doesn’t he is a dead man walking.

Last edited:

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would love to say regardless of who is coaching, the deeply flawed AFC culture means we can't blame Pyke. However, it is Pyke who keeps selecting guys like Mackay and Jenkins. It's Pyke who amazingly can't see the deep flaws in Douglas. Has actually watched the GF.

Whoever coaches the AFC is irrelevant. The culture and executive are badly broken.

On The Crouch

Of the Matt variety only
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It seems like we can’t have a coach for more than 4 years before calling for him to be sacked. Sacking the senior coach sends the message that your doing something about the poor performance however, are you really addressing the problem if you’re back to where you started? Sacking the the senior coach is actually the easy thing to do because you’re putting all the responsibility on the senior coach. There are other key decision makers at fault as well but they seem to survive each time we sack a coach. We go through the same cycle over and over but end up in the same position each time. Each time a new coach comes in you get a spike in performance, which is natural but that spike doesn’t last long term.

You have to question whether the senior coach is handicapped to some degree in the assistants they bring in. After all, we do have career assistant coaches in Camporeale and Clarke. Then there’s Hart who returned from his failed coaching stint at Collingwood. I wouldn’t be putting all the blame on Pyke. We really need to do an external review. None of these internal reviews where there are no issues and everyone is doing a great job.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's funny isn't it when exactly the same Executive meet every 3-4 years to sack the coach. Hmm, there's a story there.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
It seems like we can’t have a coach for more than 4 years before calling for him to be sacked. Sacking the senior coach sends the message that your doing something about the poor performance however, are you really addressing the problem if you’re back to where you started? Sacking the the senior coach is actually the easy thing to do because you’re putting all the responsibility on the senior coach. There are other key decision makers at fault as well but they seem to survive each time we sack a coach. We go through the same cycle over and over but end up in the same position each time. Each time a new coach comes in you get a spike in performance, which is natural but that spike doesn’t last long term.

You have to question whether the senior coach is handicapped to some degree in the assistants they bring in. After all, we do have career assistant coaches in Camporeale and Clarke. Then there’s Hart who returned from his failed coaching stint at Collingwood. I wouldn’t be putting all the blame on Pyke. We really need to do an external review. None of these internal reviews where there are no issues and everyone is doing a great job.

Agree

It is very difficult for us and Port to attract and retain non-SA assistant coaches with the soft cap in place

But in one way or another some changes have to happen. It is clear we are underperforming in key areas. I too would be looking to improve the assistants before dropping Pyke

But change there must be

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Don't think you can clean out the assistants and keep Pyke at the same time. Do the whole lot at once and start fresh.
Personally I wouldn't even be averse to cleaning out the more senior players and leadership group too if trades can be manufactured. They've been found just as wanting.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I would love to say regardless of who is coaching, the deeply flawed AFC culture means we can't blame Pyke. However, it is Pyke who keeps selecting guys like Mackay and Jenkins. It's Pyke who amazingly can't see the deep flaws in Douglas. Has actually watched the GF.

Whoever coaches the AFC is irrelevant. The culture and executive are badly broken.
Yep this.

The support staff have all survived multiple coaches, it's just that the coach seems the easiest to get rid of.

Honestly, what a nothing season, like last year. You would think they would pump 30+ games into young players over these 2 seasons, but instead we waste time on players that have failed us again and again.

We go flat out making the eight at all costs. * everything else.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
We need our next coach to be someone who has never been incontact with the AFC... Forget Bassett, Teague ETC and Roo better f*** off if he think he will bring Goodwin it. I want a coach that has a mean streak, that will break a phone in the coaches box, scream and shout and carry on.. a super competitve coach and a coach that can give a good spray. sick of these soft placid types like sando and Pyke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back