Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Yze knows he does not have the job, but does not feel the need to add more to the Nicks has the job story. Allowing our club to break the story.

If Yze said this morning he did not get the job it pretty much confirms, from an actual source and not media guesswork, Nicks has it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yeah fair call.

Very professional if that’s the case. As opposed to Sumich!

I don't see it as a question mark over his appointment. If there are two excellent applicants and they are very close, why shouldn't the panel have a split decision? One of the principles of panel selection is to get some variety of thought into the panel, not a bunch of like-minded clones. A split decision over two excellent applicants is almost to be expected, and a good sign that (a) the panel is capable of some variety of thought, and (b) the position was attractive to a number of high quality applicants.

It would be a completely different matter if some of the panel objected to the preferred applicant and thought him or her unsuitable to the position. But a split decision does not mean that.

cheers
Really who cares what the panel thought beyond their final recommendation. There is no reason for it to have got out and it sends a far better message that Nicks was unanimous and the standout.

Yep if Nicks has been chosen for his 'relationships' skills, then we have to get a more 'tactical' senior assistant to balance it out

By no means am I doubting Nicks' tactical skills FTR, it's always occurred to me that Nicks seems to have a good mixture of both aspects, saw him as a frontrunner from a long way out
Given we are likely to have 3 new coaches on board I'd say we are looking for a wide ranging tactical plan.... which would be great.

3crsxr.jpg
All I'm gonna say is.

I told you so..

Hope you all loaded up.. I did.

We need a coach that is good with player relationships first and foremost. It's the modern way.

We can get a tactical genius as an assistant.

I get where you're coming from, but not sure I completely agree.

In pre-game situations yes, but on game day you need a coach that has the tactical and football nous to make split second decisions.

If the person is just a relationship guy, then all you will get is a guy that will play the percentages on game day, which is safe and ok, but it will not win you a premiership.

Everyone rightly places some weight on the fact prospective coaches have learnt under Clarkson, or one of his key disciples.

What is it specifically that is magical about the Clarkson/Hawthorn model?

Culture? Leadership/footy dept structure? Tactics? Whole club structure? Simply getting quality staff/players?

If we identify the key elements of success, we could obviously target people to put around Nicks to enhance those specifics.

I get where you're coming from, but not sure I completely agree.

In pre-game situations yes, but on game day you need a coach that has the tactical and football nous to make split second decisions.

If the person is just a relationship guy, then all you will get is a guy that will play the percentages on game day, which is safe and ok, but it will not win you a premiership.
You just get the assistant to make game day decisions because you delegate that to him

You just get the assistant to make game day decisions because you delegate that to him

Coach also needs a fair amount of self awareness if that's the case.
Good person manager... good self awareness to understand where decisions need to be made...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope there is good reason for this delay in appointment as really should have been done before trade period end fiasco.
To outside media and general perception that not looking really professional.
But get us the right coach and support team and no Burton fingers we should be onwards and upwards.

All he said was that he's waiting for the call. He also mentioned the Scott Burns was waiting too (I think).
Isn't Rob Harvey waiting for a call too?

Will be really interesting to see the make up of the complete footy dept. certainly couldn't be any worse than what the boys have had to endure for the last 2 to 3 years.

Hope there is good reason for this delay in appointment as really should have been done before trade period end fiasco.
To outside media and general perception that not looking really professional.
But get us the right coach and support team and no Burton fingers we should be onwards and upwards.
Disagree, rushing to make a decision for the sake of having a coach is unprofessional. Getting the right coach, regardless of how long it takes, is what is most important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back