Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its difficult to commit to a genuine rebuild and bring in an untried coach to oversea it. If we do move Pyke on i think it should be for someone experienced. Not sure i see a candidate that i prefer.

Its difficult to commit to a genuine rebuild and bring in an untried coach to oversea it. If we do move Pyke on i think it should be for someone experienced. Not sure i see a candidate that i prefer.
It's also difficult to do a rebuild because the board won't sign off on it. Scott Burns guaranteed he wouldn't get the job when he interviewed for it in 2011 when he said he thought the club needed a rebuild. Sando said he'd get them to the finals in year one.

Pyke will be there in 2020. We won't sack a coach 2 years out from the end of his contract (2021). 1 yes, not 2.

Wouldn't surprise me, though, if things went pear-shaped again next season, that he could get the chop mid-season. We have form there.

Sam Mitchell would be the man for me. But doubt he would leave Melbourne again. Didn't he move back (from West Coast) for family reasons?

We sacked Sando with 2 years to go... Same power brokers then as there are now.

Blake Caracella.
Not sure there are any more credentialled untried coaches than him.
Played at essendon, brisbane and collingwood winning flags at essendon and brisbane.
Has been an assistant at collingwood, geelong and richmond.
No ties to the club.
Ideal candidate.

I think there’s some really well credentialed guys out there, it’s just we’ve been through a period with very low coach sackings so no one’s really up to date on who’s around, nor has anyone been interviewed in almost 2 years.

Caracella, Harvey, Burns, Teague and Shaw all have strong resumes. Voss is probably getting to the point you’d consider him again. Ratten’s done it all before and has now coached under Clarko. I reckon Alan Richardson did a great job with a list not far off the worst in the AFL, with a bog average recruiting/development department. It’d be interesting to see him at a we’ll resourced club.

I reckon there’s some talent around.

There’ll be an interview soon enough where he explains how he didn’t apply as he couldn’t commit the time with his young family.
Which I understand, however that's not the reason.

He's afraid of failure, he can stay here as long as he likes and "succeed" and live a comfortable life.

Which I understand, however that's not the reason.

He's afraid of failure, he can stay here as long as he likes and "succeed" and live a comfortable life.

I’ve posted that for a while. I reckon he expects to be given a job without presenting against competitors. He pulled out of the running for ours claiming young family and business interests but was back in the market in an interview a few months later. We’re stuck with him because we won’t force him out unless he’s going to another gig and he won’t be getting another gig. Not only do we get to keep a stale and inept person in a key position, but his tenure is an impediment to us recruiting and keeping quality coaches. That’s why we end up with that homeless guy who looks like Ben Hart.

The only difference between the 2 is that I reckon Campo could talk his way into another job

There’ll be an interview soon enough where he explains how he didn’t apply as he couldn’t commit the time with his young family.
Yes. Isn't there a period coming up soon where all the assistant coaches sign new contracts for the following year/s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and as I've been saying all along, if Pyke goes and the rest of the idiots stay then nothing changes.

It's also difficult to do a rebuild because the board won't sign off on it. Scott Burns guaranteed he wouldn't get the job when he interviewed for it in 2011 when he said he thought the club needed a rebuild. Sando said he'd get them to the finals in year one.
And he did

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

And how'd that work out long term for him? Same thing we're now doing with Pyke. Short term results are always our goal over long term success.

I really don’t get how you can give Pyke a complete pass as if all this s**t happens around him despite him being top notch. I really don’t get how you think that’s a plausible scenario.

Nothing changes if Pyke stays. He doesn’t have the power to force change any more. Eventually Campo will run out of senior coaches. Pyke makes it one closer to the last.
If he leaves and drags the place down then I'm all for it.

Would it be wrong to throw money at Paul Roos see if he is interested??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back