Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Times almost up for Pykie unfortunately.

Who should be our next senior coach, what attributes should he have?

No real standouts for me, but came up with some names:
-Rob Harvey (Collingwood);
-Matthew Knights (Geelong);
-Josh Francou (GC);
-Adam Yze (Hawks);
-Sam Mitchell (Hawks);
-Scott Burns (Hawks);
-Nathan Bassett (Port);
-Brett Ratten (Saints).

The smartest option for me would be to get someone from Hawthorn with a bit of mongrel to him, guaranteed success. Yze is rated enormously by Clarkson, Mitchell probably won't come but Scotty Burns who was in the running last time would be much better qualified now.
Brett Ratten deserves another chance, Bassett and Francou probably not ready but would luv to entice them as senior assistant coaches.

*Knowing how the club works it will probably be Campo appointed with VB as senior assistant and Dmac retiring to be midf coach.

Thoughts?
Sorry, but that list reminds me of the Old Mother Hubbard poem.
I couldn’t make a selection; which is a worry.

Just get Bassett. And pee off anyone who cannot fit and operate under him. Just get BASSETT. We are are continuing in the treadmill of mediocrity. We need someone who will come in and rip this effen football club into gear a la Blight. We need some turmoil, some 'leave the tried and found wanting players, coaches and admin staff' behind action.What we are doing, doing, doing is not working. Bold action - no more decade wasting conservatism. Cast all the long service people aside. Im peed off. Just get Bassett and make the club work from there.

The issue I will have with Pyke going forward is if we're dipping into a rebuilding phase, or even a slight rebuilding phase, i'm not sure he is the type of coach you'd want for that. He's super big on his structures and is hesitant to put younger players into big roles without having first spent a lot of time working on it and being ultra consistent (and that's from through pre-season and all year) in the work they put in. That was awesome for us from 2016 as we had a ready made team that was good to go, but that's not so great for a young team still learning their way.

Now maybe Pyke will change that up if his directive from above changes, I don't know, but I also know with the core we have that a full rebuild isn't going to happen, so we're back in that awkward position of not being good enough to be good and not being bad enough to be really bad (that is if Pyke survives long enough to turn it around).

The issue I will have with Pyke going forward is if we're dipping into a rebuilding phase, or even a slight rebuilding phase, i'm not sure he is the type of coach you'd want for that. He's super big on his structures and is hesitant to put younger players into big roles without having first spent a lot of time working on it and being ultra consistent (and that's from through pre-season and all year) in the work they put in. That was awesome for us from 2016 as we had a ready made team that was good to go, but that's not so great for a young team still learning their way.

Now maybe Pyke will change that up if his directive from above changes, I don't know, but I also know with the core we have that a full rebuild isn't going to happen, so we're back in that awkward position of not being good enough to be good and not being bad enough to be really bad (that is if Pyke survives long enough to turn it around).
Well at the moment we are really bad. We can improve with the right changes, this weeks moves were a timid step in the right direction but until we restructure our defence and actually bring in small forwards we will continue to be nowhere near the good sides.

Just get Bassett. And pee off anyone who cannot fit and operate under him. Just get BASSETT. We are are continuing in the treadmill of mediocrity. We need someone who will come in and rip this effen football club into gear a la Blight. We need some turmoil, some 'leave the tried and found wanting players, coaches and admin staff' behind action.What we are doing, doing, doing is not working. Bold action - no more decade wasting conservatism. Cast all the long service people aside. Im peed off. Just get Bassett and make the club work from there.
Im not sure he's any good either

Well at the moment we are really bad. We can improve with the right changes, this weeks moves were a timid step in the right direction but until we restructure our defence and actually bring in small forwards we will continue to be nowhere near the good sides.
Brown comes back in 2 weeks, thatll help but it will leave one of Kelly or Hartigan. The small forward thing irritates me..... theres people in here evn that think small forwards just have to pressure the ball carrier. Thats rubbish, they have to score ****ing goals !!!!

If theres one thing weve seen this year, is that if youre prepared to take the game on youll get rewards. I would much rather us lose like we did against Geelong by taking it on and making mistakes, than playing like we did last week and making worse mistakes. We didnt need to change much from that Geelong game and yet we did...... ridiculous

We are at the moment, but a new coach could turn that around pretty easily, a lot of it is mental at the moment. But that again puts us into also-ran territory unless the new coach is a miracle worker.

Brown comes back in 2 weeks, thatll help but it will leave one of Kelly or Hartigan. The small forward thing irritates me..... theres people in here evn that think small forwards just have to pressure the ball carrier. Thats rubbish, they have to score ****ing goals !!!!

If theres one thing weve seen this year, is that if youre prepared to take the game on youll get rewards. I would much rather us lose like we did against Geelong by taking it on and making mistakes, than playing like we did last week and making worse mistakes. We didnt need to change much from that Geelong game and yet we did...... ridiculous
I’ve read a few times that Brown and Seeds are a couple of weeks away, Brown this week is listed as 3-4 weeks and Seeds 3-6 weeks.

Plus Brown will then need to play a game or two in the sanfl to get some fitness and form.

As for changing the game plan after the Hawks, exactly. Instead of putting the onus on the players to make better decisions and structuring our forward line differently, we changed the way the team played.

And don’t get me started on the small forwards, we’ve got a guy carving it up in the SANFL but we prefer a small forward who doesn’t apply forward line tackles nor does he kick goals.

With Jones, I’d give him one game in the sanfl as a mid just to find some touch and then I’d bring him in to play midfield and back him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve read a few times that Brown and Seeds are a couple of weeks away, Brown this week is listed as 3-4 weeks and Seeds 3-6 weeks.

Plus Brown will then need to play a game or two in the sanfl to get some fitness and form.

As for changing the game plan after the Hawks, exactly. Instead of putting the onus on the players to make better decisions and structuring our forward line differently, we changed the way the team played.

And don’t get me started on the small forwards, we’ve got a guy carving it up in the SANFL but we prefer a small forward who doesn’t apply forward line tackles nor does he kick goals.

With Jones, I’d give him one game in the sanfl as a mid just to find some touch and then I’d bring him in to play midfield and back him in.
I saw Browny running around the local oval on his day off, looks like hes almost back to full pace. Dont think he plays SANFL either, he is way too important.

Someone with a bit of mongrel please.
Clarkson
Simpson
Longmire
Scott
Beverage
Hardwick
Mathews
Blight
All have a bit of mongrel in them, I don’t see that in pyke.
Imagine Blight coming back. That would be a nice sentiment but I wonder if he can still coach.

We should have a policy for our next 5-6 appointments for ANY Coaching staff.

'NEVER played or been affiliated with the crows at all.'

Over the past decade we have accumulated ex-players / staff in almost every single position at the club. I love the romance of an ex-player hire, but it feels like we need some fresh blood, bring in some new ideas.

Someone with a bit of mongrel please.
Clarkson
Simpson
Longmire
Scott
Beverage
Hardwick
Mathews
Blight
All have a bit of mongrel in them, I don’t see that in pyke.
Beverage an absolute N O - NO and so is Luke Beveridge.

Do Matthews and Blight come with....

1556004709809.png

And Longmire is a NO, another coach that seems incapable of changing things up on game day when the Swans are struggling.

View attachment 660500

And Longmire is a NO, another coach that seems incapable of changing things up on game day when the Swans are struggling.
Pretty dumb post Bicks, I normally like what you have to say. When was the last time you spoke directly to MB?
I recon he would be pretty pissed off with your inference.

Pretty dumb post Bicks, I normally like what you have to say. When was the last time you spoke directly to MB?
I recon he would be pretty pissed off with your inference.
It's a fair point though, Blight and Matthews are well past their use by date, as were Sheedy and Malthouse.

View attachment 660500

So what's your solution, stick with pyke, upgrade Campo maybe?

So what's your solution, stick with pyke, upgrade Campo maybe?
Getting rid of Campo is a good start.

I'd be looking at Ratten short term if we bomb out, longer term I'd say Mitchell, Glass, Caracella

Getting rid of Campo is a good start.

I'd be looking at Ratten short term if we bomb out, longer term I'd say Mitchell, Glass, Caracella
Ratten isn't coming one year after joining St Kilda.

Caracella would be right at the top of my list

Ratten isn't coming one year after joining St Kilda.

Caracella would be right at the top of my list
Would he not for the head coaching role ??

But yep Caracella is my next choice..... with his own group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back