• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem is Pyke is a hardass, the players complained and told him he had to lighten up.

We are hearing from other clubs that the senior coach lightening up is key to improved performance

Hardwick Buckley maybe Lyons

Who knows. I just want a good player with next years pick

The problem is Pyke is a hardass, the players complained and told him he had to lighten up.

Hard on the players but p*ssweak on the pathetic administration he's surrounded by.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I Campo is part of the problem

Not because a few mouth breathers think he’s a nong, he ain’t, quite the opposite

I think the problem is that campo is good, and has become rusted on and maybe has the ear of a few too many people

He’s not that fussed about a Head job (boom tish) so he’s an over qualified senior assistant

I reckon he probably has the ear of a few board members and senior execs, who wouldn’t be afraid of asking him what he thinks when things are going south.

This inadvertently makes him the king maker, the guy people listen to. In doing so, it fundamentally undermines the head coach without meaning to or doing anything at all. It’s not his fault

How can Don manage or trust a guy he knows has everyone’s ear. A bit like the bosses son.

He’s no fool, and he’s a good contributor, but there must be a little mistrust when you’ve got a guy there who is rusted on.

You see him to talking to people, suddenly a couple of board members start suggesting ideas you know came from him - and you don’t like

And it’s because everyone knows Campo is a good performer, but he’s been there too long for Don to really trust him

He needs to go to let Don breathe

Might be correct. Even then, you can be a good operator but have flawed philosophies on the game that ultimately make you an impediment to success. I expect that’s Campo.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just think it's pointless sacking Pyke if they're still going to skimp out on replacing assistants. As Sanders alludes to there's just this weird problem in hierarchy until Neil Craig's assistants get cleared out.

Usually in the NFL an incoming head coach is given a lot of power in picking his assistants. Idea being that he can assemble a team he both trusts and shares a similar philosophy towards the game with. We're absolutely handicapping anyone we bring in if we're just going to stick him with the same old guys that have been part of the woodwork for a decade+.

Half of Pyke’s AFL coaching experience prior to getting our gig was as a Craig assistant. Nothing to suggest that he’s not very happy with his team. In fact, Campo has been re-contracted during his tenure. That wouldn’t happen without Pyke’s approval. Any suggestion to the contrary is wishful thinking and/or fantasy.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The rest I agree with, but was it Hardwick?
I thought they had a review just before 17 that got rid of the deadwood?
Could be wrong, but thought they went through a similar process as Geelong led by Hardwick- stand corrected though

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Could be wrong, but thought they went through a similar process as Geelong led by Hardwick- stand corrected though
Richmond went down the same external review path as Collingwood. I think it was conducted by KPMG. The result was on both were substantial clean outs within the football departments. The Richmond review was orchestrated by Brendon Gale. I think McGuire was responsible for initiating Collingwoods review.

Pert was shown the door, and Gubby Allen head hunted by McGuire which resulted in Balme leaving Collingwood and taking over the Head of Football Dept role at Richmond (the role Brett Burton fills at Adelaide)

edit: Definitely the external review that our club desperately needs to undertake. Though pointless if they don't clean out the dead wood afterwards. Not the BS reviews performed internally that are completely opaque

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the balance has tipped where he has lost more than he has. I don't think it is all his fault but I think the GF result, the camp and even small things like making the hard decisions at selection and dual captaincy has meant gradually the players deep down don't think he can take them back to a GF.

I think when you have watched football long enough you have a gut feel and for me there is a real lack of passion, energy and belief in where they are headed. Of course the players are trying but you can see something is not right and really hasn't been for 18 months.

I think results confuse people but a win / loss ratio doesn't always tell the story. A win against Gold Coast by 100 points doesn't mean everything has turned around.

I think the bit of a jolt that everyone gets from a senior player being dropped also happens in the reverse when undeserved players return or retain their spots.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Richmond went down the same external review path as Collingwood. I think it was conducted by KPMG. The result was on both were substantial clean outs within the football departments. The Richmond review was orchestrated by Brendon Gale. I think McGuire was responsible for initiating Collingwoods review.

Pert was shown the door, and Gubby Allen head hunted by McGuire which resulted in Balme leaving Collingwood and taking over the Head of Football Dept role at Richmond (the role Brett Burton fills at Adelaide)

edit: Definitely the external review that our club desperately needs to undertake. Though pointless if they don't clean out the dead wood afterwards. Not the BS reviews performed internally that are completely opaque
We don't need an external review. We did an internal one, everything is cool.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pyke has attempted to bring in Justin Longmiur in when Pods left. We didn't want to pay his asking price and gave him Ben Hart instead. Tried to bring in Peter Sumich in the role Campo now has, that was a no go too.

Yeh, he’d be awesome, no culture shock, just a smooth transition, pay rises for everyone, you’re all doing outstanding work.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
We did do a full external revenue, it’s just the best people to do that happened to already be working at the club.

Brett Burton did put forward a compelling case to be head of football(read: he came cheap and our boards chockers with bankers obsessed with money) and many believe he has the skills to be extremely successful in the role(read: he lacks experience of any kind, but hopefully if we throw him to the wolves he can just fake it till he makes it...)

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Do you know this or is it a working theory?

WEST COAST premiership hero Peter Sumich has turned down Crows coach Don Pyke’s call to be part of a new-look football department at the Adelaide Football Club.
Sumich, 48, will stay out of the AFL system next year — after rejecting opportunities at both the Eagles and Crows — to work his own team, the WA under-18s.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Do you know this or is it a working theory?

West Coast assistant Justin Longmuir has become an assistant coach in demand with AFL clubs in the midst of the Eagles’ late-season revival.
The Weekend West understands Longmuir has drawn interest from at least two rival clubs, Adelaide and Collingwood. His stocks have been boosted by his role in helping to stabilise a season that looked rocky five weeks ago, but is still alive after a stunning upset win over Port Adelaide in last Saturday night’s elimination final.
Longmuir, 36, the No.2 pick in the 1998 national draft, played 139 games for Fremantle before bad knees brought his career to a premature finish.
He is well regarded as an assistant and one of the select few to have been chosen to undertake the AFL’s elite level-four coaching accreditation course.
Collingwood have made contact with him. Adelaide assistant David Teague has also been in talks with the Magpies, while the Crows are keen to hold further talks with Longmuir should Teague leave.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
They didn't change a whole heap, just a couple of important people in important positions.

Even with us, it wouldn't take a huge amount to change the direction of our club.

But it MUST happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back