Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were already very good when he took us over in 2016. He took a primed list, in a weak year, and didnt win. And we didnt win because he was strategically outperformed.

That was his apex. Losing because of being out coached.

What about his coaching convinces people?

Last night Snake_Baker made the comment that when Richmond were pressing hard in the GF why didn't Pyke change his game plan and instruct his players to kick long to avoid the press. It seems so simple yet it was a great idea. Why didn't a guy who is paid lots of money and has been in the system for nearly 3 decades think of it. It's a no brainer when you think about it.

We may have bigger problems than Pyke but Pyke is still a problem. Time to go.

Neil Craig - fair call, was a good kid on the up
Bicks - caretaker, not a senior coach’s arsehole
Sando - spud senior coach
Walsh - got 10 rounds in and stated angrily that they’d be looking to improve the side from the 2s after a win
Campo - spud senior/midfield coach, spud senior strategist
Pyke - spud senior coach

It wouldn’t have happened at any other club. Mackay should have been delisted after about 80 games, been picked up by another club, had 1 good season and then back to normal the year after before spending his remaining time in the 2s until delisting. Only at our club does this spud get to 200+ games.

Mackay’s first 3 years he looked like a gun up and coming outside mid, culminating in a very good 2009. After that he dipped and plateaued, never reaching 2009 heights again.

The issue we had as a club and a god send for Mackay, is that for the next 5-6 years, we literally had no other outside mid options. He essentially got games by default and then by the time reinforcements came through, Mackay was a 130-140 game player. He has since banked this and an ability to play to an okay level most weeks, keeping him just out of reach of the axe most weeks.

Last night Snake_Baker made the comment that when Richmond were pressing hard in the GF why didn't Pyke change his game plan and instruct his players to kick long to avoid the press. It seems so simple yet it was a great idea. Why didn't a guy who is paid lots of money and has been in the system for nearly 3 decades think of it. It's a no brainer when you think about it.

We may have bigger problems than Pyke but Pyke is still a problem. Time to go.

For me, I worry that Pyke will go, that will be the circuit breaker in the eyes of the club and nothing else will change. We just continue on the coaching merry go round.

Essentially, I think we’re well on our way to becoming the next “Ninth’mond”. A well supported/resourced club, that remains reasonably competitive, but has a soft underbelly and continually shoots itself in the foot.

For mine, I think we need to go a similar way as Richmond to break this. Give Pyke 2 more years, but basically put a bomb through the rest of the coaching/support staff.

Burton goes, Campo goes, Hart goes before you take a sip of your morning coffee.

Clark stays as coach of the girls and probably find him a role somewhere for the winter months.

Godden I just don’t know enough about, but he just lacks any AFL experience to suggest he’d make a good midfield coach or understand the structures at play. I’d almost put him in a development/coach of the reserves role.

Mattner probably gets a reprieve, being a 1st Year assistant.

From there, we go hard for some quality assistants including potentially spending Burtons salary on a high level senior assistant, potentially a Richardson/Burns/Harvey/Caricella/Teague to take on a lot of senior coaching duties whilst Pyke picks up more of the football manager duties. Clark could potentially assist Pyke in this role, with Hass/replacement managing high performance and reporting directly to Pyke.

Having said this, I’m not against Pyke being moved off if that’s what needs to happen. I do agree that by this stage, I’d he doesn’t have the team he wants around him, a lot of that’s on him and thus he must wear it. I can understand in first contract him not having much of a say, but when you sign that extension, that’s where you simply don’t sign until you’ve got what you want.

Last edited:
Been in the system for awhile now! Probably unfare to judge him at senior coach at the lions!
Port Adelaide players seem to love him, very talent player hard at the ball, something our players arnt at the moment!

Personally, I think he's of greater value to us working for port.

He actively blamed the loss 100% on the players. In his mind, coaches were perfect and players f’ed it. He’s arrogant and incompetent, a very dangerous mix.
But they did 100% lose us the game.

The problem was we should have moved players on but we didn't. We tried to make them less mentally fagile and that backfired.

Pykes biggest problem is who he hasn't delisted or traded imo

For me, I worry that Pyke will go, that will be the circuit breaker in the eyes of the club and nothing else will change. We just continue on the coaching merry go round.

Essentially, I think we’re well on our way to becoming the next “Premiershipmond”. A well supported/resourced club, that remains reasonably competitive, but has a soft underbelly and continually shoots itself in the foot.

For mine, I think we need to go a similar way as Richmond to break this. Give Pyke 2 more years, but basically put a bomb through the rest of the coaching/support staff.

Burton goes, Campo goes, Hart goes before you take a sip of your morning coffee.

Clark stays as coach of the girls and probably find him a role somewhere for the winter months.

Godden I just don’t know enough about, but he just lacks any AFL experience to suggest he’d make a good midfield coach or understand the structures at play. I’d almost put him in a development/coach of the reserves role.

Mattner probably gets a reprieve, being a 1st Year assistant.

From there, we go hard for some quality assistants including potentially spending Burtons salary on a high level senior assistant, potentially a Richardson/Burns/Harvey/Caricella/Teague to take on a lot of senior coaching duties whilst Pyke picks up more of the football manager duties. Clark could potentially assist Pyke in this role, with Hass/replacement managing high performance and reporting directly to Pyke.

Having said this, I’m not against Pyke being moved off if that’s what needs to happen. I do agree that by this stage, I’d he doesn’t have the team he wants around him, a lot of that’s on him and thus he must wear it. I can understand in first contract him not having much of a say, but when you sign that extension, that’s where you simply don’t sign until you’ve got what you want.

Good post. I started to write a similar post after the Port game then changed my mind. I agree in that if you think you have the right guy and a rebuild is coming, show faith in the coach by extending his contract giving him 3+ year. However, I no longer believe Pyke is the right guy. I don't believe he has the strength of character or is aggressive enough to be able to implement wholesale changes and force some of the club senior players into retirement.

Would a strong coach keep overlooking the selection of youngsters for plodders? Would a strong coach keep selecting senior players when it's clear they can no longer have a consistent impact? Would a string coach allow his football dept to sit on their hands during the trade period over the last 2 years? Would a strong coach have allowed the embarrassing power stance to be used in a grand final giving the opposition a psychological advantage even before the ball was bounced Would a strong coach have allowed Brett Burton to run the football dept?

Nope, Pyke isn't the core of the problem but he's definitely a problem. Time to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post. I started to write a similar post after the Port game then changed my mind. I agree in that if you think you have the right guy and a rebuild is coming, show faith in the coach by extending his contract giving him 3+ year. However, I no longer believe Pyke is the right guy. I don't believe he has the strength of character or is aggressive enough to be able to implement wholesale changes and force some of the club senior players into retirement.

Would a strong coach keep overlooking the selection of youngsters for plodders? Would a strong coach keep selecting senior players when it's clear they can no longer have a consistent impact? Would a string coach allow his football dept to sit on their hands during the trade period over the last 2 years? Would a strong coach have allowed the embarrassing power stance to be used in a grand final giving the opposition a psychological advantage even before the ball was bounced Would a strong coach have allowed Brett Burton to run the football dept?

Nope, Pyke isn't the core of the problem but he's definitely a problem. Time to go.
Agree. Was he aware of the evident divide within playing group at airport going to GF? Lever on the outer, led by Tex, Tex not wanting Lever to play etc. No way Clarkson or Dimma let that go going into a GF. You get the feeling Tex has had a little too much free reign, and I say that in reference to his (lack of) fitness among other things.

Agree. Was he aware of the evident divide within playing group at airport going to GF? Lever on the outer, led by Tex, Tex not wanting Lever to play etc. No way Clarkson or Dimma let that go going into a GF. You get the feeling Tex has had a little too much free reign, and I say that in reference to his (lack of) fitness among other things.

If Tex was like that on GF day then he is a part of the problem and needs to go as well.

Blake Caracella.
Not sure there are any more credentialled untried coaches than him.
Played at essendon, brisbane and collingwood winning flags at essendon and brisbane.
Has been an assistant at collingwood, geelong and richmond.
No ties to the club.
Ideal candidate.

I love the idea of bringing in a bit coaching mongrel, but I think we would need to allow for a 5-6 year transition period on top of a major list overhaul before said mongrel were to have any effect as I think our list,specifically those on it who have 50+ games under their belt, are waaaaay to entitled, soft and set in their ways to take on anything some oldschool hardarse would have to offer.
I can just picture the chaos and disunity that a simple policy of senior players having to earn their spot in the side would cause, let alone any "tougher" love than that.
Coffee shop sit-in protests involving sycophantic adelaide media would be a daily event.

Last edited:
St Kilda would be mad to pass on Ratten.

He is the only current assistant I think could be a great coach going forward. He got shafted at Carlton when they were seduced by Malthouse and has worked with Clarko since.

When we replace Pyke I hope we strongly look at those that have worked under Clarko. He not only educates footballers but coaches as well.
Simpson
Beveridge
Hardwick

The last three Premiership coaches all worked with Clarko.

Fagan is showing he is that calibre as well.

Yes Bolton failed. But maybe he is just not cut out to be a head coach.

I personally dont think Pyke is a bad coach though. Just not at that top level as we found out GF against Hardwick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pyke will be there in 2020. We won't sack a coach 2 years out from the end of his contract (2021). 1 yes, not 2.

Wouldn't surprise me, though, if things went pear-shaped again next season, that he could get the chop mid-season. We have form there.

Sam Mitchell would be the man for me. But doubt he would leave Melbourne again. Didn't he move back (from West Coast) for family reasons?

No AFC coach has survived 2 straight years out of the finals.

I agree Don may be the first - big contract to pay out.
We are most likely going to play one Final.

Need to lose to either Carlton or Stkilda plus all other games to not make it.

Just making up numbers though. Nothing to get excited about.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back