Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most recent senior coaches, no longer senior-coaching...

Brad Scott - 2019
Ross Lyon - 2019
Alan Richardson - 2019
Brendon Bolton - 2019
Rodney Eade - 2017
Paul Roos - 2016
Justin Leppitsch - 2016
James Hird, LOL - 2015
Michael Malthouse, LOL - 2015
Mark Thompson, LOL - 2014
Brenton Sanderson, LOL - 2014
Brendan McCartney - 2014
Guy McKenna - 2014

No, to all of them.

Has to be a first-time coach, folks.

You obviously ask the question of Clarko, but the answer will be no.
Next call I'd make to Paul Roos, is someone who can come in and pick the club up and drive change. Answer is likely no as well.

I'm not keen on Sam Mitchell, I'm a big believer that coaches need a good "apprenticeship" outside of playing prior to taking the senior gig. Mitchell is only 2 years out. No doubt he has talent, but I'd rather look at him in 8-10 years time.

Neither Brad Scott, nor Ross Lyon have great history developing lists or developing players. They've both just left clubs in similar situations ours is in now. I don't think they're suited. If we were talking our list 3-4 years ago, I'd consider Lyon. Brad Scott I think is over-rated, largely due to having James Brayshaw as a massive supporter in the media and traditionally as Nth Melbourne President. Bit like Steven Trigg saying Sando could "coach like crazy".

Scott Burns is probably the one for mine. Experience at multiple clubs, including vitally (it seems) under Clarkson for the last few years. Also is South Australian originally so would have a reasonable understanding of the setting, more so than someone who has no links to SA.

Others I'd consider are Harvey, Longmuir, Sumich and Camporeale. Ultimately we can only look at their records/resume's though, we don't really know them as people.

If rumours are correct that Todd Viney is moving back to Adelaide, I'd be looking to have him take over from Burton as head of football. Significant footballing experience and connections, including experience in a similar role at Melbourne. Of the people we're a realistic chance to actually get for the role, he's probably the best one.

Most recent senior coaches, no longer senior-coaching...

Brad Scott - 2019
Ross Lyon - 2019
Alan Richardson - 2019
Brendon Bolton - 2019
Rodney Eade - 2017
Paul Roos - 2016
Justin Leppitsch - 2016
James Hird, LOL - 2015
Michael Malthouse, LOL - 2015
Mark Thompson, LOL - 2014
Brenton Sanderson, LOL - 2014
Brendan McCartney - 2014
Guy McKenna - 2014
Kevin Sheedy - 2013
Michael Voss - 2013
Scott Watters - 2013
Mark Neeld - 2013

No, to all of them.

Has to be a first-time coach, folks.
Guy McKenna gets a pretty bad wrap, but he was not actually as bad a coach as people make out. He coached a historically bad group of players, but in terms of what he got out of them (whilst consistently losing all his best young players), he actually didn't do too badly! From memory in his last year he had them like 7-2 before the wheels fell off right?

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't think he's HC material, but if we are looking to go through a major list rebuild and bring in lots of young guys then having a coach that actually got that putrid GC team up to 12th position might not be the worst idea.

Can't be any worse then having Campo as a senior assistant!

If we go first time senior coach can we please surround them with some outside EXPERIENCE. I don't want to see anybody coming here and finishing their apprenticeship under Campo.

You obviously ask the question of Clarko, but the answer will be no.
Next call I'd make to Paul Roos, is someone who can come in and pick the club up and drive change. Answer is likely no as well.

I'm not keen on Sam Mitchell, I'm a big believer that coaches need a good "apprenticeship" outside of playing prior to taking the senior gig. Mitchell is only 2 years out. No doubt he has talent, but I'd rather look at him in 8-10 years time.

Neither Brad Scott, nor Ross Lyon have great history developing lists or developing players. They've both just left clubs in similar situations ours is in now. I don't think they're suited. If we were talking our list 3-4 years ago, I'd consider Lyon. Brad Scott I think is over-rated, largely due to having James Brayshaw as a massive supporter in the media and traditionally as Nth Melbourne President. Bit like Steven Trigg saying Sando could "coach like crazy".

Scott Burns is probably the one for mine. Experience at multiple clubs, including vitally (it seems) under Clarkson for the last few years. Also is South Australian originally so would have a reasonable understanding of the setting, more so than someone who has no links to SA.

Others I'd consider are Harvey, Longmuir, Sumich and Camporeale. Ultimately we can only look at their records/resume's though, we don't really know them as people.

If rumours are correct that Todd Viney is moving back to Adelaide, I'd be looking to have him take over from Burton as head of football. Significant footballing experience and connections, including experience in a similar role at Melbourne. Of the people we're a realistic chance to actually get for the role, he's probably the best one.
Are you taking the piss?

That's not exactly an endorsement as I see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be unfair but listening to Longmuir's media interviews he seems like an astute tactician and supportive line coach but seems a bland communicator with minimal gravitas

I got that impression from Adam Simpson but he's the reigning premiership coach

I'd add Jaymie Graham to the list of potential new coaches.

What he's done with WCE's forward line is remarkable. Very switched on operator.

Might not want to move states with school aged kids though.

Most potential coaches know they get one go at it to make it. (Ratten the exception) I think people like Sam Mitchell would probably feel like we are not the best club to succeed at.

Interesting with Voss and Rutten. My view is if they are that good their current clubs would have moved on Hinkley or Worsfold by now and put them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back