Our ODI team moving forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought on Dan Hughes? Saw him ton up in the Marsh Cup the other day, and his stats are pretty insane. Bit old for the next world cup maybe? Probably deserves a few ODI games even if they're just token selections.

Quite possible. Looks like the ideal candidate to fill Shaun Marsh's shoes in the pecking order, but as with Marsh is competing with Khawaja who's taken to the Australian home season coming back round like a duck to water.

Thought on Dan Hughes? Saw him ton up in the Marsh Cup the other day, and his stats are pretty insane. Bit old for the next world cup maybe? Probably deserves a few ODI games even if they're just token selections.
One of the problems with the ListA Cup is that a lot of batsman score runs. Those few who don't can be ruled out, but the difference between scoring 120 or 150 with a smattering of 80s isn't that great.
While I don't think trying to pick the next World Cup squad now has any merit, and there is no rush to push players out - natural attrition will see turnover - those who do come in should be with a possible WC chance in mind. He'll be 34, which certainly isn't out of the question for a batsmen (especially with slower decks in mind) but might be pushing it for someone with experience before now.

As for Tests, he has to be among the openers with "score Shield runs and possibly". But there might be more than 12 potential openers with that against their name.

Based on our previous history and general approach we start planning for the next WC around now.

I was thinking about this during the last WC. I believe the carry over from the last three WC squads has been 6 players ea cycle.
I.e. 6 players from the 2011 squad were in the 2015 squad; and 6 players from the 2015 squad made it to 2019 - probably would've been 7 if Hazelwood wasn't injured.

These are the players (and their ages at the time of the WC) in our last squad:

Finch (32)
Warner (32)
Khawaja (32)
S.Marsh (35)
S.Smith (30)
Maxwell (30)
Stoinis (29)
Carey (27)
Coulter-Nile (31)
Cummins (26)
Starc (29)
Behrendorff (29)
K.Richardson (28)
Zampa (27)
Lyon (31)

I'd say Khawaja, S.Marsh, NCN and Lyon might've had their papers stamped already, and anyone over 30 (Maxwell's form and Smith's desire permitting) - including Warner and Finch - may be in trouble post the Champions Trophy in India 2021.

Last edited:

A rough like-for-like younger squad might look something like this (ages as of last WC):

D.Short (28)
Heazlett (23)
B.McDermott (24)
Head (25)
A.Turner (26)
Bancroft (26)
M.Marsh (27)
Philippe (22)
A.Agar (25)
Hazelwood (28)
J.Richardson (22)
Meredith (23)
M.Kelly (24)
Stanlake (24)
legspinner

I'm not suggesting that these players be direct replacements, rather a guide to some of the players the ACB will transition into the ODI team over the next few years (keeping a core of 6-8 players from the last WC).

Last edited:
A rough like-for-like younger squad might look something like this (ages as of last WC):

D.Short (28)
Heazlett (23)
B.McDermott (24)
Head (25)
A.Turner (26)
Bancroft (26)
M.Marsh (27)
Philippe (22)
A.Agar (25)
Hazelwood (28)
J.Richardson (22)
Meredith (23)
M.Kelly (24)
Stanlake (24)
legspinner

I'm not suggesting that these players be direct replacements, rather a guide to the players the ACB will transition into the ODI team over the next few years (keeping a core of 6-8 players from the last WC).
Bancroft?

Marnus just looks like he has the makings of been a really good One Day middle order bat. Hasn't had a poor Australian One Day Cup yet

2016 - 271 runs @ 45.16
2017 - 291 @ 48.50
2018 - Did not play
2019 so far - 277 @ 55.40

Busy at the crease, hits gaps, rotates the strike, runs between the wickets like a mad man and showed today he has the gears to up the tempo at the back end of the innings. Good signs.

Last edited:
Not in the middle order. Can he 'keep?
He's the best opener of the lot IMO and when you have Philippe, McDermott and Carey being around the mark do you really need anotherone?

I was being facetious with the 'keeper remark.
I've got Short, Heazlett and McDermott ahead of him as openers atm. I’d dare say the selectors do too. Plenty to play out over the next few years though.

Last edited:
I was being facetious with the 'keeper remark.
I've got Short, Heazlett and McDermott ahead of him as openers atm. Plenty to play out over the next few years.
As I posted earlier in the thread (not including today's games):
It is, probably should get a few games really. FTR, the List A records of the four I mentioned:

Weatherald: 21 matches, 926 runs, ave 46.30, SR 99.78, 4 centuries, 3 fifties
McDermott: 17 matches, 858 runs, ave 57.20, SR 79.07, 3 centuries, 4 fifties
Philippe: 8 matches, 313 runs, ave 39.12, SR 119.92, 0 centuries, 4 fifties
Heazlett: 18 matches, 957 runs, ave 56.29, SR 103.34, 2 centuries, 8 fifties

The difference between Weatherald and McDermott is negligible at best.
Weatherald is very underrated on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a ways off but my squad for the India tour would be something like:

1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Smith
4. Labuschagne
5. Maxwell/Wade
6. Turner
7. Carey
8. Cummins (could be rested)
9. Starc
10. Wes Agar/Steketee/Meredith/Richardson (whoever performs best over the big bash i guess, but one of these guys should be played)
11. Zampa

12. Ashton Agar
13. Peter Handscomb

Leaks starting before an apparent announcement tomorrow. Maxwell and Stoinis dropped for India. Marnus in.
Huge is true. Personally don't mind that call. Maxy definitely should spend some more time away from the top level to fully recover and mend his mind.
Stoinis, for me. isn't up to it anymore and we should be looking at MMarsh to replace him for the interim while casting our eye towards Green over the next couple of years.

1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Carey
6. Turner
7. M Marsh
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. J Richardson
11. Zampa

12. Wade
13. Coulter-Nile
14. Lyon

Squad is out:

Finch
Warner
Smith
Labuschagne
Carey
Turner
Agar
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Hazlewood

Abbott
K Richardson
Handscomb

That’s probably how I’d line up out of the 14. Agar at 7 looks weak.

Squad is out:

Finch
Warner
Smith
Labuschagne
Carey
Turner
Agar
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Hazlewood

Abbott
K Richardson
Handscomb

That’s probably how I’d line up out of the 14. Agar at 7 looks weak.

yep agree, thats our best XI of that squad of 14.

a few casualties from the world cup - s.marsh, khawaja, stoinis, maxwell, m.marsh, wade, lyon, coulter-nile, behrendorf, j.richardson

ins: labs, hazlewood, turner, agar, abbott

Unless they are dropping Finch at some point - what role is Lab going to play?

Smith at 3 should be locked in. Lab isn't a late order hitter

And Handscomb has proved valuable as the guy to keep the score ticking over in the mid-overs against spin.

Based on that squad - best X1

Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Turner
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

And Handscomb has proved valuable as the guy to keep the score ticking over in the mid-overs against spin.

Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Turner
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

Labs at 4 would be the same role Handscomb and Smarsh have played over the last 18 months. He's capable of playing that role. He had the 2nd highest strike rate of any of the top 15 runscorers in the One Day Cup this season.

Last edited:

Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Turner
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood
I can’t see them not giving Labuschagne the chance now. Handscomb will be stiff if he misses but if it’s a choice between the two, I expect they’ll go for Lab.

yep agree, thats our best XI of that squad of 14.

a few casualties from the world cup - s.marsh, khawaja, stoinis, maxwell, m.marsh, wade, lyon, coulter-nile, behrendorf, j.richardson

ins: labs, hazlewood, turner, agar, abbott
S Marsh and Khawaja were named in the presser as being unlucky, but it's only a three match series so there's no real point in taking them.

Stoinis may be left out to give Abbott a decent run at it?

Maxwell - under the circumstances, flying to India for three games in a week is probably not what he needs right now.

M Marsh - still can't bowl

Wade and Lyon - not sure, perhaps give them a rest after a full-on few months

Behredorff - injured

Jhye - coming back from injury in ODD final

Coulter-Nile said it best himself:

"I think I'm coming towards the end of my Australian career, definitely," Coulter-Nile said.

"They've even shown recently that they are going a bit younger, and so they should.

"Why would you pick another 32-year-old bloke when you can pick a young bloke probably looking forward to the next World Cup in four years?

Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Turner
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

Would like to see Carey at #5 instead. I think he would be more suited as a player to anchor down at one end and just rotate the strike to let the bigger hitters unleash when closing an innings. Means 1 of either Smith, Lab/Handscomb or Carey would bat deep letting blokes like Warner, Finch & Turner to clear boundaries. Carey batting at 6 or 7 means he's in a finishers role and to me, doesn't seem to be his natural game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back