Strategy Our Offensive System

Remove this Banner Ad

Latter doesn't make much sense. They are totally unrelated stats. And you'd want to have a low ratio because you want less points conceded and more i50s.

Just had a look we're actually second best in the league in kick ins (conceded behinds) to i50 ratio. We concede the 3rd least behinds in the league and have the 3rd most i50s.

Must be the former I'm guessing but wasn't clear based on how you wrote the statement. Do you have a link to the article you mention?

Hmm. Thats not great, but they dont show all the results of the other stat they allude to - which is just as interseting and probably highly related - opposition scoring attempts after kickins. Are we doing well in that area? It makes sense that if you take more risks - kick long to central parts of the ground etc.. that you will get it inside your own 50m more easilly, but also risk more opposition turnovers. Maybe Caleb takes a conservative approach by design. who knows?

You can see our fwd 50 work has finally clicked. Watching North bomb it on top of heads on the weekend, entry after entry, gave me flashbacks to 2014 and then into 2017/18, and even later than that when we started making finals again.

Now if you watch our behind the vision play, there is a lot of instinct. Mids and half backs kicking to space where leading forwards are now taking grabs. English the prime example. There is now that 6th sense of the mids knowing the forward will lead to the right spot and lacing kicks up even before the lead has commmenced. Its taken a hell of a long time, but its really coming together well.

Hmm. Thats not great, but they dont show all the results of the other stat they allude to - which is just as interseting and probably highly related - opposition scoring attempts after kickins. Are we doing well in that area? It makes sense that if you take more risks - kick long to central parts of the ground etc.. that you will get it inside your own 50m more easilly, but also risk more opposition turnovers. Maybe Caleb takes a conservative approach by design. who knows?

I wasnt making any judgements just sharing the article as an interesting read.
You are right - they could have balanced it with what % see the ball fly back over their heads after a kick in.

What I do know from being at the Eagles game and seeing the way the ground is setup is that unlike alot of otehr teams I see we setup from a kick very shallow in comparison.

We always seem to have far more teammates inside our own defensive fifty at a kick in that other sides - even watching last night.
Maybe thats protection behind the ball if we do go long.
Maybe thats to hit up a shorter then a longer option
Maybe thats for those teammates to swoop on a ground ball if we do go long.

We have a different setup and it may relate to the outcomes explained in that article.
Its a watch for me only because we are doing things differently to alot of teams

I wasnt making any judgements just sharing the article as an interesting read.
You are right - they could have balanced it with what % see the ball fly back over their heads after a kick in.

What I do know from being at the Eagles game and seeing the way the ground is setup is that unlike alot of otehr teams I see we setup from a kick very shallow in comparison.

We always seem to have far more teammates inside our own defensive fifty at a kick in that other sides - even watching last night.
Maybe thats protection behind the ball if we do go long.
Maybe thats to hit up a shorter then a longer option
Maybe thats for those teammates to swoop on a ground ball if we do go long.

We have a different setup and it may relate to the outcomes explained in that article.
Its a watch for me only because we are doing things differently to alot of teams
Ive noticed we set up a bit more shallow than other teams too, I don’t mind it though, we want to draw as many players as possible out of our attacking half, as we’re so deadly on transition through there the more space we have forward of the ball the better IMO.

The Fourth Tall.
Currently JUH needs more fitness. Once he gets there, I would play him as a fourth tall.... as he will need to run a fair bit in that role and provide defensive pressure.

Most teams are playing a zone defence. Contested marking power, Agility, Speed and forward style leading patterns; are all keys to beating the zone. Playing Naughton, English, JUH, Bruce (& Schache as injury replacement), isn’t too too heavy. Bruce needs to stay deep middle, dragging his defender deep. That should allow the space the others need to operate in.

Having our talls spread out but still having space to move will be key for us. I hope we have been working on this in training, as going the fourth tall is so far removed from Richmond mosquito fleet.

The Fourth Tall.
Currently JUH needs more fitness. Once he gets there, I would play him as a fourth tall.... as he will need to run a fair bit in that role and provide defensive pressure.

Most teams are playing a zone defence. Contested marking power, Agility, Speed and forward style leading patterns; are all keys to beating the zone. Playing Naughton, English, JUH, Bruce (& Schache as injury replacement), isn’t too too heavy. Bruce needs to stay deep middle, dragging his defender deep. That should allow the space the others need to operate in.

Having our talls spread out but still having space to move will be key for us. I hope we have been working on this in training, as going the fourth tall is so far removed from Richmond mosquito fleet.
I love it personally, a lot of teams are running the 3 prong forward line now. Let’s take it to the next level with the 4 prong. I like Timmy deep, Bruce & JUH slightly higher lead ups (both great leading patterns & speed) and Naughty very high CHF. You’re not stopping that, who cares if the oppo runs its out easily. We’ll win it back and hit them on the rebound. We’ve just got to back in our elite midfield/very very very good defence, don’t worry about locking it in the forward 50.

VDM/JJ high half forwards, we want these two to just play fast, direct footy. When they get it, just go and get it inside 50 to our talls as quick as possible. West/Hunter pushing through to provide forward pressure/craftiness around goal.

594AB4A7-09F2-4540-8FB3-C4B787EB89AB.png

Last edited:
Funny thing about JUH latest VFL game was that he was letting his defender play in front a lot, waiting for the ball to go over their heads. It didn't work but that style actually doesn't conflict with any of our other talls. Bruce leads, Naughton flies for the contested ball, English sort of floats in sideways. Don't know if it'd work but it's worth thinking about. Probably not a great habit to encourage though.

Funny thing about JUH latest VFL game was that he was letting his defender play in front a lot, waiting for the ball to go over their heads. It didn't work but that style actually doesn't conflict with any of our other talls. Bruce leads, Naughton flies for the contested ball, English sort of floats in sideways. Don't know if it'd work but it's worth thinking about. Probably not a great habit to encourage though.

He needs to lead sideways to the fat side more. It makes the defender nervous and keeps their attention on you. Then lead forward occasionally to mix it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back