2nds Our own Vfl team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2013
Vice City
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This will be awesome once its set up. You just get the feeling its gonna happen sooner rather then later. If the club couldn't make money off the gate receipts, I'm sure food and mechanise would cover some cost? Plus, not making a profit at a home game seems more like the North way to go anyway. :p

That is just the licence. Then there are payments to top up players, development of rooms for opposition and umpires (which we dont have), appropriate fencing around he ground and complex, payment of staff (doctor, trainers, physios, runners etc.) and insurance. It will take some coin to get it up and running.

That sounds far more reasonable. Surely we are paying a fair portion of the non development costs to both of our partners already? They wouldn't let us dictate who is and isn't available unless we were paying a massive amount of their running costs.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Going back a decade or so when Collingwood and their supporters were engaging "the peoples republic" (local council) for money to upgrade Vic Park the council did so on particular guidelines, supporters weren't happy, then some coterie group or whatever got together and raised whatever they needed. The main sticking point for the coincil at the time was to have VP turned into a public access park which is why the boundary on the southern side near the houses has no fence and all the council did was pay for cement and grass.

But you are right, when it's public access you can't charge to play/enter the ground, I suspect Arden St would be the same given what council has contributed, also remembering the other facilities (gym, pool) are accessible to the public as well.
Yeah, fair point. Given it is public access that aspect of the grounds wouldn't be required.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
All the other ex-vfl grounds have grandstands. I wonder whether arden st missing a grand stand might be an impediement to us playing games there.
Have you sat I those grandstands??? They are pish! I would bloody well love to stand on the hill drinking a can watching the Roos run around with a suburban feel to it. Have a kick with the kids at breaks..... Can't wait.

Have you sat I those grandstands??? They are pish! I would bloody well love to stand on the hill drinking a can watching the Roos run around with a suburban feel to it. Have a kick with the kids at breaks..... Can't wait.

Dont disagree, would just love for some extra dosh to be thrown at the club to build a grandstand :p

GarnerSmash

10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dont disagree, would just love for some extra dosh to be thrown at the club to build a grandstand :p
Cafe/grandstand combo!!!

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This would be great for player development! i have some friends who play for collingwood and the amount of money they spend on player development is amazing -its great to see that their team still sucks tho :D

Would it be great for player development? currently all our rucks have a good got at it, would that be the case with one team?

Jack Bradley

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would it be great for player development? currently all our rucks have a good got at it, would that be the case with one team?
Yeah i guess i havent thought about the issues that we would have with positions. I was thinking about the benefits of being able to get our ressies playing the same style of game as our seniors, and having more control over what they would be focusing on, their roles ect.

If we are able to donate to our debt reduction campaign why not just continue the donation towards our own vfl team...would put a new meaning to "team sponsorship" . Deck chairs on the hill would solve the grandstand issue and a "permanent" mobile coffee van with tables and chairs would temporarily solve the cafe issue. Hire a loo can cover the amenities and maybe have the kids holding up numbers to compensate for a scoreboard or do it the old way of having the scores on the fence around the ground...:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see it, but given our partnerships are working so well with NB and Werribee, not sure this would be on the clubs radar for the short to medium term.

Almost forget the Port Melbourne and Tassie days.

Wild Kangaroo

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy, AS Roma, Italy, Melb Storm
Would love to see it, but given our partnerships are working so well with NB and Werribee, not sure this would be on the clubs radar for the short to medium term.

Almost forget the Port Melbourne and Tassie days.

Almost certain to happen around 2017!

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And the dogs can???
We are making profits year on year.
I'm not saying do it today, but put a sustainable plan in place to do it I five years.

That's why we're top four and they aren't even in the eight.

We shouldn't be looking to a club that can barely win a game as an example.

JaZZa619

Debutant
Jul 30, 2012
Keysborough, Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
La Lakers, New Orleans Saints
Clear the debt, create a VFL team.

Maybe 2016 perhaps?

Yea I agree with u there the difference is between Bulldogs and north is Bulldogs are more in debt then us we want to get out of debt so if we create our own vfl side tomorrow it will put us back in debt it cost so much money to run vfl sides don't get me wrong I want north to have our own vfl side but we need to get out of debt first that's the clubs major goal at the moment I rather see the club get out of debt first then to make our vfl side. prob in the next 5 or 6years will have our own vfl side

May 8, 2013
Vice City
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Exactly, it makes good business sense to have some capital already saved up. Then make the VFL team a sustainable part of the clubs business model going forward. There's point getting a VFL team and then having the deal blow up 5-10 years later. Also am I right in saying the Doggies struck a deal with Victoria University? What kind of effect has that made on the their deal?

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Exactly, it makes good business sense to have some capital already saved up. Then make the VFL team a sustainable part of the clubs business model going forward. There's point getting a VFL team and then having the deal blow up 5-10 years later. Also am I right in saying the Doggies struck a deal with Victoria University? What kind of effect has that made on the their deal?
I think VU have a sponsorship arrangement with the Doggies VFL squad. Not sure how much or if it in fact covers the costs of a VFL team. Once our debt is cleared we will likely have an extra $1mil a year to invest back into the FD. Some estimations are that a VFL team would cost half that to set up and run. Given that we seem to also be heading in the right direction on field too, this will likely bring in more $$$ and provide the club with more FD spending capability. I would think that if in 2016 we have an extra $2-3 million to play with that $500K on a VFL team would be a very wise developmental investment.

Wild Kangaroo

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy, AS Roma, Italy, Melb Storm
Yea I agree with u there the difference is between Bulldogs and north is Bulldogs are more in debt then us we want to get out of debt so if we create our own vfl side tomorrow it will put us back in debt it cost so much money to run vfl sides don't get me wrong I want north to have our own vfl side but we need to get out of debt first that's the clubs major goal at the moment I rather see the club get out of debt first then to make our vfl side. prob in the next 5 or 6years will have our own vfl side

Thats why we'll probably have our own team in 2017.

DalBoySanto

Debutant
Apr 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'
I'm not sure if this belongs somewhere else, and if it does I apologize.
I know all we hear out of the club is that the current arrangement works really well and in sure it does, but I for one would love to be able to go to Arden street and watch our 2's play. Not half of them all of them. Surely for development purposes it would work better for the players. Looking at the split this year, some weeks I couldn't help but think if all those guys were in the same team, how competitive they would be. It would make Arden street more of a destination for our supporters, and it would make us even more relevant in the area. Surely if the dogs can afford to do it, and win a premiership then we can. Thoughts??

I'd love to see that would rather go to the 2nds game then the firsts :)

Spaking

Debutant
Oct 6, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
You don't need a gate to play but you need a gate to play finals at your home ground.
Our VFL side should be called the "Shinboners"

All the other ex-vfl grounds have grandstands. I wonder whether arden st missing a grand stand might be an impediement to us playing games there.

Local councils sometimes get involved in sprucing up VFL grounds (Bayside Council and Sandringham is one example). Surely if North talked up the community benefits, they could get some grandstand related funding for Arden Street.

I think it would be great. A lot of talented guys choose local footy over VFL when the VFL/AFL teams are linked because of lack of opportunities (one mate of mine was drafted by Casey as a forward and spent the entire time in the backline due to Jack Watts). Get our own VFL side, give North listed players a run in our side and the VFL only guys can play for North Ballarat/Werribee.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Yeah i guess i havent thought about the issues that we would have with positions. I was thinking about the benefits of being able to get our ressies playing the same style of game as our seniors, and having more control over what they would be focusing on, their roles ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back