Our periodic fades/falling asleep during periods of the game

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
It's been fairly obvious this year we've had some terrible periods during matches where we drop off dramatically, barely score and barely even have any forward 50 entries. Defensively we're often okay, but scoring just dries up. Often in the same game we'll have a period of heavy scoring. Disturbingly it often comes after we seems to be in a winning position, like at 3 quarter time tonight. Credit to the Pies, but it seems we have a certain softness about us sometimes. It happened today, against Hawthorn, and numerous other times during the season. Even when we thrashed St. Kilda and Freo it happened. To me it's the most troubling aspect of our game. What do you think is the main cause of this? And how can it be addressed? Simply psychological? Maybe we go too hard for periods and run out of steam?

It looked to me like we simply ran out of steam. Nothing psychological at all. We looked fatigued going into half time so it did not surprise me at all that we came out in the 3rd playing the possession game to conserve energy. Eventually it reached the point where we didn't have the energy to break away to present open options around the back & centre of the ground, and as a result the last 1/3rd of the game was played mostly in our backline.
I wasn't getting ahead of myself after a win over a pathetic Dockers team (which was a physically taxing game despite the lopsided scoreline), and I'm not getting too down about a loss to the Pies in which I still saw plenty of good signs. It's a pity we couldn't jag a goal at the end & steal the 4 points, but theft is what it would have been because we didn't deserve to win. But nothing to panic about IMO. 9 day break is exactly what we need right now.
My biggest negative was the ease at which the Pies scored on us early, and that is entirely fixable. Hurn acknowledged it so you know it will be sorted immediately.

It's a 1 point loss to a side that played a Grand Final last year.

We'll be fine. We jag the close wins but this does not make us immune to close losses either. It's not like we played four quarters consistently last year either.

Premierships aren't won in July - we've been here before. I have complete confidence in Simmo and the coaching staff to prepare us for finals.

Typically you will find many of these periods of lapses are when the opposition changes something around the stoppage and the team is still getting a handle on how to contain it.

Often it will be as simple as an extra hanging out the back; when the team is unable to make the opposition accountable (usually due to player(s) being unable to keep pace aerobically with their marks), it can have an exaggerated impact further downfield as other members of the team then get caught between loose opposition players and their direct opponent.

Lack of purposeful midfield rotations is the biggest contributing factor to these lapses in my opinion.

As mentioned previously here, the Collingwood fade-out can be (at least partially) attributed to consecutive heavy wet weather matches followed by just a six day break before playing again.

Every club has these fade outs.

We are lucky we have a great backline that saves us most times.

Since the Sydney game we havent conceded more than 11 goals which is great.

A settled backline is important going into finals.

If we can keep getting 50+ i50s a game with our forward line and restrict sides to under 11 goals then we are on the right track... fade outs or not.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every club has these fade outs.

We are lucky we have a great backline that saves us most times.

Since the Sydney game we havent conceded more than 11 goals which is great.

A settled backline is important going into finals.

If we can keep getting 50+ i50s a game with our forward line and restrict sides to under 11 goals then we are on the right track... fade outs or not.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes and no.
Our fadeouts are still concerning. Teams like Brisbane and Richmond wont let us get away with that crap. They'll score big against us during those periods. Momentum is hard to stop, especislly shown when we've lost big this year.

When other sides start going through Sheed's man at the stoppages it can get ugly.

Our key, ball winning mids still don't get much of a chop out as our HF rotations are much more outside (Crippa, Wille, Ryan). Redddo, Shuey, Yeo can only go at 100% for so long and eventually we can get caught where the guys need a breather and the intensity tails off for a period.

It's why I still hold a flickering candle for Bachee to come good, clung to Tunbridge finding his feet at AFL level etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its shifted from falling asleep to opposition coming in with strategies to counter our game plan and that coming off very easily dur to our inability to win the ground ball

Our midfielf depth rapidly falls away after shuey and yeo. Redden and sheed do not do enough IMO. The club needs to get creative to land kelly.

Relying on the great white hope in nic isnt the solution.

It's the coaches that don't force change by ensuring players are motivated. Whether that's dropping players who knows, but what they've done clearly hasn't worked. Simpson isn't a great head coach I don't think and he got lucky last year
Simpson's taken us from 9-13 in 2013 to
11-11 in 2014
16-5-1 in 2015
16-6 in 2016
12-10 in 2017
16-6 in 2018
15-7 in 2019
We're 6-3 in finals in that time. We've played in 2 grand finals and won a premiership. We've spent the majority of that time without our marquee player.
He's pretty s**t hey, give him the boot. :rolleyes:

Simpson's taken us from 9-13 in 2013 to
11-11 in 2014
16-5-1 in 2015
16-6 in 2016
12-10 in 2017
16-6 in 2018
15-7 in 2019
We're 6-3 in finals in that time. We've played in 2 grand finals and won a premiership. We've spent the majority of that time without our marquee player.
He's pretty s**t hey, give him the boot. :rolleyes:
the * is a marquee player?

Its shifted from falling asleep to opposition coming in with strategies to counter our game plan and that coming off very easily dur to our inability to win the ground ball

Our midfielf depth rapidly falls away after shuey and yeo. Redden and sheed do not do enough IMO. The club needs to get creative to land kelly.

Relying on the great white hope in nic isnt the solution.

Yes, it has exposed our lack of midfield depth too. I also feel our defence is weak. Teams get it in far too easily. Look at Geelong and how they totally block it up. We rely too much on interception but just allow too much space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back