Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
I reckon that Big Boy and Cegs have, slowly but surely, lifted themselves from just a serviceable duo to quite a good one. Still not exactly the most powerful combination in the league, but then again we virtually have never had that.
They were both very good against Richmond and building nicely.
I feel we need to cross our fingers that neither get injured, as we fall away from there. Fitzpatrick seems to be strictly depth and Pitonet is very inexperienced and needs more work.
Wadda ya think?

I reckon that Big Boy and Cegs have, slowly but surely, lifted themselves from just a serviceable duo to quite a good one. Still not exactly the most powerful combination in the league, but then again we virtually have never had that.
I feel we need to cross our fingers that neither get injured, as we fall away from there. Fitzpatrick seems to be strictly depth and Pitonet is very inexperienced and needs more work.
Wadda ya think?
Building towards September. Big boys big body and big contested marking and hard hitting will be good for finals and the cegs needs to use his endurance and run around the ground and keep his contested marks going just improve infront of goals.

Wadda ya think?
Both played really well on the weekend

Both played really well on the weekend
I was just watching the replay. Last couple of minutes were amazing. Cegs takes a big grab, although he misses an easy shot. Ball gets kicked in, Cegs gets back and takes a big grab. Bombs it in, Big Boy takes a big grab and slots it. Junk time yes, but still scary stuff.

Building towards September. Big boys big body and big contested marking and hard hitting will be good for finals and the cegs needs to use his endurance and run around the ground and keep his contested marks going just improve infront of goals.

Yep, this is the key for both Big Boy and Cegsy.

They are still running hard, taking marks, having shots at goal at the end of the game; that's what makes them so valuable.

I prefer Cegs to Big Boy. Big Boy is just a battler. Slow as a wet week and prone to making some stupid decisions. But the cupboard is bare so must persist with him. Even if he gives me little confidence.

I prefer Cegs to Big Boy. Big Boy is just a battler. Slow as a wet week and prone to making some stupid decisions. But the cupboard is bare so must persist with him. Even if he gives me little confidence.

If only Cegs would kick through the ball rather than stab at it to steer it through when lining up for goal. This is where BB has it over Cegs.

There really isnt anyone else. Pitt, you wouldnt want to be relying on at this stage, and we may as well send out an APB and bring back Skipper if we're relying on Fitzy. They offer us nothing leading into the finals. Too late.

Big Boy and Cegs have done brilliantly to stay on the paddock, carry injury, and pace themselves through the year. Played well within themselves at times, with glimpses of the damage they can do. Will be switched on come finals I've no doubt. And BB won't be rucking to their mids. It'll be show time.

We need to draft or trade a ruckman this year as we have no depth. We are also light in the KPP area as well. Todd Marshall as a KPP and Tim English as a Ruckman are the 2 highest rated ones. They are expected to go around Pick 8-15.
I would be prepared to draft either one in front of a midfielder if they are available draft night. Getting these 2 positions rights is just about the hardest thing of all. (the drafting of Roughead and Franklin has carried all the way through to today). Yes and I know we need midfielders too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have two good rucks. Not dominating, but sufficient for our needs. When they play ok, it means our system is working.

They don't need to be dominant in our system.

Certainly excited to see how they perform in the finals as a tandem.

We need to draft or trade a ruckman this year as we have no depth. We are also light in the KPP area as well. Todd Marshall as a KPP and Tim English as a Ruckman are the 2 highest rated ones. They are expected to go around Pick 8-15.
I would be prepared to draft either one in front of a midfielder if they are available draft night. Getting these 2 positions rights is just about the hardest thing of all. (the drafting of Roughead and Franklin has carried all the way through to today). Yes and I know we need midfielders too.

Our depth is pretty good, we just need one additional ruckman who is AFL level and not a recent draft pick. i.e. 22 years or older Ruck.

We've got Big Boy, Ceglar, Fitzpatrick and Pittonet. One other would be great.

Our depth is pretty good, we just need one additional ruckman who is AFL level and not a recent draft pick. i.e. 22 years or older Ruck.

We've got Big Boy, Ceglar, Fitzpatrick and Pittonet. One other would be great.

I know not 22, but Surman could end up being the most natural Ruck on the list with his basketball background.

I know not 22, but Surman could end up being the most natural Ruck on the list with his basketball background.
I was impressed with his efforts in the VFL on the weekend. He won some nice taps in his limited time in the ruck, he's a few years away though you would think, same as Pitts who is a couple of years off being an AFL level ruck most likely.

Fitz is the closest we have at the moment and the fact he is back at box hill this weekend means we've got a chance at some depth heading into finals.

I like our combination & think that it will only improve over time.
Next year will be critical in where they are at as a tandem & this is where they need significant pressure to keep their spot.
Pitt is a year or two away, Fitzy can't kick or ruck & I believe Surman is to small to be a second ruck.
Witts was someone that I have mentioned before, who is very ordinary & not sought after, that I believe could add to the clearence numbers moving forward.
At 23 he is still 2-3 years off his peak as a big man & I think that he would be an awesome acquisition for competition as #1 ruck at the expense of Fitzy on our list.
Essentially he would be the #1 ruck & Cegs & BB fighting it out for the ruck/fwd role.
I believe there will be a significant game style change at Hawthorn over the next 2 years & first use of the ball will be critical in delivering the footy to our multitude of marking forwards.
Our current crop don't quite deliver in this department but are being groomed as forwards...
Time will tell

The thing that has always impressed me about Ceglar is his movement around the ground. Always finds himself in good positions to provide an option for a teammate or a deterrent for an opposition. For a big guy too, is isn't slow. He gets a fair amount of velocity once in full flight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back