Our run home.

Remove this Banner Ad

kaysee

Rising From The Ashes
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Jul 30, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I am quite happy with the run we have before the finals this year. With the last 5 games as follows:

Round 18 - Hawthorn v PA (MCG) - another oppotunity to play at the GF venue against a team that is struggling this year and who we match up well against.

RD 19 - PA v Carlton (AAMI) - Home game against a big crowd puller but another struggling team this year.

RD 20 - PA v Melbourne (AAMI) - Home game against another struggling team but a team who we always struggle against. Maybe a scrappy game... good game to prepare for the finals.

RD 21 - Richmond v Port Adelaide (TD) - We seem to like the Telstra Dome and we matchup well against Richmond.

RD 22 - Port Adelaide v Adelaide (AAMI) - Our home game against the Crows should give us a good competitive lead in to the finals. As long as we don't over-emphasise the game like the last game against Brisbane last year and Bickley doesn't headhunt KPPs.

So looking at those games it gives us 2 trips to Melbourne against teams we matchup well against and 3 home games with 2 against struggling clubs (maybe good for percentage that could resolve ladder positions) and 1 good contest in a 'finals' type atmosphere.

I know I am getting ahead of myself but I like this years lead into the finals. Plus it gives several weeks of games after we play Brisban in Brisbane, which could be a confidence smasher if we loose by a big margin up there.

Cheers
SKC

Originally posted by kaysee
I am quite happy with the run we have before the finals this year. With the last 5 games as follows:

Round 18 - Hawthorn v PA (MCG) - another oppotunity to play at the GF venue against a team that is struggling this year and who we match up well against.

RD 19 - PA v Carlton (AAMI) - Home game against a big crowd puller but another struggling team this year.

RD 20 - PA v Melbourne (AAMI) - Home game against another struggling team but a team who we always struggle against. Maybe a scrappy game... good game to prepare for the finals.

RD 21 - Richmond v Port Adelaide (TD) - We seem to like the Telstra Dome and we matchup well against Richmond.

RD 22 - Port Adelaide v Adelaide (AAMI) - Our home game against the Crows should give us a good competitive lead in to the finals. As long as we don't over-emphasise the game like the last game against Brisbane last year and Bickley doesn't headhunt KPPs.

I know I am getting ahead of myself but I like this years lead into the finals. Plus it gives several weeks of games after we play Brisban in Brisbane, which could be a confidence smasher if we loose by a big margin up there.

Cheers
SKC

Rd 18 - I agree, however the Hawks could very well have turned the corner on Saturday.

Rd 19 - Good to get Pagan twice a year. His Kangas teams were good enough to hold us for a game. His current Carlton team, good enough to hold us for a half. Will be a tough game, home ground will do it for us.

Rd 20 - Last year Melbourne put the fear of God into me, got within 4 points. Play AAMI well, another tough one.

Rd 21 - With no Gaspar and a roof over Tredders head could spell trouble for the Tiges. However another danger game.

Rd 22 - Put your money on Port 1-12.

And don't worry about getting smashed in Brisbane. I think we are almost a completely different team from the one that went up last year.

The end will justify the means.

If we indeed lose to said teams, and we learn from it, good. The GF is the goal, and all eyes at the club should be fixed upon it.

With the farce that is the MCC contract I am hoping Port finish top again so that we have the greatest claim to home finals. If it was difficult to get Port people to finals at AAMI because of the ticket price, think how difficult it will be when there is also the cost of interstate travel. I have no problem, I will be on holiday then anyway, but I don't want to be in a sterile atmosphere without scads of Port supporters around me.

The run home is a little bit strange compared to normal years, normally the last seven rounds of the year is identical to the first seven teams we played but this year there is a difference.

Round 1 - West Coast
Round 2 - Brisbane
Round 3 - Hawthorn
Round 4 - Carlton
Round 5 - Adelaide
Round 6 - Richmond
Round 7 - Melbourne

Round 16 - West Coast
Round 17 - Brisbane
Round 18 - Hawthorn
Round 19 - Carlton
Round 20 - Melbourne
Round 21 - Richmond
Round 22 - Adelaide

Is there any reason why they have swapped around the sequence of Round 5/7 with Round Round 20/22? No doubt they wanted the Blockbusters coming into the finals but why didn't they just swap Round 5 with 7 in the first place?

Thinking about it though its probably just because of the Essendon v Collingwood game on Anzac Day, still seems rather strange though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back