snakebite01

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2002
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Spurs
I saw this thread on the Port board and thought it was a good idea so that we could see just how much depth we actually have. We've all decided on a first team for Round 1 2003 so It'd be interesting to see what we have as back up for our first team.

FB: Crowell Parker Smith

HB: Begley Rutten Massie

C: Gallagher Nelson Mattner

HF: Schuback Perrie Bock

FF: Schell Hentschel Jericho

R: Marsh Shirley Reilly

Our defence is very young and looks to have a lot of talent and potential for future years. Rutten appears to be ready to fill in for any injured player and if Parker gets a spot on the senior list due to injuries then he is physically ready to play. Crowell, massie and begley can all play AFL football if required.

We have 2 very young and potentially excellent wingers in Gallagher and Mattner who are both eager to get a crack at AFL level and will try to fill anyone's shoes if given the chance. Our midlfield defintely isn't as strong as our first team's ofcourse however Nelson and Shirley can both come in and do a job for the team if needed.

Our forward line looks extremely young and exciting. The likes of Hentschel and Jericho down there with Schuback and Bock feeding off them looks good. Perrie is as keen as ever to revitalise his AFL career so he may well be a surprise packet this year.

The ruck spot looks a bit lean with just Marsh however he played a few games last year and he knows it is now or never.

Overall the 'reserve' team looks raw but full of talent. Anyone who says we have recruited for the present only and we will be rebuilding in a few years only needs to look at this team to see the talent coming through at Adelaide. Many of these young players are expected to step up this year to put pressure on the senior members so all looks good for many years to come at the Crows.

37 main squad players + 2 veterans + 4 rookies... 43 players.

Take away the best 22 that leaves 21 players.

Pity we didn't use our preseason pick then we could create two teams of 22 players! Oh well, our lesser players have to play in the SANFL where they only have teams of 21 players anyway. :)

Make the bench...

I: Skipworth Porplyzia Bratton

Nice post there sb. Good comments there too.

If there's one area I'd like for there to be improvement in our second team there, its in the ruck.

If these guys can get a whole heap more experience in the years to come, I reckon it bodes well for us for sure.

Originally posted by snakebite01

FB: Crowell Parker Smith

HB: Begley Rutten Massie

C: Gallagher Nelson Mattner

HF: Schuback Perrie Bock

FF: Schell Hentschel Jericho

R: Marsh Shirley Reilly

With an interchange of Skipworth, Porplyzia, & Bratton it is a pretty good line-up for a "second team" I just had a peep at the Powder's second 18 and I reckon for the first time in a fair while we have them covered for depth.

Chris McDermott, who has made an art form of bagging the Crows since he was delisted by Blighty, has repeatedly made that very point on 5AA in the last few weeks that he thinks that the current Adelaide list is now better than Port's. which certainly hasn't been the case in recent times.

Of the 21 members of the 2nd team, all but Jericho, Skipworth, Porplyzia, Bratton and maybe Bock,Parker and Smith are very real chances to play at least one or more games at AFL level depending what opportunities arise and in which positions. Of those 14 there is likely to be at least one that will emerge well beyond most people's expectations, which is always one of the exciting aspects of footy.

Definitely our best list since 97/98.

Originally posted by crowsfan

If there's one area I'd like for there to be improvement in our second team there, its in the ruck.

/B]

Exactly right Crowsfan! Why the club can't see this I don't know.

Dave W I agree about the extra pick too.

Great post snakebite, the B team looks alright. Hopefully they get to play the Port B's again this summer.

I read the Christmas edition of Inside Football today, which contains an article called Perform or Perish. It lists players from all clubs under the pump and their top three are Marsh (debut 98, 46 games), Nelson (debut 1997 52 games)and Perrie (debut 97, 52 games).

Crowell also listed as players who saved their careers in 2002. All four would want to lift their game next year (esp Marsh) but I suspect all four could be gone within 12 months.

Jerome

Re: Re: Our "second" team

Originally posted by macca23

Chris McDermott, who has made an art form of bagging the Crows since he was delisted by Blighty, has repeatedly made that very point on 5AA in the last few weeks that he thinks that the current Adelaide list is now better than Port's. which certainly hasn't been the case in recent times.

Definitely our best list since 97/98.

When did he get back on the bandwagon? That's the most sensible thing he's said since....um...

Jerome

There's no doubt that the Crows' backups have more AFL experience than Port's do (although Che would mess that up).

Originally posted by Jerome
I read the Christmas edition of Inside Football today, which contains an article called Perform or Perish. It lists players from all clubs under the pump and their top three are Marsh (debut 98, 46 games), Nelson (debut 1997 52 games)and Perrie (debut 97, 52 games).

Crowell also listed as players who saved their careers in 2002. All four would want to lift their game next year (esp Marsh) but I suspect all four could be gone within 12 months.

Jerome

Nothing wrong with your logic about Marsh, Jerome, but his one saving grace is that he is six foot umpteen tall, which will save him in spite of his countless faults until we have a replacement in the bag.

I also think that Inside Football was very kind to Daniel Schell not to list him as well under Perform or Perish. Definitely the softest player who played for the Crows this year. Totally agree with their ratings of Nelson and Perrie. Crowell is a handy player who can play on a tall or a small - played a blinder on St Kilda's Milne this year. Needs to believe in himself a little more IMO. But if the younger players develop as we think they will he certainly is at risk.

Originally posted by snakebite01

Overall the 'reserve' team looks raw but full of talent. Anyone who says we have recruited for the present only and we will be rebuilding in a few years only needs to look at this team to see the talent coming through at Adelaide. Many of these young players are expected to step up this year to put pressure on the senior members so all looks good for many years to come at the Crows.

Good Post. Never a truer word spoken. I think it will be a case of e.g. "OK lad, heres your chance, Ill start you on the bench this week and bring you on as I see fit but if you dont perform there are plenty that will replace you"

One example of where this happened last year could've been Massie; played like his spot depended on it.

Take a bow Kris

Re: Re: Our "second" team

Originally posted by topjars
Good Post. Never a truer word spoken. I think it will be a case of e.g. "OK lad, heres your chance, Ill start you on the bench this week and bring you on as I see fit but if you dont perform there are plenty that will replace you"

One example of where this happened last year could've been Massie; played like his spot depended on it.

Take a bow Kris

Right on the money topjars. It's a real shame that Massie has been slowed down by that damn CFS - as you said he played like his spot depended on it.

Gary Ayres was bagged unmercifully and sometimes undeservedly in his first year as coach. He might not be the brightest or the qickest re-acting coach, but he is all about honesty and honest footballers. He only wants players who give 100% - the way that he played the game. Add this to natural talent and a team becomes a real chance to win a flag.

Even in this reserve team, only Marsh and Schell look soft. And competition for spots will bring out even more desperation in these lads trying to break into the side - as you say topjars, there are plenty to replace them.

It's looking good!!! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back