Review Our selection panel needs to be reviewed

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there is any way that Jack would have kicked his 4 goals if Griffiths wasn't keeping Hansen from cutting off his leads. I guess the question is would Lennon have kept him busier, however in Round 23 Hansen was doing his standard role against us doing exactly that even though Lennon was in the side.
Yeah I would say from where I was I thought the passing was better to jack instead of Griff getting in the way. It was more about kicking out from defensive 50 that Hanson got it a lot, and there still was too much easy marks into our fwd 50 un opposed.

??...ummm in hindsight it wasnt risky, it was totally f***ed!!

Brown, Waite, Petrie, Goldstein, Hansen, Tarrent, Thompson, Firrito etc etc Norf are one of the tallest sides in the comp (off the top of my head - not backed up by stats). Probably the only side in the finals the match committee would have considered bringing Griff in for IMO. Massive gamble that backfired.

Brown, Waite, Petrie, Goldstein, Hansen, Tarrent, Thompson, Firrito etc etc Norf are one of the tallest sides in the comp (off the top of my head - not backed up by stats). Probably the only side in the finals the match committee would have considered bringing Griff in for IMO. Massive gamble that backfired.

Yea why gamble when you are the better team. It was like they were 5th and we 8th. Let them worry about us not vice versa. Was not worried about North and their dinosaurs until the powers to be tried to win it at the selection table.

What is totally mistifying, outside the brains trust purely wanting to collect from a final at the G, is if we were that s**t scared of our match ups re. talls etc against Norf, why not just rest half our side in the last round and play whovever else wherever else? We match up against the crows, so were we to focused on playing one at the G, instead of mapping a less risky path?

Anyway, whatever the f**k, at the end of the day with 4-5 players MIA on the day, we still nearly stole the *a from a team that will get their arses handed to them on a platter next week...make no mistake, they are pretenders and to think we had 4 of our top guns gathering a total of 44 disposals for the day and had it been for a ****ed up ump desicion we hit the front with 5 to go...f**k that shits me

What is totally mistifying, outside the brains trust purely wanting to collect from a final at the G, is if we were that s**t scared of our match ups re. talls etc against Norf, why not just rest half our side in the last round and play whovever else wherever else? We match up against the crows, so were we to focused on playing one at the G, instead of mapping a less risky path?

Anyway, whatever the f**k, at the end of the day with 4-5 players MIA on the day, we still nearly stole the ****a from a team that will get their arses handed to them on a platter next week...make no mistake, they are pretenders and to think we had 4 of our top guns gathering a total of 44 disposals for the day and had it been for a stuffed up ump desicion we hit the front with 5 to go...f**k that shits me
I remember checking the stats at half time when we were up and it looked like we had barely touched the ball. All our guns bar Miles, Dusty and Jack had barely touched it yet we were up. Probably should've realized then that we were in trouble.

Quote of the year regarding our selection.

"We thought if we got him (Griffiths) through two-and-a-bit quarters and bring Conca on, like we did, it would be OK," Hardwick said.

Yeah lets try that on the crucial final. Not like we have any in form goal kickers like Lennon or Loyd.

I'm of the opinion that Conca should not have started as sub. For someone who has been out of AFL level for a while, why bring him on in the third when he has to adapt to the pressure of a final quickly? Thought he would have been better served playing from the start and allowing him time to settle, as well as using his freshness so to speak to do some damage early while North struggled to get into the wing of things.

Thought Lambert was an ideal sub.

I was actually surprised Matt Thomas wasn't thrown in the mix. Inside footy is clearly a huge strength for the Roos and Thomas would have helped compete with their extractors. Having him play through the middle would have allowed whoever got the Jacobs tag ( turned out to be cotchin) to go forward and expose him without leaving us one short in mid rotations. Thomas would also have been "expendable" in terms of applying physical pressure to north players/taggers around stoppages.

I also would have started loyd as small forward to feed off the Hansen third man up contests. Let them worry about being too tall in defence rather than us picking griff because we had concerns about being too small.

Lennon sub in case loyd had no influence.

No conca, no griff. They just hadn't played enough footy.

It's all so easy after the games played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back