Analysis Our set shot kicking accuracy: what is going on and how to improve it?

Remove this Banner Ad

So, after 8 rounds it's pretty evident that our set shot accuracy needs improvement. Particularly concerning is De Goey's kicking for goal which seems to have worsened since last year. The only guys I have confident in front of the big sticks at the moment are Mihocek and Elliot. The rest of the forwards (and forward mids) have been pretty inaccurate this year. Yes, Stephenson kicked decently against Port, but on Saturday he was still inaccurate. Most of the set shots I'm highlighting are those that should easily be kicked as the angle or distance isn't that great.

So what is going on? Why are we mediocre in front of goal this year (I know as a club we haven't been the best set shot kicking side in history)? Even Carlton were pinging beautiful set shots on the weekend from pretty tight angles. Another example is Essendon on Anzac Day.

I'm just trying to work out how we can be poor in front of the goals. Our forwards do this thing on a weekly basis, so is there really an excuse? Who is in charge of set shot kicking training?

Anyway, share your thoughts.

Last edited:
It's most likely confidence and it's weird that confidence can also be a team thing. It is though. Each miss places more pressure on the next person.

On Saturday a lot of set shots fell short but I felt that the ball didn't travel far in the air all game. Carlton only got one long goal home too and that was McKay from the 50m line when no-one minded the mark.

JDG only missed one bad set shot on Saturday. At least he nailed the second one (set shot) that hopefully gave him some confidence.

I don't think I've answered your question!

For the season to date our conversion is 106.80 including touched SOG and excluding both rushed behinds and OOF. I’m far from convinced our set shot goal kicking is an issue.

From my perspective the eye test says we’ve had three poor outings this year (v Bulldogs, v Essendon and v Port) and the rest have been average or better. I’d like us to improve of course, but on the balance of things I would say that we’re in the top 8 v the rest of the competition.

De Goey has kicked 19.14
Stephenson 13.8
Elliot 12.5
Mihocek 11.7
Cox 9.6
Thomas 8.4

Overall it's not a disaster, but De Goey in particular has made a mess of lots of important shots in the past month.

De Goey has kicked 19.14
Stephenson 13.8
Elliot 12.5
Mihocek 11.7
Cox 9.6
Thomas 8.4

Overall it's not a disaster, but De Goey in particular has made a mess of lots of important shots in the past month.

DeGoey's set shot accuracy is one of the league's worst this year. I think it was seven from twenty one before the Port game and he has missed a number of very easy set shots since then. The only way he seems comfortable kicking at goal is when it's completely on instinct with no time to think.

For the season to date our conversion is 106.80 including touched SOG and excluding both rushed behinds and OOF. I’m far from convinced our set shot goal kicking is an issue.

From my perspective the eye test says we’ve had three poor outings this year (v Bulldogs, v Essendon and v Port) and the rest have been average or better. I’d like us to improve of course, but on the balance of things I would say that we’re in the top 8 v the rest of the competition.
Geelong game we missed a lot of easy ones

De Goey?

I’m going to ask if his shin matter contributes to him not kicking a set shot with confidence?

Otherwise he should just practice and he’ll get better soon.

De Goey?

I’m going to ask if his shin matter contributes to him not kicking a set shot with confidence?

Perhaps practice will help but for some at the club, practicing poor technique will never fix the issue. If players keep practicing running out to the right on their approach or pivoting on their planted foot they can practice until the cows come home. They wont improve.
I reckon some of our guys need some basic instruction of walking straight at the target & kick through with your leg in a straight line. Players are bringing in angles to their goal kicking that simply don't need to be there. Players need to not watch buddy kick for goal.
A Mathew Lloyd or someone equivalent even part time would improve the goal kicking a hell of a lot more than practicing poor technique ever will. Once the technique is correct then yes practice will help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong game we missed a lot of easy ones

Happy to be corrected, but I felt like we blew more opportunities in general play and because we were so badly beaten up at the contest set shot conversion didn’t seem a factor.

Happy to be corrected, but I felt like we blew more opportunities in general play and because we were so badly beaten up at the contest set shot conversion didn’t seem a factor.
Felt we blew both, for memory both Grundy and Pendles missed very easy set shots. Given how good Geelong look its impressive we blew so many easy chances and still could have won

Perhaps practice will help but for some at the club, practicing poor technique will never fix the issue. If players keep practicing running out to the right on their approach or pivoting on their planted foot they can practice until the cows come home. They wont improve.
I reckon some of our guys need some basic instruction of walking straight at the target & kick through with your leg in a straight line. Players are bringing in angles to their goal kicking that simply don't need to be there. Players need to not watch buddy kick for goal.
A Mathew Lloyd or someone equivalent even part time would improve the goal kicking a hell of a lot more than practicing poor technique ever will. Once the technique is correct then yes practice will help.
We actually have one of the greatest ever kicks on the coaching staff, a certain Mr Buckley.

Mason Cox got taught perfectly, keep it real simple.

Jordan needs to practice and keep it real simple.

De Goey?

IMO De Goey’s accuracy is being hurt by the fact he often leads to space on the boundary.

I love his evasiveness in general play, but for me it’s Brown who needs to improve his accuracy when taking the set shot. Granted he isn’t and will never be a long kick, but I reckon he has missed half a dozen from directly in front 30-40 out.

If he wants to cement a spot long term in the side he needs to nail each and everyone of those opportunities.

Some sort of punishment for DeGoey for every time he doesn’t use his full 30 seconds
Really? I reckon he's better when he just pulls the trigger. Love him across the body. Drop punts from 35 when he lines them up like a normal player - i don't like so much.

Really? I reckon he's better when he just pulls the trigger. Love him across the body. Drop punts from 35 when he lines them up like a normal player - i don't like so much.

The problem is that he also thinks he’s better when he pulls the trigger. It hasn’t been panning out that way this year.

IMO De Goey’s accuracy is being hurt by the fact he often leads to space on the boundary.

I love his evasiveness in general play, but for me it’s Brown who needs to improve his accuracy when taking the set shot. Granted he isn’t and will never be a long kick, but I reckon he has missed half a dozen from directly in front 30-40 out.

If he wants to cement a spot long term in the side he needs to nail each and everyone of those opportunities.
Spot on with JDG, a lot of his set shots are not directly in front, he either needs to look up for a target or practice set shots from the bondary/flanks.
Inaccuracy has cost us dearly for the last two decades.

I really don't think our goal kicking is a big issue right now. 107.80 is nothing of concern and we are the second most efficient team i50. The REAL issue is our clearance work. it is simply not good enough atm. we are ranked 16th in this department.

It’s our poor goal kicking that gives me a good feeling this year. Last time we won the premiership our goal kicking was pretty poor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back