Our short running forward line interestingly contrasted by our giant backs

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Tiger Talls all in the backline ... just an interesting observation

We likely have the tallest backline in the AFL with 5 regulars over 192 cm ...

Astbury 195

Rance 194

Grimes 193

McIntosh 192

Broad 192

We have one forward over 190 in Jack at 195, and,

The other active late season talls were our two Ruckmen in Shaun Grigg at 190 cm and Toby Nankervis at 199.

It worked out well.

I just like to write things and read things about us because I am happy.

We won the premiership on the weekend :p yes its true.

Our four players at or over 200cm played 9 games in total (Soldo 7, Griffiths 2, Hampson & Maric 0).

Other than the guys you named, Elton and Garthwaite were the only other senior listed players at 190cm or taller. There's also Moore and Chol on the rookie list.

Defense needs to match up with what other teams forwards have.

Forward line is up to us...and going short created mismatches that worked out our way.
Exactly. Thought that was pretty obvious.

Good thing about all our backs is that they're athletic.

See Astbury's chase down the wing on Charlie Cameron in the GF?

i just watched the replay and immediately thought of this, and what our premiership will change. There is a real possibilty that other clubs start to reflect this style, and the days of 2-3 monster backs go. (until someone wins a flag with 2-3 monster key forwards again)

Could our backline - who have been amazing - be broken up next year? Grimes, Astbury, Rance and Broad - can they all play together still if other clubs decide that they too will play small quick forward lines?

the thing is Grimes and Broad are quick enough to play shorter, but could there disposal handle relentless forward-line pressure? Would astbury get a game against RICHMOND's small forward line?

so many questions now pop up, but it shows Dimma and his crew could have changed the way the game is played (for at least the next 4-5 years)

Our back line was perfect for Adelaide. Tall marking group that doesn't apply crazy speed and pressure. If all teams got he small pressure forwards they have to face the fact that the tigers picked a heap of that sort of player when most teams were not. There only a limited number of quality fast, endurance quality small forwards. When each teams wants 1 or 2 it's fine for all, plenty to go around. When you want 4-5 each you run out of quality players and if you go small with low quality you'll just get smashed. Brilliant longer term drafting and development strategy. I could see it, but didn't understand it - until just over a month ago.

If other teams can match our small forward line, can they match our midfield? Without a quality midfield the small forward line doesn't work either.

We played a style of almost 2 overlapping sub-teams. We had a backline unit, and then a combined midfield/forwardline group. Worked a treat. The small forwards and JR got into the midfield and created mismatches and pressure, then when we streamed forward the backline set up and stopped the oppo. And with Bolton (at least) banging on the door I reckon the midfield could get stronger with Rioli moving in, Prestia getting fully fit, and Caddy playing his role even better. Then you've got young Jack Graham being forced to play non-final games as he is fitter and stronger.

I can't believe what just happened and that I believe we are likely to get better in a way other teams are unlikely to be able to copy.

The difference is our ‘tall’ backline is fairly flexible and quick.

Astbury is the only one that needs to play a tall big guy

Rance, Grimes, Broad can all play small to degree because of their speed and agility.

Other clubs currently don’t have that luxury

If for example we had to play on a small forward line we would be fine!
For example, as we lined up on Grand Final day

FB: Grimes, Astbury, Broad
FF: Butler, Riewoldt, Castagna

HB: Vlastuin, Rance, Houli
HF: Martin, Townsend, Rioli

Grimes plays his best footy on a small forward. McIntosh can move to a wing. Vlastuin and Broad can also play small. Rance plays on whoever the * he wants. Astbury to take the traditional full forward.
If for some reason we still feel we are too tall, we have (ironically) Short in the magoos who can play as a lockdown back pocket. Mcintosh and Markov can play Houli's role (albeit not as well) while Houli locks down.
Our backline is set for the next 4- 5 years with only Houli to be replaced, which we have the talent on the list to do so comfortably or Naish coming in this year.

As others have said, Grimes and Broad are able to play both tall and small, giving us amazing ability to have a good matchup on just about everyone.

This allows McIntosh, Houli etc the space to play far higher up. Even Broad and Rance are able too do this.

Rance/Astbury/Vlas/Grimes <- that group are able to cover every forward currently in the AFL matchup wise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back