Prediction Our side round 1, 2020...?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t count Birchall as a certainty for the best 22 if fit. There’s a lot of competition for the small and medium defender roles, and I’d say Rich is the only guarantee for one of those spots.
The way young Answerth played last year id nearly think he has a spot locked up too. He really was a breath of fresh air, i look fwd to seeing how much he can improve this year.

The way young Answerth played last year id nearly think he has a spot locked up too. He really was a breath of fresh air, i look fwd to seeing how much he can improve this year.
I thought Answerth would have been in the probables today, but Birchall and Ah Chee started in the probables and Rich and Answerth in the possibles.

I’m not reading too much into things yet.

I thought Answerth would have been in the probables today, but Birchall and Ah Chee started in the probables and Rich and Answerth in the possibles.

Birchall and AhChee in replace of Rich and Answerth initially before Rich got swapped around and Payne in for Adams who didn’t play at all.
I really like Answerth and I hope he is given a go early because he is probably the best lockdown small back we have.

Would be surprised if Rich is dropped out of the best 22 to start of the year. But I guess they want the new guys to get some exposure with the main team asap.

I know you were bit distracted with the little one, but did you notice if there were any other surprises on who played in the probables?

Would be surprised if Rich is dropped out of the best 22 to start of the year. But I guess they want the new guys to get some exposure with the main team asap.

I know you were bit distracted with the little one, but did you notice if there were any other surprises on who played in the probables?
Just Payne at full back, in for Marcus Adams who was doing work on the other field.

I fully get that his role is not just to kick goals as is pointed out, but McStay kicked 5 goals in the last 11 weeks of the season (including finals). I think he will get a start but if he can't produce within the first month, someone else will get a go, not sure who, maybe Wooller?

I fully get that his role is not just to kick goals as is pointed out, but McStay kicked 5 goals in the last 11 weeks of the season (including finals). I think he will get a start but if he can't produce within the first month, someone else will get a go, not sure who, maybe Wooller?

Will definitely be interesting to see, I'd wager his spot is pretty safe though. Bigger and stronger than most of the boys competing for his spot, so he's a bigger problem for the opposition in finding a good matchup to stop him from clunking marks around the ground. His field kicking is one of his positives as well. As long as he averages a goal a game and contributes with his role I can see him playing every game. More time in the role to grow his confidence and work on his game will hopefully bring him to another level this year.

Fingers crossed the younger boys can show some quality in pre-season and put some pressure on to get themselves picked though. Onwards and upwards this year, still lots to improve.

Will definitely be interesting to see, I'd wager his spot is pretty safe though. Bigger and stronger than most of the boys competing for his spot, so he's a bigger problem for the opposition in finding a good matchup to stop him from clunking marks around the ground. His field kicking is one of his positives as well. As long as he averages a goal a game and contributes with his role I can see him playing every game. More time in the role to grow his confidence and work on his game will hopefully bring him to another level this year.

Fingers crossed the younger boys can show some quality in pre-season and put some pressure on to get themselves picked though. Onwards and upwards this year, still lots to improve.

He is our top contested marker too IIRC

I totally agree with you a key forward needs to kick more than 0.5 goals per game. Other than his kicking for goal McStay does everything else right . We need to find other ways to,kick goals other than a long kick to space using a chaos ball for Cameron to out run his opposition player. This tactic did not work during our finals campaign.

I totally agree with you a key forward needs to kick more than 0.5 goals per game. Other than his kicking for goal McStay does everything else right . We need to find other ways to,kick goals other than a long kick to space using a chaos ball for Cameron to out run his opposition player. This tactic did not work during our finals campaign.
Definatley think he has to improve on his consistency throughout a game and have more impact considering he will be in his 7th year at the club. There are times where he just simply goes missing. I agree he is effective in aerial contests but as a key forward he just doesnt get to enough contests. I also dont think its unreasonable to expect a Key Forward to kick a minimum of 30 goals a season as Full Forward in my opinion and he hasn't got close to that yet.

Dan McStay 6th year in AFL system age 24, and Eric Hipwood with 4 years in system age 22 years.
McStay has only played a KPF for 3 of these years one of which was 2015 in his 2nd year. Lions finished 17th that year.
Hipwood has played forward in all 4 years so a little more settled.
So next year will be their 3rd year playing together as key forwards.
Neither play the usual KPF style and must be hard for opposition Coaches to match up on. Especially with Charlie and other smalls lurking in forward line.
On course we did score more points than any other team in 2019 H& A season so not sure we change much.
Barring injuries i see both playing round 1 with some possible changes to our small forwards.

Definatley think he has to improve on his consistency throughout a game and have more impact considering he will be in his 7th year at the club. There are times where he just simply goes missing. I agree he is effective in aerial contests but as a key forward he just doesnt get to enough contests. I also dont think its unreasonable to expect a Key Forward to kick a minimum of 30 goals a season as Full Forward in my opinion and he hasn't got close to that yet.
I suppose everyone has an opinion on McStay so I may as well add mine. I just think he lacks the talent to be a gun and is what he is now. He tries hard ,is reasonably disciplined and does team things ,what you'd expect of a cog in the wheel . But anyone thinking he'll go out and kick 4 or 5 is completely overestimating his ability.

He's a good honest player ,that's it. The kicking in front of goal thing is just talent related in my view. Gun players rarely miss simple shots. Guys who struggle to be at a consistently high level are also a bit unreliable at skill execution.

He's the sort of player you would have always thrown into the backline where his strength and straight ahead style , plus his long field kicking would be an asset. But he's all we have forward for the present . He's earnt his 3 year contract by doing what they coaches ask and keeping himself fit strong and healthy. And has made the most of his ability.

I suppose everyone has an opinion on McStay so I may as well add mine. I just think he lacks the talent to be a gun and is what he is now. He tries hard ,is reasonably disciplined and does team things ,what you'd expect of a cog in the wheel . But anyone thinking he'll go out and kick 4 or 5 is completely overestimating his ability.

He's a good honest player ,that's it. The kicking in front of goal thing is just talent related in my view. Gun players rarely miss simple shots. Guys who struggle to be at a consistently high level are also a bit unreliable at skill execution.

He's the sort of player you would have always thrown into the backline where his strength and straight ahead style , plus his long field kicking would be an asset. But he's all we have forward for the present . He's earnt his 3 year contract by doing what they coaches ask and keeping himself fit strong and healthy. And has made the most of his ability.

He has kicked four in a game before ;)

I tend to agree, but think his ceiling is 30-40 goals a year, pack breaking forward providing a target and playing his role well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30-40 goals a season from Dan would be awesome.

Agreed. I see that as being his max. Realistically he had 37 shots at goal and a bunch of complete misses in 2019, so the step up to 30 in a season isn't all that far now that he's edging towards the peak of his career. Anything higher than 30 is a bonus really, especially when you consider Hipwood, Cameron, Rayner etc will all be improving too.

I was just thinking if Rayner spends some more time in the midfield this year it may allow us to contemplate stationing CEY at FF this year at times too

I was just thinking if Rayner spends some more time in the midfield this year it may allow us to contemplate stationing CEY at FF this year at times too
My intel is that CEY was specifically recruited to look after our smaller mids who are copping a battering in most games. If Dan is going to be one of our ongoing key forwars, he simply needs to impact the game more.

My intel is that CEY was specifically recruited to look after our smaller mids who are copping a battering in most games. If Dan is going to be one of our ongoing key forwars, he simply needs to impact the game more.
Also think that CEY was brought in to play against the Cripps players who we tried to ta but had noone who was able to do a good job. CEY is physically big and stron enough to curtail him

30-40 goals a season from Dan would be awesome.
Individually for Dan that would be a nice improvement.
However i don't think our 2020 season will be judged on our 2 key forwards assuming they play together.
It will be about how many goals we kick as a team just like 2019.
Hopefully 2020 will be a bit like 2019 with improvement across the entire team needed to establish the Lions as a genuine top 6 side.
More avenues to goal is hard to combat for opposing coaches.

Unless Hipwood's game style changes i can't see him kicking 50 + goals next year but hope he does.
Hipwood's goals since debut.......... : 11,30,37,35
McStay as a KPF (2015,2018,2019) : 19,22,21

For sure, I'm just suggesting it as an idea as an Adelaide poster suggested he showed a bit during his time at Adelaide at FF. I checked and this is not evident at all in his stats, but I wonder if he has that potential whether we might see him there at times against certain teams. Otherwise naturally my thoughts echo that McStay needs to take more marks and convert more opportunities. Fingers crossed we see him having his best year For us this year. If we use Adams up fwd at all again he too has room for development and hope to see him share the load in getting balls to ground and outmuscling opponents

Individually for Dan that would be a nice improvement.
However i don't think our 2020 season will be judged on our 2 key forwards assuming they play together.
It will be about how many goals we kick as a team just like 2019.
Hopefully 2020 will be a bit like 2019 with improvement across the entire team needed to establish the Lions as a genuine top 6 side.
More avenues to goal is hard to combat for opposing coaches.

Unless Hipwood's game style changes i can't see him kicking 50 + goals next year but hope he does.
Hipwood's goals since debut.......... : 11,30,37,35
McStay as a KPF (2015,2018,2019) : 19,22,21
Just on Eric Hipwood - A couple of years ago he kicked 30 goals 16 behinds
This year he kicked 35 goals 29.
If he could get his accuracy back from 2017 he could easily kick 45 this year.

Just on Eric Hipwood - A couple of years ago he kicked 30 goals 16 behinds
This year he kicked 35 goals 29.
If he could get his accuracy back from 2017 he could easily kick 45 this year.
Yes i agree he could get to 45 +. Of course their would have been some out of bounds on the full to add to the 29 behinds.

Curious who your intel is, because that was said publicly by the club in a few interviews. No need for intel there.

Also think that CEY was brought in to play against the Cripps players who we tried to ta but had noone who was able to do a good job. CEY is physically big and stron enough to curtail him
Yeah, mentioned that on the Adelaide board, and let’s just say the response was less than positive.

Doesn’t appear CEY has ever shut Cripps down, or curbed his influence. But neither does it appear that he’s played a hard tag on Cripps, even though he has lined up on him.

As you say briztoon, he could line up on the likes of Cripps but I would be surprised if CEY was used much in a tagging or run with role. He will have to be accountable like everyone else, but his real value will be in using his bigger body to win clearances and hard ball gets and helping to spread the workload of Neale, Zorko, Lyons and Berry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back