M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Based on probable trade ins. eg. CEY, Ah Chee and likely improvement from younger players eg. Cedric Cox, Jack Payne.

Alex Witherden, Harris Andrews, Marcus Adams.
Daniel Rich, Darcy Gardiner, Noah Answerth.

Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage.
Jarrod Berry, Jarryd Lyons, Mitch Robinson.

Cam Rayner, Daniel McStay, Lincoln McCarthy.
Dayne Zorko, Eric Hipwwod, Charlie Cameron.

Zac Bailey, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Cedric Cox, Callum Ah Chee.

IMO the Big O was lucky to stay in the side during the latter part of the season, dropped off quite a lot and I would also like to see how we go with the one ruck option and a smaller quicker forward line hence Zorko named forward and staying there more often with stints through the midfield.

Of the younger guys who have played none or very little senior footy, the ones I saw in the NEAFL this season who I think showed glimpses/traits of being able to transfer their weapons to AFL level are Toby Wooller, Tom Berry, Jack Payne and Brandon Starcevich.

I think these 4 can place good pressure on for a senior spot.

Of the younger guys who have played none or very little senior footy, the ones I saw in the NEAFL this season who I think showed glimpses/traits of being able to transfer their weapons to AFL level are Toby Wooller, Tom Berry, Jack Payne and Brandon Starcevich.

Imo with Oscar - I think it is his mobility that will make it hard for him as time goes on.
It would be nice if someone like Ballenden or Fullerton come on to be able to compete more in the forward line and chop out in the ruck.
I wonder if it is a position that Payne would be able to play as well?

Cant see how Cox will be best 22 next season. Long way off. Has all the tools but lacks physicality
I liked what I saw of him when he came back from his mid season family leave, looked more competitive/intense to me, get a big pre season into him and I think he could slot straight in, he'll probably always be a bit laconic looking but some players are like that eg. Darryl White/Jared Brennan. Lets hope Cedric is more in the White than Brennan mold.

Wooller is an interesting one. He has grown since being drafted - now listed at 195cm which surprised me. That should mean he can play third tall at least. Not sure he has the mobility for on-ball/wing nor the size to go key forward or ruck relief. Didn't probably come on this year as predicted, particularly given he had a full preseason and an uninterrupted year. Big year coming up.

I think Cedric Cox, Brandon Starcevich, Jack Payne and Ely Smith will all be pushing hard for senior footy next season. Cox will aim for Bundy's spot, Starc will aim for Hodgey's, Payne will look to displace Adams and Ely Smith will look to propel himself into our first choice midfield depth player in case of injury to guys like Lyons, Berry and Robinson. With the additions of CEY and Ah Chee as well I think we're going to have some nice depth next year and competition for spots will be fierce.

I think Cedric Cox, Brandon Starcevich, Jack Payne and Ely Smith will all be pushing hard for senior footy next season. Cox will aim for Bundy's spot, Starc will aim for Hodgey's, Payne will look to displace Adams and Ely Smith will look to propel himself into our first choice midfield depth player in case of injury to guys like Lyons, Berry and Robinson. With the additions of CEY and Ah Chee as well I think we're going to have some nice depth next year and competition for spots will be fierce.
Agree with all this, great post. And I don't think Wooler and Skinner are not far away either.

Don't be surprised if Callum Ah Chee is a real game breaker for us next year either. He's supremely talented, athletic and has some real weapons which Fagan will hone in on with his mantra of focussing on players strength's. Unsure whether he'll play as a half forward or half back but I think he'll slot in nicely as a talented flanker at either end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all this, great post. And I don't think Wooler and Skinner are not far away either.
Yeah I thought about guys like Wooller, Skinner and even Tom Berry as likely candidates to press their claim for spots next year. It is probably getting close to do or die for Wooller and Skinner by the end of next year as well which will have them as hungry as ever you'd think. I just think Cox, Payne, Starcevich and Smith are our most talented young players yet to establish themselves in the senior side. They may not have performed as strongly as others e.g. Lyons and Hinge have outperformed Starc and Smith at NEAFL level but the glimpses of talent I've seen from Cox, Payne, Starcevich and Smith at NEAFL level(And in the senior's as well in the case of Cox and Starc) tells me that with a big pre season, they can really climb up into best 22 talks.

:thumbsu:
I have Cedric, CEY and Ah Chee in my round 1 2020 team, of the others you mentioned I think they could put pressure on the following players in my round 1 team-

Payne > Adams.
E.Smith > Ellis-Yolmen, Rayner, Lyons.
Starcevich > Bailey, Cox, Ah Chee.

+
Wooller > Rayner, McCarthy.
T.Berry > McCarthy, Rayner, Cox, Ah Chee, Bailey.

2019 we finished 2nd on the back of consistently elite backline and midfield units. Having 2 of 3 units firing consistently wins you matches throughout the year. But it doesn't win you finals.

It was our forwardline which was the weak link, and where the improvement needs to come from for us to push to the top again. Yes, a further improvement up the ground will help with forward entries, but bombing it long is also systemic of bad forward movement, no confidence in key position targets and a lack offensive defending.

This years game plan was to bring it to ground for Cameron and McCarthy and Zorko, and we were especially exposed when Cameron was well held. He is an amazing player, but that type of small forward just doesn't fire every single week.

McCarthy will be better for the year, but he has to hit the scoreboard consistently for this plan to work. So too Rayner, but is he a leading fwd, a crumbing fwd, or will he push up the ground?

We didn't see the progression we were hoping for in any of the talls, and we were exposed. Hipwood is younger, and far more mobile than McStay/Big O, so i believe we can be confident another preseason into him will elevate his game into the hard running, marking high CHF we need.

But how do we get improvement out of McStay or Big O? Neither are going to get any fitter or any bigger. Both know how to clunk it, but unless they are getting a free run at it they rarely do. And in McStay's case, his goal kicking is truly woeful. It's mental, which is the hardest to fix. Big O at least is a good second ruck option. So their improvement will come from playing smarter, and from those around them - small forwards clearing space, and the talls stopping intercept marking and third man spoils.

Therefore, I really hope we give the young guys like Skinner, Payne, Ballenden and Fullerton, and Wooller, Berry, Keays etc the chance to prove themselves. Another year of McStay and Big O, and Rayner and McCarthy, without any pressure from below will be completely detrimental to our growth. In Fagan we trust, but he showed great reluctance to make changes this year.

2019 we finished 2nd on the back of consistently elite backline and midfield units. Having 2 of 3 units firing consistently wins you matches throughout the year. But it doesn't win you finals.

It was our forwardline which was the weak link, and where the improvement needs to come from for us to push to the top again. Yes, a further improvement up the ground will help with forward entries, but bombing it long is also systemic of bad forward movement, no confidence in key position targets and a lack offensive defending.

This years game plan was to bring it to ground for Cameron and McCarthy and Zorko, and we were especially exposed when Cameron was well held. He is an amazing player, but that type of small forward just doesn't fire every single week.

McCarthy will be better for the year, but he has to hit the scoreboard consistently for this plan to work. So too Rayner, but is he a leading fwd, a crumbing fwd, or will he push up the ground?

We didn't see the progression we were hoping for in any of the talls, and we were exposed. Hipwood is younger, and far more mobile than McStay/Big O, so i believe we can be confident another preseason into him will elevate his game into the hard running, marking high CHF we need.

But how do we get improvement out of McStay or Big O? Neither are going to get any fitter or any bigger. Both know how to clunk it, but unless they are getting a free run at it they rarely do. And in McStay's case, his goal kicking is truly woeful. It's mental, which is the hardest to fix. Big O at least is a good second ruck option. So their improvement will come from playing smarter, and from those around them - small forwards clearing space, and the talls stopping intercept marking and third man spoils.

Therefore, I really hope we give the young guys like Skinner, Payne, Ballenden and Fullerton, and Wooller, Berry, Keays etc the chance to prove themselves. Another year of McStay and Big O, and Rayner and McCarthy, without any pressure from below will be completely detrimental to our growth. In Fagan we trust, but he showed great reluctance to make changes this year.

Good thought process. What do you make of us being the top scoring team in the competition this year though.

Wooller is an interesting one. He has grown since being drafted - now listed at 195cm which surprised me. That should mean he can play third tall at least. Not sure he has the mobility for on-ball/wing nor the size to go key forward or ruck relief. Didn't probably come on this year as predicted, particularly given he had a full preseason and an uninterrupted year. Big year coming up.
At that height and his ability to run up the ground he must be putting pressure on McStay and Big O. Neither finished the year in great form but were very important for our structure. That would be something Wooler could change up with leading up the wings. It sounds like he is too tall to replace Rayner as that hybrid size forward

Add to that Skinner will be looking to displace Dan McStay. Add to that Tom Berry pushing hard as well the team could look a little different by mid season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Good thought process. What do you make of us being the top scoring team in the competition this year though.
Were we the top scoring forwardline, or the top scoring team? I'd love to know % of our goals kicked by our forwards vs our mids.

We weren't the top scoring team in the finals, which is what counts - I guess my point was that our 2019 forwardline and game style did not and will not hold up in finals footy, and therefor in the context of this thread i'm hoping to see some chances given

Last edited:
Were we the top scoring forwardline, or the top scoring team? I'd love to know % of our goals kicked by our forwards vs our mids.

We weren't the top scoring team in the finals, which is what counts - I guess my point was that our 2019 forwardline and game style did not and will not hold up in finals footy, and therefor in the context of this thread i'm hoping to see some chances given

Do NEAFL level players tend to dominate in big finals games?

Do NEAFL level players tend to dominate in big finals games?
Absurd question and I don't know how it helps understand anything. The point is if Fagan learns to swing the axe a bit more during the season, we could have opportunities for NEAFL players to step up and carve out a role in the side. McStay, Rayner and McCarthy all went through patches of terrible form where they could have been dropped to blood someone else who could have developed enough to take their place permanently. McCarthy in particular carried poor form into the finals.

Losing hodge, basti, cutler, n robbo, lester, skinner, hinge, eagles
In- elliot, CEY, ah chee, birchall and draftees

Witherden, Andrews, Gardiner
Answerth, Adams, Rich

Mcluggage, Zorko, Robinson
Martin, Neale, Lyons

Rayner, Hipwood, McCarthy
Elliot, McStay, Cameron

Big O, Berry, Bundy, Ah Chee

Depth- birchall, walker, archie smith
CEY, matho, c lyons
Taylor, bailey, keays, cox
Expecting payne, starcevich, to step up and push to become reliable depth at least.
Another development year for t berry, smith, joyce, mcfadyen and the irish lad. And i hope the young fwds, fullarton, wooller, ballenden can bulk up a bit in the off season to hold their ground in the contest and improve to the point where they will be pushing at mcstays spot by the end of the year.

I havent factored in a brodie smith type inclusion, not sure we will pick up an A grade defender this year. I do see a lot of natural improvement within the squad and see our selective drafting over the last few years continue to pay off.

I think a very good best 22, 8 -10 good reliable depth players and some quality talent coming thru. A quality squad capable of keeping us in the top 6 but not quite there to take the prize. I think we need another quality sm/med defender and a genuine tall fwd kicking goals to go all the way. These holes could yet be filled this year thru trade or next year by inhouse development but however we finish up, next season will be exciting. Cant wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back