Prediction Our side round 1, 2020...?

Remove this Banner Ad

My updated team with Grant Birchall now a Lion-

In- Grant Birchall.

Out- Cedric Cox.

Grant Birchall, Harris Andrews, Marcus Adams.
Daniel Rich, Darcy Gardiner, Noah Answerth.

Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage.
Jarrod Berry, Jarryd Lyons, Mitch Robinson.

Cam Rayner, Daniel McStay, Lincoln McCarthy.
Dayne Zorko, Eric Hipwwod, Charlie Cameron.

Zac Bailey, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Alex Witherden, Callum Ah Chee.

CEY, Ah Chee & Birchall would all see themselves as being part of our best 22. Berry & Smith are two that would also be thinking with a big pre-season they will get their first game sooner rather than later. Once again, (as long as we have a good run with injury) we will have plenty of players running around in the reserves that will be in good form.

Lots of talent in the NEAFL that could come on. People forget Cox/Starc missed most of last season.
Another preseason you also have Joyce and maybe Coleman coming through with T Berry and Smith.
Talls Payne, Ballenden, Skinner & Fullarton have another pre season as well.
Although who goes out for them. I like them to bang on the DOOR super loud.
So we feel confident to drop players out of form.

Don't be surprised if Callum Ah Chee is a real game breaker for us next year either. He's supremely talented, athletic and has some real weapons which Fagan will hone in on with his mantra of focussing on players strength's. Unsure whether he'll play as a half forward or half back but I think he'll slot in nicely as a talented flanker at either end.
My mate coached him in athletics back in WA during his high school days said he was a weapon . Supurb athlete

In- Grant Birchall.

Out- Cedric Cox.

Good Lord, that's a damn good team. You even have really solid depth if a few of them can't get on the park too. Pretty exciting season ahead hopefully with the likes of Berry, McCluggage, Rayner and Bailey to hopefully continue their steady improvement. Planning on investing in a membership given my partner lives just down the road from the Gabba, and looks like this might be an even more exciting side to watch than they were this season. :thumbsu:

Based on probable trade ins. eg. CEY, Ah Chee and likely improvement from younger players eg. Cedric Cox, Jack Payne.

Alex Witherden, Harris Andrews, Marcus Adams.

Zac Bailey, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Cedric Cox, Callum Ah Chee.

IMO the Big O was lucky to stay in the side during the latter part of the season, dropped off quite a lot and I would also like to see how we go with the one ruck option and a smaller quicker forward line hence Zorko named forward and staying there more often with stints through the midfield.

Dodongo makes one change. Birchall in for Cox and in the backline with Answerth on the bench.

If Birchall is fit round one, he plays. We didn't recruit him to sit in the NEAFL.

Edit: Dodongo didn' t realise this was before the Birchall aquisition. Very strong team.

In- Grant Birchall.

Out- Cedric Cox.

So from our best 22 in 2019 you've essentially made the following changes-

In: Birchall CEY Ah Chee
Out: Hodge O-Mac Bundy

Leaves room for guys like McInerney, Starcevich, Cox, Payne, Skinner, C.Lyons, Hinge, T.Berry and E.Smith to really push for spots and put pressure on the best 22.

In- Grant Birchall.

Out- Cedric Cox.

Good list. I'd sub in Bundy / Cox for Ah Chee, as well as O-mac for Birchall at least for the first few rounds - given the injury history those two have had the last few years I suspect we'll want to run them in the NEAFL to start with so they can get their reps in in a lower consequence environment.

Going to be a lot of competition for list spots this coming year

I don't think Birchall will be best 22. Wouldn't be surprised if CEY plays a lot of 2s as well. We should include Ah Chee when fully fit and persist.

I don't think Birchall will be best 22. Wouldn't be surprised if CEY plays a lot of 2s as well. We should include Ah Chee when fully fit and persist.

Reckon you're probably right about CEY. I reckon we'll probably run him maybe 14 games, bring him in when we need some more crash and bash in the mid-field. Going to be nice having that list flexibility!

Age at 31/12/2019

B: Darcy Gardiner (24, 106, 24) Harris Andrews (23, 97, 21) Noah Answerth (20, 19, 19)
HB: Alex Witherden (21, 53, 23) Marcus Adams (26, 37, 10) Daniel Rich (29, 207, 24)

R: Stefan Martin (33, 182, 24) Jarryd Lyons (27, 116, 24) Dayne Zorko (30, 168, 24)
C: Mitch Robinson (30, 191, 23) Lachie Neale (26, 159, 24) Hugh McCluggage (21, 63, 23)

HF: Cam Rayner (20, 46, 24) Daniel McStay (24, 103, 24) Allen Christensen (28, 133, 13)
F: Charlie Cameron (25, 108, 24) Eric Hipwood (22, 75, 23) Lincoln McCarthy (26, 53, 24)

I: Grant Birchall (31, 248, 3) Cam Ellis-Yolmen (26, 39, 10) Jarrod Berry (21, 57, 20) Oscar McInerney (25, 37, 21)

Wanted to add Ah Chee but not sure if he’ll play forward or back. Rate Ellis-Yolmen so I’d give him first crack, the balance needs to be right though and if it doesn’t quite fit with CEY joining the main three then he’s probably out for Bailey and might only play if Neale or Lyons miss.

This is the team I’d go with

B: Answerth Andrews Adams
HB: Witherden Gardiner Rich
C: McCluggage Neale Robinson
HF: McCarthy Hipwood Rayner
F: Cameron McStay Christensen
Ruck: Martin Lyons Zorko
Bench: McInerney, Ah Chee, Berry, Bailey

I think Birchall might compete Adams spot as more of a third tall which will allow Ah Chee to play half back. Gardiner and Andrews to play on the dangerous talls.

CEY probably replaces Bundy and Zorko spends more time forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok my turn not too much different then some above

B: Answerth Andrews Gardiner
HB: Rich Adams Birchall
C: McCluggage Neale Robinson
HF: McCarthy Hipwood Ellis Yolmen
F: Cameron McStay Rayner
Ruck: Martin Lyons Zorko
Bench: Ah Chee, Berry, 2 of McInerney/Witherden/Bailey/Bundy

Adding in CEY, Birchall and Ah Chee if fit we seem to play those we traded in as we looked at them as 22.
So who are they replacing is the game. Hard to fit all in with 2 rucks so be interesting who misses out.

Dodongo disagrees. We didn't bring in Birchall for him to sit in the NEAFL. If he is fit, he is best 22. Fagan will make a place for him, similar to how he made a place for Rayner. His experience in the backline is going to be needed, particularly for the bigger games. Dodongo thinks he will be given a specific role. But Birchall will deserve his spot. People will be surprised at him next year.

Ah Chee says he is free of any injury concerns for the start of pre-season and has already been doing some fitness work so he should be cherry-ripe and if his body holds up he would be a certainty to make the round 1 team. Very surprised if CEY and Birch aren't in the same boat. You don't trade for depth.

in the last few years we do not trade for depth. We trade for what we need in 22.
Hence you think the 3 new guys all get a spot, the question is who misses out? Hodge retired. 2 other spots up.
Then you hope we have other players pressure a lot more this year and we would drop someone if they having a rough patch

Whatever team people settle on, one thing needs to be sorted and that is McStay is a roaming half forward. Hipwood leading deep from the forward line. Hippy is capable of kicking bags when on. McStay is the kick down the line contested mark type player who kicks a goal a game.

Strong round 1 team from BRISBANE.
I hope we are speaking to some of your young guys who will remain on the outside looking in.

Strong round 1 team from BRISBANE.
I hope we are speaking to some of your young guys who will remain on the outside looking in.

You mean the young guys who will be in the team within 2-3 years as our older players start to drop out and retire? I think they'll pass on those speaking engagements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back