Prediction Our side round 1, 2020...?

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our depth is the best it has been in a long time. Even though it was only the NEAFL we did go through the season undefeated and there are 3 other AFL teams playing in that competition.

We lost a few of the experienced depth guys but we got a few come in as well in the trade period. We also have the opportunity to take Coleman who has had a year with the side and I felt was comfortably would have been picked in the AFL side early in the year (when he was playing forward) if he had been eligible.

We did have a very good run with injuries this year but it did mean that it allowed us to get a full year into our youngsters and many of them showed a fair bit. Our back depth is as good as any in the competition. Midfield there are some young guys who showed a bit and will get an opportunity this year. Ruck is solid if Smith comes back. Up forward I like our smalls depth. If Hipwood went down we would struggle but there are a few midsized targets who would change the dynamic. All up I think our depth is pretty good.

I remember these a few years ago and it peoples teams would have... Pick 9, Pick 24, Pick 37 starting on the field or on the bench hahahaha - my how times have changed.

Yeah, those small-medium defender roles are going to be hotly contested. Witho and Rich are probably locks. That leaves room for two more and the potential list includes Birchall, Answerth, Ah Chee, Lester, Hinge, Allison, Starcevich, Bailey, let alone the 2019 draftees.

Yeah, those small-medium defender roles are going to be hotly contested. Witho and Rich are probably locks. That leaves room for two more and the potential list includes Birchall, Answerth, Ah Chee, Lester, Hinge, Allison, Starcevich, Bailey, let alone the 2019 draftees.
What’s great about that list, is that every single one of them can move further up the ground.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Witherden Andrews Gardiner
Answerth Adams Rich
Clugga Lyons Robbo
Zorko McStay McCarthy
Rayner Hipwood Cameron

Martin Neale Berry

OMac Ah Chee ESmith Bailey

Ah Chee and Bailey provide some flexibility on the flanks / wings with Bailey a chance to attend a few centre bounces.

Obviously a fully fit and firing Birchall and CEY will put the pressure on a couple of the younger boys, but I'm bullish on E Smith. I think he can add to our midfield as a different sort of player than we had last year. A similar size to JBerry but more inside. Alows Berry to play a very balanced midfield role. We got Matho in a few times to do a little of the heavy lifting and it's also why we grabbed CEY. But I think Elli can be better.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B Answerth Andrews Gardiner
HB Rich Adams Witherden
C McCluggage Lyons Robinson
HF Zorko Hipwood McCarthy
F Cameron McStay Rayner
R Martin Neale Berry
I Ah Chee E.Smith McInerney Bailey

Depth: Bundy, Lester, CEY, Birchall, Mathieson, Cox, Starcevich, Payne, Robertson, Wooller, Ballenden, C.Lyons, Hinge, Joyce, T.Berry, B.Smith, Coleman, Skinner, McFadyen, Prior, A.Smith, Fullarton, Eagles, Madden.

The only changes from our semi final side v GWS are-
In: Robinson Ah Chee, E.Smith
Out: Hodge, Bundy, N.Robertson

May seem somewhat controversial to leave out trade ins Birchall and CEY but I'm going to back Answerth and E.Smith in over them to start with. I could also see Payne replacing Adams and Cox replacing McCarthy. Deven Robertson and Brandon Starcevich will push for early selection as well.

Bundy, CEY, Birchall, Cox, Starecvich, Payne and Robertson will all be well in the frame for Round 1 meaning the coaches will have to pick the best 22 from a group of 29-30 players with that 30th player likely to be one of Lester/Hinge/T.Berry/Wooller in my opinion, as guys who could push themselves into the top 30 frame on the depth chart.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B Answerth Andrews Gardiner
HB Rich Adams Witherden
C McCluggage Lyons Robinson
HF Zorko Hipwood McCarthy
F Cameron McStay Rayner
R Martin Neale Berry
I Ah Chee E.Smith McInerney Bailey

Depth: Bundy, Lester, CEY, Birchall, Mathieson, Cox, Starcevich, Payne, Robertson, Wooller, Ballenden, C.Lyons, Hinge, Joyce, T.Berry, B.Smith, Coleman, Skinner, McFadyen, Prior, A.Smith, Fullarton, Eagles, Madden.

The only changes from our semi final side v GWS are-
In: Robinson Ah Chee, E.Smith
Out: Hodge, Bundy, N.Robertson

May seem somewhat controversial to leave out trade ins Birchall and CEY but I'm going to back Answerth and E.Smith in over them to start with. I could also see Payne replacing Adams and Cox replacing McCarthy. Deven Robertson and Brandon Starcevich will push for early selection as well.

Bundy, CEY, Birchall, Cox, Starecvich, Payne and Robertson will all be well in the frame for Round 1 meaning the coaches will have to pick the best 22 from a group of 29-30 players with that 30th player likely to be one of Lester/Hinge/T.Berry/Wooller in my opinion, as guys who could push themselves into the top 30 frame on the depth chart.

I'm calling my lawyer. You can't just reshuffle my team and call it your own mate.......;)

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yep, I hate to single out the younger lads but Bailey and Answerth looked buggered by the time we made finals. They were not alone mind you but those younger bodies showed the fatigue of a long, hard season.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Witherden definitely NOT a lock for me. Needs to step up and get the harder ball rather than looking for the easy stat. No doubt has the ability at the highest level with his elite kick but needs more to his game now.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My 2020 season 1 side:

FB: Noah Answerth, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner
HB: Daniel Rich, Marcus Adams, Alex Witherden
C: Mitch Robinson, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage
HF: Dayne Zorko, Eric Hipwood, Charlie Cameron
FF: Lincoln McCarthy, Dan McStay, Cam Rayner
Ruck: Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry
Int: Zac Bailey, Callum Ah Chee, Grant Birchall, Eli Smith

Reasons: Reckon Smith will have a bit of breakout pre-season. If he isn't selected then it will be CEY.
Not a fan of the 2 ruckset up personally.
If Bailey loses form orisn't in the lineup then i wouldn't mind having Robertson or Coleman in.
Adams will start in the lineup but will lose his spot when Payne is ready.

FB: Answorh Andrews Gardiner
HB: Birchall Adams Witherden
C: Robinson Lyons McCluggage
R: Martin Ellis-Yolmen Neale
HF: Zorko Hipwood Ah Chee
FF: Rayner McStay Cameron
Int: Lyons Rich Berry Mcinerney

Basing my round one off my Hawks round 1 prediction. I think we'll need two rucks so Oscar is in. Gut feel is someone unexpected will be left out and predict that to be one of Lyons, Bailey or McCarthy. Have kept Lyons as we'll need to beat the Hawks in clearances round 1 if we are to win. They're incredibly well drilled and perform well round 1 so need to bully them off the ball and allow Zorko, Ah Chee, Rayner, Cameron and Clugg cut them up on the outside.

We've got so much genuine depth now, it's brilliant. Nobody is safe if they don't perform.

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Answorth Andrews Gardiner
Ah chee Adams. Rich
Luggage Berry. Robinson
McCarthy hipwood rayner
Cameron. Mcstay zorko

Martin ,j Lyons , Neale
Birchyl , Bailey, CEY , big o

I think Witherdon misses out if Ah chee is up and going as he provides way more speed and drive from the back half . You do not need Witherdon if you have rich and birchyl distributing the ball IMO .

CEY if fit will play as a shield for the outside silk or Zorko and luggage.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: Answerth Andrews Birchall
HB: Witherden Gardiner Rich
C: Robinson Lyons Berry
HF: Rayner Hipwood Zorko
FF: McInerney McStay Cameron
Ruck: Martin Neale McCluggage
Bench: CEY, Bailey, Ah Chee, Coleman

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Not a 2020 best 22. Just looking at a potential young best 22.

Witherden Payne B.Smith
Cox Andrews Answerth

Bailey J.Berry McCluggage
McInerney E.Smith Robertson

Ah Chee Hipwood Rayner
Coleman Wooller Cameron

Mathieson Starcevich Joyce T.Berry

Just from my perspective, positions we’re light on are genuine outside mids or wingers, small forwards, tall forwards and ruck.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not a 2020 best 22. Just looking at a potential young best 22.

Witherden Payne B.Smith
Cox Andrews Answerth

Bailey J.Berry McCluggage
McInerney E.Smith Robertson

Ah Chee Hipwood Rayner
Coleman Wooller Cameron

Mathieson Starcevich Joyce T.Berry

Just from my perspective, positions we’re light on are genuine outside mids or wingers, small forwards, tall forwards and ruck.
Depending on what your definition of "young" is, then Big O probably shouldn't be in there as he will be 26 next season. Probably Ballendenand maybe Fullarton could share duties if you find spots for them.
However, it is a really nice looking team for "young" players. Definitly have good depth even if it is unproven

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FB: Answorh Andrews Gardiner
HB: Birchall Adams Witherden
C: Robinson Lyons McCluggage
R: Martin Ellis-Yolmen Neale
HF: Zorko Hipwood Ah Chee
FF: Rayner McStay Cameron
Int: Lyons Rich Berry Mcinerney

Basing my round one off my Hawks round 1 prediction. I think we'll need two rucks so Oscar is in. Gut feel is someone unexpected will be left out and predict that to be one of Lyons, Bailey or McCarthy. Have kept Lyons as we'll need to beat the Hawks in clearances round 1 if we are to win. They're incredibly well drilled and perform well round 1 so need to bully them off the ball and allow Zorko, Ah Chee, Rayner, Cameron and Clugg cut them up on the outside.

We've got so much genuine depth now, it's brilliant. Nobody is safe if they don't perform.

Reckon you're right that someone unexpected will be left out but it won't be Lyons surely. He was arguably our best player in the second half of the season (arguably! Arguably!)

Reckon you're right that someone unexpected will be left out but it won't be Lyons surely. He was arguably our best player in the second half of the season (arguably! Arguably!)

Little to no chance it'll be Lyons.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I see these few as possible unexpected outs for early in the season- Alex Witherden, Macus Adams, Zac Bailey, Lincoln McCarthy.

Absolute locks IMO(13 players)- Stef Martin, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson, Daniel Rich, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale, Charlie Cameron, Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Eric Hipwwod, Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Noah Answerth.

Players I see as probable inclusions are- Daniel McStay, Callum Ah Chee, Grant Birchall, Cam Rayner.

So I think maybe 4-5 spots are up for grabs depending on training and JLT form.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Being round 1 @ MCG v Hawks i hope we go with an experienced team. So only players with say 15+ AFL games.
Round two v North at the Gabba for any players pushing for selection to get a run.
All of the teams posted here would be very competitive. None of us will get it right but fun to have a go this early.

FB: Birchall, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Adams, Witherden

C: McCluggage, Neale, Robinson
R: Martin, Lyons, CEY

HF: Berry, Hipwood, Zorko
FF: Cameron, McStay, Rayner

IC: McInerney, Answorth, Christensen, Ah Chee

So from last game v GWS
In: Robinson, Birchall, CEY, Ah Chee
Out: Hodge, Robertson, McCarthy, Bailey

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Being round 1 @ MCG v Hawks i hope we go with an experienced team. So only players with say 15+ AFL games.
Round two v North at the Gabba for any players pushing for selection to get a run.
All of the teams posted here would be very competitive. None of us will get it right but fun to have a go this early.

FB: Birchall, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Adams, Witherden

C: McCluggage, Neale, Robinson
R: Martin, Lyons, CEY

HF: Berry, Hipwood, Zorko
FF: Cameron, McStay, Rayner

IC: McInerney, Answorth, Christensen, Ah Chee

So from last game v GWS
In: Robinson, Birchall, CEY, Ah Chee
Out: Hodge, Robertson, McCarthy, Bailey

Think your left of field prediction that linc gets some seconds time is probably a good one after reflecting it. If he can maintain the early season form from last year hell be as safe as houses, but if he has the same poorer form he did towards the end of the year and some of our youngsters continue developing he may start looking more like a Sydney apartment block...

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think your left of field prediction that linc gets some seconds time is probably a good one after reflecting it. If he can maintain the early season form from last year after he gets another preseason in him hell be as safe as houses, but if he maintains the same decline in form he did towards the end of the year and some of our youngsters continue developing he may start looking more like a Sydney apartment block...
I suppose it is hard to see Linc missing round 1 as he played 24 games last year. I just thought he and Bailey had a very up and down year.
Out of the two, Bailey is more likely to struggle for a regular spot. Having said that he could be one that has that breakout 3rd year that players in the comp regularly do. Just great to see players will have to fight for their spot.

We are still a young team. With all team lists all but finalised the Suns have the youngest list at 23.4 yrs then three on 23.6 years Sydney, Freemantle & Lions.
This list includes all our new players so i assume it has every club up to date for now.

ClubSenior ListRookiesAverage AgeAge RankAverage GamesGames RankAverage GoalsGoals RankAverage VotesVotes Rank
Adelaide38 players5 (+0 cat B)24.0 years13th59.2 games13th32.1 goals14th9.3 votes9th
Brisbane40 players4 (+2 cat B)23.6 years15th56.2 games15th30.8 goals15th7.2 votes16th
Carlton39 players5 (+1 cat B)23.8 years14th64.3 games9th42.8 goals8th8.5 votes11th
Collingwood38 players4 (+3 cat B)25.0 years1st75.9 games4th49.6 goals4th14.3 votes2nd
Essendon39 players3 (+2 cat B)24.1 years11th60.0 games12th38.4 goals9th8.4 votes12th
Fremantle38 players6 (+1 cat B)23.6 years16th54.1 games17th33.8 goals11th9.2 votes10th
Geelong40 players4 (+2 cat B)24.7 years4th80.7 games1st62.7 goals1st21.7 votes1st
Gold Coast40 players7 (+3 cat B)23.4 years18th51.0 games18th20.0 goals18th3.2 votes18th
Greater Western Sydney38 players5 (+2 cat B)24.7 years5th68.9 games6th33.2 goals12th9.8 votes8th
Hawthorn38 players5 (+1 cat B)24.8 years3rd80.3 games2nd57.2 goals2nd10.6 votes7th
Melbourne38 players5 (+1 cat B)24.1 years10th60.6 games11th26.4 goals17th7.6 votes14th
North Melbourne40 players4 (+1 cat B)24.6 years6th67.4 games8th37.8 goals10th8.3 votes13th
Port Adelaide38 players6 (+1 cat B)24.0 years12th69.0 games5th45.3 goals7th12.2 votes4th
Richmond38 players5 (+1 cat B)24.1 years9th68.8 games7th49.5 goals5th12.9 votes3rd
St Kilda39 players5 (+1 cat B)24.4 years7th62.2 games10th29.2 goals16th6.4 votes17th
Sydney37 players6 (+2 cat B)23.6 years17th55.6 games16th48.6 goals6th11.3 votes6th
West Coast38 players5 (+0 cat B)24.9 years2nd78.9 games3rd54.0 goals3rd11.5 votes5th
Western Bulldogs40 players4 (+1 cat B)24.2 years8th59.0 games14th32.6 goals13th7.3 votes15th

Back