Prediction Our side round 1, 2020...?

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I suppose it is hard to see Linc missing round 1 as he played 24 games last year. I just thought he and Bailey had a very up and down year.
Out of the two, Bailey is more likely to struggle for a regular spot. Having said that he could be one that has that breakout 3rd year that players in the comp regularly do. Just great to see players will have to fight for their spot.

We are still a young team. With all team lists all but finalised the Suns have the youngest list at 23.4 yrs then three on 23.6 years Sydney, Freemantle & Lions.
This list includes all our new players so i assume it has every club up to date for now.

ClubSenior ListRookiesAverage AgeAge RankAverage GamesGames RankAverage GoalsGoals RankAverage VotesVotes Rank
Adelaide38 players5 (+0 cat B)24.0 years13th59.2 games13th32.1 goals14th9.3 votes9th
Brisbane40 players4 (+2 cat B)23.6 years15th56.2 games15th30.8 goals15th7.2 votes16th
Carlton39 players5 (+1 cat B)23.8 years14th64.3 games9th42.8 goals8th8.5 votes11th
Collingwood38 players4 (+3 cat B)25.0 years1st75.9 games4th49.6 goals4th14.3 votes2nd
Essendon39 players3 (+2 cat B)24.1 years11th60.0 games12th38.4 goals9th8.4 votes12th
Fremantle38 players6 (+1 cat B)23.6 years16th54.1 games17th33.8 goals11th9.2 votes10th
Geelong40 players4 (+2 cat B)24.7 years4th80.7 games1st62.7 goals1st21.7 votes1st
Gold Coast40 players7 (+3 cat B)23.4 years18th51.0 games18th20.0 goals18th3.2 votes18th
Greater Western Sydney38 players5 (+2 cat B)24.7 years5th68.9 games6th33.2 goals12th9.8 votes8th
Hawthorn38 players5 (+1 cat B)24.8 years3rd80.3 games2nd57.2 goals2nd10.6 votes7th
Melbourne38 players5 (+1 cat B)24.1 years10th60.6 games11th26.4 goals17th7.6 votes14th
North Melbourne40 players4 (+1 cat B)24.6 years6th67.4 games8th37.8 goals10th8.3 votes13th
Port Adelaide38 players6 (+1 cat B)24.0 years12th69.0 games5th45.3 goals7th12.2 votes4th
Richmond38 players5 (+1 cat B)24.1 years9th68.8 games7th49.5 goals5th12.9 votes3rd
St Kilda39 players5 (+1 cat B)24.4 years7th62.2 games10th29.2 goals16th6.4 votes17th
Sydney37 players6 (+2 cat B)23.6 years17th55.6 games16th48.6 goals6th11.3 votes6th
West Coast38 players5 (+0 cat B)24.9 years2nd78.9 games3rd54.0 goals3rd11.5 votes5th
Western Bulldogs40 players4 (+1 cat B)24.2 years8th59.0 games14th32.6 goals13th7.3 votes15th

Wow, freo are younger than the dogs? For some reason I had the impression the purple haze were an old list and that the bullies were fresher than a spring daisy. Shows how much media focus can drive perception

And to your point on bails, I reckon you're bang on. He really seems like he could become anything at this stage and the team and he are feeling out what works best. Really liked his drive in the last h&a against Richmond and in the finals even if the results were hit and miss, so I do feel he has it in him to be a long term player with us.lets hope he's one of the third year breakout types you mentioned

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The fact we traded in both Ah Chee and Birch means the back line is in for a shake up no matter what. Gardiner, Rich, Adams and Andrews are the locks for me. Think Witherden and Answorth will be under the most pressure to retain their 'best in roll' credentials. One thing though, Birch maybe eased into the year with a few planned spells to make sure he is ready to own another finals series. :cool:

Strato

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Witherden definitely NOT a lock for me. Needs to step up and get the harder ball rather than looking for the easy stat. No doubt has the ability at the highest level with his elite kick but needs more to his game now.
Has ability but has no speed.

That was demonstrated in the final goal by Daniels for GWS in our last final although I'm sure fatigue had a lot to do with it as well.
Very few would have run Daniels down. It was his positioning that let him down, not his pace. He will have learnt from that.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm moving McStay back, and bringing in Coleman to rotate at HB. Smith and CEY along with J Berry to be the best coverage for Zorko, Neale and J Lyons. I want to give more time to Adams up forward, as well as Zorko, and i want to see what Ah Chee can bring in as well as seeing Hipwood dominate FF this year. I debated whether to give a Guernsey to Robertson over J Lyons, and admit I am ignorant to what Skinner, Ballenden, Wooller might be able to do if they come in for McStay or Adams
B: Andrews Mcstay Birchall
HB: Gardiner Rich Answerth
C: Mccluggage CEY Robinson
HF: Rayner Adams Cameron
F: Hipwood Zorko Ah Chee
Foll: Martin Neale J Lyons
Int: J Berry Coleman Smith Mcinerney

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm moving McStay back, and bringing in Coleman to rotate at HB. Smith and CEY along with J Berry to be the best coverage for Zorko, Neale and J Lyons. I want to give more time to Adams up forward, as well as Zorko, and i want to see what Ah Chee can bring in as well as seeing Hipwood dominate FF this year. I debated whether to give a Guernsey to Robertson over J Lyons, and admit I am ignorant to what Skinner, Ballenden, Wooller might be able to do if they come in for McStay or Adams
B: Andrews Mcstay Birchall
HB: Gardiner Rich Answerth
C: Mccluggage CEY Robinson
HF: Rayner Adams Cameron
F: Hipwood Zorko Ah Chee
Foll: Martin Neale J Lyons
Int: J Berry Coleman Smith Mcinerney
More chance of McStay being moved to the NEAFL than the backline in 2020 in my opinion. In 2019 they placed a lot of faith in McStay & played him forward all season with moderate returns. 2020 will be his year to shine or be demoted. As for Adams being moved forward, he did little to give me the confidence he's a lock in our 22 for 2020 as well. Think Witho will start round 1 in our best 22 and then it will be up to him to stay there.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
More chance of McStay being moved to the NEAFL than the backline in 2020 in my opinion. In 2019 they placed a lot of faith in McStay & played him forward all season with moderate returns. 2020 will be his year to shine or be demoted. As for Adams being moved forward, he did little to give me the confidence he's a lock in our 22 for 2020 as well. Think Witho will start round 1 in our best 22 and then it will be up to him to stay there.

Of the blokes who were best 22 during our 9 game win streak you gotta feel mcstay, Adams, and Bundy are the three most likely to spend time in the seconds.

Of our youngs I reckon cam and bails are the two most likely for a few week downgrade if they struggle. Noah could be as well, but reckon he gets more leeway for second year blues.

DashinD

All Australian
Sep 5, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don’t mean to sound crude, but holy * I have a massive A. Bonar over our future leadership group.

D. Robbo probably the most impressive draftee I’ve ever heard in this department. Just had a listen to him on Road to the Draft podcast from earlier this year.

Plus Harro. Plus J Berry. Plus all the other junior captains in our young group.

Scha-wing!!

If I put my Crazy Mick Malthouse hat on, I can’t see us losing a game. Ever.

Jokes BtW

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Take your points and would also expect Witho to be there instead of Coleman. Im a bit more lenient on Adams due to number of games played and not really knowing where his ceiling might be. Perhaps he stays back and Skinner comes in for McStay if he pushes him out as others have suggested he may. I'm sure when the season comes around it's one we will all be closely focussing on.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adams was bad against Richmond, and average v GWS. Against Richmond in the home and away it was mainly the absurd ball movement out of the middle that killed him v Riewoldt.

He was excellent in our win against Geelong and in a few other games at the end of the season. I'd be stunned if he wasn't in the team barring fitness concerns.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Consistency is the big concern for Adams. His best is definitely good enough but his off games can be pretty bad, and you have no way of knowing which you're gonna get.

If he was a secondary forward it'd be less of an issue because secondary forwards do have a tendency to be up and down, but you want to know your backline is solid and reliable game in game out.

Reckon he's a lock early on if he's healthy but there's a very real chance he spends some time on the neafl if he is giving substantially variable outcomes week to week

Edit: on reflection, it seems like Adams may do better against big, strong, traditional kpf who he can go shoulder to shoulder with and struggle more when against more mobile endurance monsters. Just an observation but may explain the inconsistency. So maybe match ups will play a bigger factor in when he plays firsts and when he plays neafl

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Unless one of our young key forward prospects significantly improves, I can't see McStay playing that much time in the NEAFL.

He is what he is, but we don't have a likely option to replace his role.
Skinner, Fullerton, Ballendon & Wooller are 4 of the NEAFL boys who, providing form is good, could all be elevated and are likely options in 2020 should we need a key forward. All of these boys are young and will improve as they evolve. Dan turns 25 in June and should be almost at the top of his game at this stage in his career. If he doesn't pick it up a notch or 2, I definitely see someone coming in to replace him.

Skinner, Fullerton, Ballendon & Wooller are 4 of the NEAFL boys who, providing form is good, could all be elevated and are likely options in 2020 should we need a key forward. All of these boys are young and will improve as they evolve. Dan turns 25 in June and should be almost at the top of his game at this stage in his career. If he doesn't pick it up a notch or 2, I definitely see someone coming in to replace him.

Fullarton is the one to watch imo. I remember watching his first two games of footy when he returned to the club and it was blatantly obvious he is Frankishly athletic and very talented. He's the type of prospect I watch and can't help but feel very confident he will be an AFL standard player. As a forward, he can also ruck so when he is physically mature enough, he is instantly putting pressure on the likes of Oscar and Dan.

Then you add in guys like Wooller and Ballenden who are both growing into good prospects and there is no longer room for someone like Dan if he doesn't perform at an elite level in the seniors. It's exciting above all else!

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fullarton is the one to watch imo. I remember watching his first two games of footy when he returned to the club and it was blatantly obvious he is Frankishly athletic and very talented. He's the type of prospect I watch and can't help but feel very confident he will be an AFL standard player. As a forward, he can also ruck so when he is physically mature enough, he is instantly putting pressure on the likes of Oscar and Dan.

Then you add in guys like Wooller and Ballenden who are both growing into good prospects and there is no longer room for someone like Dan if he doesn't perform at an elite level in the seniors. It's exciting above all else!

Buddy Frankishly athletic?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Fullerton is coming from a long way back, and is a Cat B rookie. The only way he gets a shot this year is if there is a long term injury and he gets promoted ahead of Eagles.

Fullerton is coming from a long way back, and is a Cat B rookie. The only way he gets a shot this year is if there is a long term injury and he gets promoted ahead of Eagles.

Disagree. I think he's a lot closer to debuting than you think. If he has a good pre season, that will only reinforce his chances.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Tom Fullarton looked muscularly bigger in the training session I went to 2 weeks ago, very athletic/agile for his size as well.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Disagree. I think he's a lot closer to debuting than you think. If he has a good pre season, that will only reinforce his chances.
Don't be so certain, that is all I'm going to say here.
The main point of my post is that he’s a Cat B rookie. There needs to be a lti for him to be promoted to the senior list to get a game.

If there’s no lti, like last year, he can’t be promoted.

DashinD

All Australian
Sep 5, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Going out on a limb here but I reckon McStay will play every game if fit.
I though he was super solid for the second half of last year apart from fluffing the easy set shots. This is a real problem though that needs to be addressed.

He worked a lot harder last year than he has in the past. He looked less lost and got up the ground often for the bail out mark. Strong tackler, does the not easily noticed team things and is a smart player, I think he’s easily our best contested mark. A tad underrated sometimes on here for mine and I think he’s a good foil for Eric.

In saying that - if one of the talented youngsters like Fullarton or Woller pushes him out, that’s a good thing too.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Going out on a limb here but I reckon McStay will play every game if fit.
I though he was super solid for the second half of last year apart from fluffing the easy set shots. This is a real problem though that needs to be addressed.
If he doesn't learn how to kick, I'd give someone else a chance. McStay has always struck me as someone who'd be a better defender than forward, since his contested game has never been a problem but his accuracy always has. But if Fagan prefers him forward and Adams back, who am I to argue.

Back