Prediction Our side round 1, 2020...?

Remove this Banner Ad

But Hansen was used as a key forward. Just not the only one. Given (I assume, without scrolling up) the topic is McStay again, Lynch would map to Hipwood in this analogy and hence Hansen to McStay.

The point is that Riewoldt would map to Hipwood. Who was their second KPF?
Hipwood doesn't play like a key forward either honestly, he's like a tall flanker. The point isn't necessarily to dump on McStay here, it's that the team might be improved by a key forward who can mark and kick straight on a regular basis. We're clearly missing something to get to the top, and I wonder if our reliance on the midfield to kick goals is costing us. So too I notice we ride the boundary a lot and don't attack up the middle as much, and a key forward regularly leading into space or winning aerial balls up the middle could help that.

That's a really long bow to draw. I'm not denying Boyd had a good game, but claiming he's a quality KPF just because he had that good game in the GF is like saying Graham or Langford ought to be top small forwards because they managed the same feat.
The point is, they had someone in that game filling the key forward role effectively, which helped them win.

The point is, they had someone in that game filling the key forward role effectively, which helped them win.

McStay can effectively fill a key forward role for a single game. He's had several games where he's shown that, and IMO several more games than Boyd ever had. It's his consistency (and more specifically kicking at goal) that is causing the laments.

But Hansen was used as a key forward. Just not the only one. Given (I assume, without scrolling up) the topic is McStay again, Lynch would map to Hipwood in this analogy and hence Hansen to McStay.

The point is that Riewoldt would map to Hipwood. Who was their second KPF?

That's a really long bow to draw. I'm not denying Boyd had a good game, but claiming he's a quality KPF just because he had that good game in the GF is like saying Graham or Langford ought to be top small forwards because they managed the same feat.
I thought Boyd was the best player on the ground for the grand final. Other than this game he was not worth his contract. He was an OK player in most of his games but definitely not worth his 1 million dollar contract.

Hipwood doesn't play like a key forward either honestly, he's like a tall flanker. The point isn't necessarily to dump on McStay here, it's that the team might be improved by a key forward who can mark and kick straight on a regular basis. We're clearly missing something to get to the top, and I wonder if our reliance on the midfield to kick goals is costing us. So too I notice we ride the boundary a lot and don't attack up the middle as much, and a key forward regularly leading into space or winning aerial balls up the middle could help that.

A stat worth some consideration: Hippy's First 4 years of AFL Football: 113 Goals Browny's first four years of AFL Footy: 84 Goals.

He is a tall forward who pushes up to the wing, like every other tall forward in the game these days.

He did only take 1.2 contested marks per game last year when most 'true' key forwards take between 1.5 and 2 but he's trending towards that level and there's no reason he can't get there in the next year or 2.

Plays best on the flank rather than through the middle. He doesn't yet outmuscle opponents regularly either but maybe he can develop that.

Indeed not that you have to outmuscle opponents a bit more than he does to play through the middle rather than the flanks.

Plays best on the flank rather than through the middle. He doesn't yet outmuscle opponents regularly either but maybe he can develop that.

FWIW you just described last year's Coleman Medalist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed not that you have to outmuscle opponents a bit more than he does to play through the middle rather than the flanks.
For what its worth also...he's 22 years old and will play all season 2020 as a 22 year old "key forward". Plenty of time to "outmuscle" his direct opponents once he has more experience, strength & mental hardness. In the meantime, the mids might help a bit by looking up before they just bomb it into the forward fifty so as to give both him & Dan a better chance to capitalise on our many forward 50 entries every game.

This is my second and last guess on round 1 team. A few changes from my 3/12/19 side
I prefer arguably the best winger from 2019 Hugh McCluggage to stay their with stints in the midfield.
However from exposed games that may not happen.
Main discussion points have been the half back positions
Birchall, Witherden, Answorth, AhChee & Starcevich
Last Sunday Fagan said they have made some changes during the pre season and games.
Some have worked some need improvement or dumped he said.
I had previously stated no player should debut for a pressure round one game
With no crowds in round one i have changed my mind and included Robertson
The below side does not have much disruption from the regular 2019 team announcements

FB: Birchall, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Adams, Witherden

C: Bailey, Neale, Robinson
R: Martin, Lyons, McCluggage

HF: McCarthy, Hipwood, Zorko
FF: Cameron, McStay, Rayner

IC: McInerney, J Berry, Answorth, D Robertson

Others : Ah Chee, Starcevich, CEY, Christensen + A bolter is always a chance
Shame we dont have A. Boner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back