Strategy Our Small Forward Problem

Remove this Banner Ad

Class is absoutely the wrong word. Class is how things look, how stylish they are - nothing to do with effectiveness. Rioli looks great, but he's slow of thought, very poor overhead and never looks comfortable except when cruising around - usually just out of the play. Ok - he's a pretty good kick (which George definitely is not, and Aarts and Higgins are only average). I wonder if that broken foot from the 2017 GF has caused a lot more damage than we realise.
From 2017-2019, Butler was our classiest-looking small forward (he has got some tricks), but he was also the worst.

I don't want 'classy' players. KB wasn't classy. Milne wasn't classy. Both looked as rough as guts and both kicked more goals than any other small forwards I've seen. And that's by working hard, getting to the right spot, running your a#se off to make space (which sometimes makes space for the Full Forward to lead into, and then he gets all the credit) and sometimes hoping for the best.

George does everything right up until he actually has to kick (or handpass). His skill levels at those tasks are embarassing for an AFL-level footballer. He holds his spot because he gets the ball, runs to space, tackles and pressures well. He also creates chaos - which unfortunately affects us as much as the opposition.

Aarts isn't too bad. He is trying to get to the right positions, he seems to be working hard - he just doesn't win enough ball. He doesn't seem to be doing much wrong - maybe he's just not good enough.

Higgins - from what we've seen, probably our best bet going forward. This year has a massive asterisk still, because of his surgery.

If we are going to play Grimes, Astbury, Balta, Broad, Houli, and Short in the backline - I would love to see Baker tried up forward.
KB no class? Milne could do anything. By class I mean players that do the same thing consistently over and over and do it well. I mentioned Rioli because he doesn't have to touch the ball all that often to make things happen. He is consistent with his constructive play. He has gone backwards but showing signs of improving. George has one great trait, speed. But he is very one dimensional. Aarts has no speed but a bit of class as in he doesn't make mistakes and has good ball use. Butler had class but went missing so often. Higgins makes things happen when he touches the ball, class, but he is slow. All the players mentioned are missing something, unlike KB, Milne, Betts etc. Bolton as it by the truckload, but is too important in the middle right now. Edwards might be our best bet because we need him more up front that around the ball and considering how much footy he has missed it might be the teams best go.

Our smalls worked well as a collective group in 2017/18 because they were all super quick and hunted as a pack. The pace is missing now so those times seem to be on the wane. So why not experiment with Dow. Pace, good overhead, hunts the ball. Been said that he is a mid, but Gary Ablett started as a small forward. What can it hurt to give him a go.

Baker is another as you say, but he is playing so well and is super composed under pressure, more so than all our backs bar Vlastuin and Grimes, so can we afford to lose that.

Just re-watching Thursday night's highlights reel and it struck me that all our small forwards kicked goals. Each time the ball came in high, the tall timber brought it to ground and the mosquito fleet was well positioned around the pack to collect the ball as it was punched out. Our smalls seemed to be winning that punched ball more than the opposition backmen. We might just have put our small forward problem to bed, or at least well onto the backburner.

Just re-watching Thursday night's highlights reel and it struck me that all our small forwards kicked goals. Each time the ball came in high, the tall timber brought it to ground and the mosquito fleet was well positioned around the pack to collect the ball as it was punched out. Our smalls seemed to be winning that punched ball more than the opposition backmen. We might just have put our small forward problem to bed, or at least well onto the backburner.
They played with a lot more intensity, Aarts threw himself at everything which he needs to do. WC are so used to their backs marking everything and attacking that they have no hard nosed defenders. Can't remember them putting any real heat on our forwards.

That’s what we’ve been crying out for

About time we seen the pressure and haunting and goals kicked.

Seemed like we came in with a plan to not let them intercept mark. Its odd we werent doing that in previous games. Chol often got caught behind, maybe that was difference.

Better last week - hope they keep it up. Otherwise, we've got Higgo (what happened to him?) and just quietly, a bloke called Josh Caddy knows how to kick a goal or two.

Yes I was impressed with Aarts last game. He hadn't done much for quite a few weeks before that game. Let's see what he can bring this week. Higgins still deserves a spot and is incredibly important for our future.

With Pickett and McIntosh looking like dimmas favorite wing options -

I would look at playing Edwards forward if available...

Our small forwards this season have been very bad. We have lost Bolton to the midfield group, Butler (who was average for us) wasn’t prepared to fight for his spot and left, Stengle went home, Rioli is a completely different player to what we saw in 2017, Aarts has been serviceable but he isn’t great, Baker has been shifted to defence, Higgins had surgery on his brain and is still finding his feet, Stack has lost all of his ability and don’t even get me started on Castagna (I have already melted over this guy in his “GOAT” thread).

The question I pose to you all, is how do we sort out our underperforming smalls?

With sides tending to flood back against us, crumbing and cleanliness at ground level has never been more important, but when the ball hits the deck, our smalls are nowhere to be seen. They’re even on the television screen. I don’t know what they’re doing, because they’re not helping up the ground either. Their positioning is woeful. We no longer lock the ball in and have those inside fifty tackles that made our pressure game so good in 2017.

What do we do? Is it time to move Baker forward again? Bolton can’t play there as he’s too valuable in midfield. Do we try Markov up forward? Dow? Something needs to be done. It needs to be sorted before we go into finals because we are playing with less players when the likes of Castagna regularly get a gig and offer so little, every single week.

I came across this on Twitter a couple of days ago...

View attachment 938590

Grim. We went to being overly stacked in one position to not having one competent small forward.

Commentary team praised Richmond small forward depth a fair bit.

Aarts has been good. Has filled the butler hole quite well

I thought our small forwards all played well today.

I’d still like to see out small forwards kick more goals but I thought all Castagna, Higgins, Rioli and Aarts player their roles well tonight.

Realistically I think at least one of them will be dropped once Lambo, Titch and Prestia return so the pressure is on them all to perform and keep their spots in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought our small forwards all played well today.

I’d still like to see out small forwards kick more goals but I thought all Castagna, Higgins, Rioli and Aarts player their roles well tonight.

Realistically I think at least one of them will be dropped once Lambo, Titch and Prestia return so the pressure is on them all to perform and keep their spots in the team.

Yep last 2 weeks they been alot better we know what happens when there on hunting the opposition and kicking goals.

Our small forwards this season have been very bad. We have lost Bolton to the midfield group, Butler (who was average for us) wasn’t prepared to fight for his spot and left, Stengle went home, Rioli is a completely different player to what we saw in 2017, Aarts has been serviceable but he isn’t great, Baker has been shifted to defence, Higgins had surgery on his brain and is still finding his feet, Stack has lost all of his ability and don’t even get me started on Castagna (I have already melted over this guy in his “GOAT” thread).

The question I pose to you all, is how do we sort out our underperforming smalls?

With sides tending to flood back against us, crumbing and cleanliness at ground level has never been more important, but when the ball hits the deck, our smalls are nowhere to be seen. They’re even on the television screen. I don’t know what they’re doing, because they’re not helping up the ground either. Their positioning is woeful. We no longer lock the ball in and have those inside fifty tackles that made our pressure game so good in 2017.

What do we do? Is it time to move Baker forward again? Bolton can’t play there as he’s too valuable in midfield. Do we try Markov up forward? Dow? Something needs to be done. It needs to be sorted before we go into finals because we are playing with less players when the likes of Castagna regularly get a gig and offer so little, every single week.

I came across this on Twitter a couple of days ago...

View attachment 938590

Grim. We went to being overly stacked in one position to not having one competent small forward.

I feel Aarts has done a.n ok job replacing butler.

Bolton will rejoin thr fwds i think

Bolton. Edwards. Lambert...

Rioli is getting better

George adds pressure and hardness

That's not too bad around caddy. Cotchin. Lynch. Dusty. Jack unless son of a goat arrives in 3 games time

We could have Verne Troyer as a small forward and we'd still win the flag this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back