Our (small) profit

Remove this Banner Ad

Woofer

Debutant
Nov 16, 2000
Altona, Melbourne, Vic
Bit relieved with this announcement - only small (25-30k)but not in the red. If only we'd got the same membership levels as 99.

Now with Colonial turning around we can really kick on.

I was releived too
biggrin.gif
. Although the high number of members dropping off is very disappoining
mad.gif
. They better be back on board next season!!! Though it's really good that attendance was up by 70000 especially with all the problems at colonial.

We need 25000 members at least next season ppl!!!

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/isdogisgood/index.html

Go Eagles,

It was around 2-3,000 members that dropped off this season, very worrying indeed. I just hope a large chunck of our supporter base isn't a bunch of band wagoners! Don't get me wrong, but the truth of the matter is that, our membership almost doubled on a wave of success early in 97, and has been (mostly) maintained during this prosperous period. This level of membership is yet to be tested during a lean spell. A lot of the sentiments that I have seen from doggies supporters are that of expectancy, and I am s**t scared that if we were to go through a couple of disappointing years, a lot could drop off. A small proportion obviously will as with most clubs, but as I mentioned above, our club has never been through 4 years or continued success before, and I just hope a lot of them aren't fickle enough to stop buying memberships during hard times.

Woofer,
After our 400,000 loss last year, I was rapt (while suprised) with the result, and hope they can continue it next year with a revised policy at Colonial. I just hope our club doesn't start looking too far ahead with this result, forgetting about the fundamentals- (I heard Smorgo say he was looking at 500,000 profit- too optimistic if you ask me considering our financial record, leaving us open for a let down- but brilliant if they can do it). The fact is that the Colonial compensation had a large bearing on the result, and we certainly won't be given such favourable treatment next year.

The additional 70,000 (presumably walk up paying) supporters may have also had an impact on the figure, due to the revised policy of all gate receipts going to the home club (but we also had to pay for any loss generating games ourselves), and we did have home games against Essendon/ Collingwood/ Carlton (only 35,000 ppl at that one though). Next years result will be the most important IMO, (with no colonial problems/payouts impacting on the result) giving a fair indication of where we are really at.

Yeh Westy, next year is important and I have the same fears as you - can we afford another terrible year like 96 on & off the field?

Did Smorgo say that ?

I don't think the Colonial money was the sole reason we finished in the black - after all it was meant to be "compensation" and re-imbursed for amounts lost through the stadium operators stuff ups. Don't look on it as a windfall just compo.

Now that we have some cold hard facts in front of us & not airy fairy "projections" we're more likely to budget properly for another profit.

If only those on again off again supporters would jump on for good !

the club has to really push the message that members do not have to book a seat and can sit on the 4th level.The recent mail out didnt highlight this strongly enough .

------------------
" I can resist anything.........except temptation."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back