R.Thompson
H.Watts
C.Dixon
Z.Smith
J.Stanley
J.Daye
M.Storey
N.Congoo

If you have seen any of these in action feel free to write a report.

I'll add to this list when i get other names in.

Hope this shows in more depth the process of our squad for next season ,

LEVEL ONE PROVIDED BY GC17

The GC17 currently have a number of contracted players, who basically will be training and living on the Gold Coast on a fulltime basis commencing mid November 2008. These players are classified as Level One players.

LEVEL TWO PROVIDED BY GC17

Approx 20 other u18 boys from throughout Queensland will be offered the opportunity to train with the GC17 over the summer participating in a minimum of three sessions per week. Selection of these boys is based on performances over the past twelve months plus players availability to attend the minimum amount of sessions on the Gold Coast, without an enormous impact on players and parents, from a travel perspective. Some players will be offered the opportunity to relocate to the Gold Coast depending on education and employment status. These players are classified as Level 2 players.

LEVEL THREE PROVIDED BY GC17/AFL QUEENSLAND

Approx 20 other u18 boys from throughout SE Queensland will be offered the opportunity to train once a week with the GC17 every weekend (Saturday preferable) throughout the summer. This is to expose boys to the GC17 program while keeping in perspective the travel demands of players. This group of players must also participate in two other afternoon training sessions during the week with their regional squads eg Raiders/Bushies etc giving them a combined total of three sessions per week. These players are classified as Level 3 players.

LEVEL FOUR PROVIDED BY AFL QUEENSLAND

All regions throughout Queensland will conduct the usual summer program based around a minimum of two night’s attendance (preferred three nights) of quality development training developed in consultation with GC17 and other leading AFL level development staff.

AUSTRALIA POST STATE DEVELOPMENT CHAMPIONSHIPS AND REPRESENTATIVE SELECTION PROCESS.

AFL Queensland will still conduct the Australia Post State Development Championships as usual in early March 2009

Only players who form part of Level Three and Level Four of the summer program will be participating in the State Championships.

At the completion of the State Championships in early March, a squad will be selected from these Level 3 and Level 4 players who participated in the State championship games and that squad will play a final selection game on the weekend of March 28 / 29 against players who completed Level One and Level Two of the GC 17 summer program.

At the conclusion of this game an initial squad will be announced for GC/Queensland Scorpion games for season 2009. It is important to note that this squad will be a very fluid squad, with some players being added and some dropping out of the squad as the season progresses.

Congratulations to all boys selected to be a part of GC17 in some capacity...

Firstname Surname Level

Declan Bevan 2
Nathanial Congoo 3
Jake Crawford 2
Joseph Daye 1
Charlie Dixon 1
Luke Edwards 3
Aaron Fabian 3
Matt Fowler 2
Todd Grayson 2
Tyler Green 2
Jesse Haberfield 1
Justin Harding 2
Mitch Harley 3
Thomas Holland 3
Cheyne Hutchinson 3
Atiba Jackson 3
Troy Jamieson 3
Ben Jeanke-Cain 3
Rex Liddy 2
Mark Lock 2
Alex Magin 2
Lanze Magin 3
Gerard Moore 2
Lewis Moss 2
James Nelis 2
Todd Panoho 3
Amua Parika 1
James Pennycuick 3
Nick Price 1
Daniel Ramage 2
Ethan Reading 3
Brad Rees 3
Taylor Rolfe 2
Liam Rutledge 2
Luke Shreeve 2
Zac Smith 1
Nathan Spring 3
Jack Stanlake 1
Jack Stanley 1
Damian Steven 2
Matt Storey 3
Josh Thomas 2
Rory Thompson 1
Ryan Thomson 2
Sam Usherwood 3
Hamish Watts 2
Sean Yoshiura 3

I might've seen a few of these guys playing for QLD but didn't notice them, but there's four names that I recall taking notes on.

I've already written a little bit about Joey Daye. Basically he's an athletic tall best suited to an outside role like HBF or the wing. He's pretty quick and has a long stride. Plenty of X-Factor, but does go missing at times. I like his class. Pretty speculative sort of player and I reckon if he wasn't signed to GC he'd be an outside rookie chance this year. He's got the athleticism and size that recruiters seem to like, but he might be a little bit too outside.

Charlie Dixon has a ridiculous set of hands. He has a vice like grip. He's unfortunately got one of the most god awful kicks I've seen. His action is horrible and the result usually matches. I've seen him two or three times, so it was only a sample, but his kicking seemed to be just as bad each time. He's a pretty big unit and a good key forward target.

I must've been in a pretty excitable mood when I saw Declan Bevan, but I actually wrote down "GC first pick" when I looked up his age. ;) I was quite impressed with his marking and ability to impose himself on a contest. I was probably overstating it a bit, I've actually only seen him once, but I was impressed. He moves alright for a big bloke and is very strong overhead. Seemed to cover a decent amount of ground and was pretty lively up forward.

Jesse Haberfield was the other one. He's a bit on the shorter side IIRC but he's got a pretty well developed body. Seems like he's someone who will have a crack at the contest, but the day I saw him he got a knock to the head pretty early. It didn't keep him out of the game and he was still going hard at the contest when he came back with his head taped up. Midfielder with a pretty strong inside game - but only from one viewing, so don't treat it as gospel.

Truth be told, I don't have a whole heap more info on these guys, but that's what I remember of them. Hope this helps.

I might've seen a few of these guys playing for QLD but didn't notice them, but there's four names that I recall taking notes on.

I've already written a little bit about Joey Daye. Basically he's an athletic tall best suited to an outside role like HBF or the wing. He's pretty quick and has a long stride. Plenty of X-Factor, but does go missing at times. I like his class. Pretty speculative sort of player and I reckon if he wasn't signed to GC he'd be an outside rookie chance this year. He's got the athleticism and size that recruiters seem to like, but he might be a little bit too outside.

Charlie Dixon has a ridiculous set of hands. He has a vice like grip. He's unfortunately got one of the most god awful kicks I've seen. His action is horrible and the result usually matches. I've seen him two or three times, so it was only a sample, but his kicking seemed to be just as bad each time. He's a pretty big unit and a good key forward target.

I must've been in a pretty excitable mood when I saw Declan Bevan, but I actually wrote down "GC first pick" when I looked up his age. ;) I was quite impressed with his marking and ability to impose himself on a contest. I was probably overstating it a bit, I've actually only seen him once, but I was impressed. He moves alright for a big bloke and is very strong overhead. Seemed to cover a decent amount of ground and was pretty lively up forward.

Jesse Haberfield was the other one. He's a bit on the shorter side IIRC but he's got a pretty well developed body. Seems like he's someone who will have a crack at the contest, but the day I saw him he got a knock to the head pretty early. It didn't keep him out of the game and he was still going hard at the contest when he came back with his head taped up. Midfielder with a pretty strong inside game - but only from one viewing, so don't treat it as gospel.

Truth be told, I don't have a whole heap more info on these guys, but that's what I remember of them. Hope this helps.

Cheers mate , nice review.:thumbsu:

I reckon they'd be very keen to get Matt Fowler signed up, looked really promising in a few games for QLD U18s this year and I think may have been part of the Western Magpies Div 2 Premiership side.

I agree with VC's write ups on Dixon and Haberfield but the other two I'm afraid I have not seen enough of (or taken notice of). The only thing I disagree VC is Haberfield's "got a pretty well developed body". He is still very skinny, especially his legs.

Other blokes that I have seen play through going to school with them, School Football (Lions Cup) and QAFL Reserves are(haven't done any of the players that have already on one of those level one contracts, as writeups have already been done possibly??):

Matt Fowler: Only saw the one game of his in the Reserves GF, but looked like a very good player. Fairly well built and was good at winning his own ball. Dont really know much about him.

Tyler Green: Tall marking FF. Got good hands who has a fairly good goal kicking action. Ball drop maybe slightly high. Can be a bit lazy though.

Cheyne Hutchinson: Very well built man. 200+ I would have thought who can play either forward, back or ruck. Played a couple of games in seniors for Broadbeach later in the season and played very well in those games. He is a smart footballer with good skills. Maybe not the most athletic but is a good player. From memory captained the QLD U16 side. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Mark Lock: Marc has a footballers body. Once he puts some mussle on could be a very good player. I don't have it here but from memory again, I think he was named the best U17's player in the QLD U18's at the National Champs. Plays in the midfield, but is very versatile.

Daniel Ramage: Very small, fairly well built pure ball winner. Finds the ball at will, in either stopagers or around the ground. Very smart player, but has very poor disposal by foot. Kicks a lot of floaters to the opposition or team mates that are under pressure. Turns the footy over alot.

Taylor Rolfe: Is a very good young junior. Has played seniors for Broadbeach already this season and is a good midfielder/small backman. Good athletism and pretty good skills. Should definately play TAC Cup next year.

Hamish Watts: Plays off the half back and was voted best on field in the GF of the Lions Cup. Well built played ressies for Southport in the losing GF and played a decent game. Tough player who can break tackles and get the ball to him team mates. Not sure if he played seniors this year but could well have.

I have seen a few of the others but didnt take enough notice to comment on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok these are the guys i no about
Declan Bevan 2 - tall kpp forward or ruck, played qld last two years had a great carnival two yrs ago
Aaron Fabian 3 - trains with raiders, tall kpp forward type player, pretty good shot at goal
Rex Liddy 2 - plays for kenmore, midfielder
Lewis Moss - Played qld u16 last season, had a solid carnival
James Nelis 2 - midfielder who also played qld u16 last season
Liam Rutledge 2 - tallish player from raiders, plays for sandgate along with nelis, and is a beautiful kick off both sides
Sam Usherwood 3 - played for southern redbacks and absolutely carved us up when we played them this yr. played midfield/ruck/chf kicked 6 straight and gave the redbacks great drive out of the centre
Sean Yoshiura 3 - finished school at ipswich grammar this yr and is a midfielder who has great endurance, highlighted by his numerous wins at gps cross country level.

I defaintly know Alex Magin is the brother of Essendon rookie Rhys Magin not sure the other one but i would think they are related in some way.

Yes, Alex & Lanze are both brothers of Rhys Magin at Essendon. Both have very good skills but like Rhys, will need to continue adding a few kg's over the ensuing years so they are not easily knocked off the ball. I know the family and they are all excellent kids...................I know Alex has been looked at by Collingwood and I'm hoping he ends up there so I have a family friend contact at the club hehehehe!!!!!

Lanze Magin and Alex (but his real name is Alik) are twins and yes they are the younger brothers of Rhys Magin. Lanze is an amazing football player. He has an X factor, If it was me picking the GC squad he would definatley be in it, he would be an asset to this up coming squad. Not only is he a brilliant player his leadership qualities are outstanding. He has captained many sides and has succesfully done this position every time. Lanze may not, well definatley wouldnt be the biggest guy on the field but he is one of the hardest and toughest. His tackling skills are amazing and he always seems to tackle the biggest guys on the other team with ease for a smaller male he has a heart of a lion he isnt afraid of anyone. Lanze can read the play as well he always seems to be in the right position. I would be extreamly dissapointed if his talents didnt take him further in his football career cause he deserves it. The regional carnival is coming up and lanze is playing for Sunny Coast Power again, i hope scouts will be watching and realise the potentional this young man has. Wishing Lanze all the best with his future.

Lanze Magin and Alex (but his real name is Alik) are twins and yes they are the younger brothers of Rhys Magin. Lanze is an amazing football player. He has an X factor, If it was me picking the GC squad he would definatley be in it, he would be an asset to this up coming squad. Not only is he a brilliant player his leadership qualities are outstanding. He has captained many sides and has succesfully done this position every time. Lanze may not, well definatley wouldnt be the biggest guy on the field but he is one of the hardest and toughest. His tackling skills are amazing and he always seems to tackle the biggest guys on the other team with ease for a smaller male he has a heart of a lion he isnt afraid of anyone. Lanze can read the play as well he always seems to be in the right position. I would be extreamly dissapointed if his talents didnt take him further in his football career cause he deserves it. The regional carnival is coming up and lanze is playing for Sunny Coast Power again, i hope scouts will be watching and realise the potentional this young man has. Wishing Lanze all the best with his future.

Very well said hard as nails great skills and can be in and under or tearing away. Alik is a great lead and overhead mark has kicked over the hundred goal mark as well.
Both the twins live for footy and give 100% wish them the best of luck.

Very well said hard as nails great skills and can be in and under or tearing away. Alik is a great lead and overhead mark has kicked over the hundred goal mark as well.
Both the twins live for footy and give 100% wish them the best of luck.
Hey guys, Rex Liddy is in your team for TAC Cup isnt he.Same with the PNG signing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back