3. Ross

HF: Lambert, Lynch, Bolton
F: Riewoldt, Martin, Castanga

Depth
1. Rioli
2. Ralphsmith

B: Pickett, Nankveris, Graham, Castanga

From this team roll-out

1. Our defence looks really good. We lost Vlastuin, Balta, Broad and Houli for an extended period of time - all at once.

Tarrant is an upgrade on Astbury, Rioli and Stack can fight for Houli's position and Broad's return can free up Grimes to move up the ground and cut off offensive bursts from the opposition.

2. Our Midfield is full of red flags. Prestia, Lambert, Cotchin and Graham all immensely prone to injury. Guaranteed each of them will miss MINIMUM 5 games next year due to injury. Whether Cotchin's hamstring is tender, Prestia's Calf, Lambert's hip or Graham's shoulder falls off - our midfield is our Achilles heel. We need Ross, Dow and RCD to genuinely step up - we also need something else and this is where I love the discussion of Baker becoming a midfielder.

Hes hard as nails, our bsckline is strong, and I just see Baker transitioning into the midfield role so smoothly. How do you feel about Baker moving to the midfield? Had one ripper game playing in the guys where he collected 33 touches, think he's ready.

3. Jack and Tom are lacking mobility and agility.They get neutralised in the air, Tom is twisted into a pretzel because he can't turn a corner - we need some strength and speed within the forward group. Now that Dusty is 30, I feel it's time he transitions to a forward, who can rotate through the midfield.

There's a lot to work with here, looking at this list, it's a smart move to reload and go again in 2022. We need some reliability and some luck in the midfield, and hoping we can bring in some quality tactical coaches and developmental coaches to tighten up our game style and progress RCD, Dow, Ross and Miller.

What's your starting 22?

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Is there a younger Chaos King brother in the draft I haven't heard of, Tzatziki, or are you planning to don a flak suit and not only justify starting Georgie on the field to the hordes of haters, but starting him on the bench as well? ;)

Agree on Baker and the midfield vulnerability, though I wouldn't classify Graham as an injury risk on par with the veterans.

Martin more perma-forward is solid thinking, IMO, though I really think we need MRJ to fill a hole we have with pace and defensive bite ASAP to make the two talls + Dusty more balanced.

Have to concur with tugga that it's way too early pre-trade and draft period to start naming best-22, I won't be taking a guess until February. But that's not to say that your other points aren't well made and worth debating now...it's a long summer ahead! :thumbsu:

Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man U, Chicago Bulls, Anaheim Ducks
B: Grimes Tarrant Vlastuin
HB: Broad Balta Rioli
C: Kmac RCD Pickett
HF: Bolton Riewoldt Stack
FF: Martin Lynch Caddy
Foll: Soldo Graham Prestia
Int: Nankervis Cotchin Edwards Dow

Sub: Parker

Edit: * forgot baker, shorty & couple of others

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
2GjgvS5vA6y08.gif

LOZWILDA

All Australian
Feb 24, 2008
SUNBURY
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Diggersrest fc.Tongala fc, Sunbury
C: Macintosh Cotchin Pickett
R: Nankervis Prestia Baker
HF: Edwards Riewoldt Stack
F: Bolton Lynch Martin
Int: Graham Lambert Short Soldo

Emg: RCD, Ralphsmith Caddy? Miller Cumberland Rioli Martyn Dow Parker Castagna Aarts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
C: Short Graham McIntosh
HF: Edwards Riewoldt Lambert
F: Bolton Lynch Baker
R: Nankervis Prestia, Martin
Int: Cotchin Stack RCD Soldo

Emg: Ralphsmith Cumberland/Caddy, Dow

Need to win it from the midfield. Bolton, Cotch, RCD and Lambert rotating through. We need Martin back to his best firing through the middle, and then resting up forward.

Lynchy04

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
McIntosh had a shocker this year and not sure Pickett is the answer for the wing. Its one spot I think we really lack quality, can we turn Cotch into a winger? Broad as a left field option or even Shorty?

Caddy in the F50 is a must for mine. Melbourne showed the blueprint of this season they had Brown, TMAC, JAckson/Gawn 3 talls up front with mid sized Fritsh and Neale Bullen with Spargo and Pickett the smalls.

Lynch Jack Nank/Soldo with Caddy & Parker the mid sized with George/ Edwards , Lambert the smalls who can rotate half forward.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
B: Grimes - Tarrant - Vlastuin
HB: Short - Balta - Broad
C: Ralphsmith - Martin - Cotchin
HF: Lambert - Lynch - Baker
FF: Edwards - Reiwoldt - Stack
Rk: Nankervis - Bolton - Prestia
Int: Soldo - Collier Dawkins - Graham - D Rioli

Emerg: Dow - Cumberland - Mansell -

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Broad....TAZ.....Grimes
Mansell..Balta...Stacky
Macca....Martin.Pickett
Lambert.Lynch..Baker
Edwards.JR8.....Cumberland
Nank.....Bolton..Prestia

Soldo...Graham...Collier-Dawkins...Cotch

Dow...Short...Parker

Last edited:
B: Grimes 194cm 91kg 192 games Tarrant 196cm 96kg 174 games Broad 192cm 89kg 84 games

HB: Vlastuin 187cm 88kg 173 games Balta 194cm 102kg 44 games Stack 179cm 75kg 33 games

C: Short 178cm 76kg 114 games Graham 181cm 83kg 77 games Baker 173cm 72kg 64 games

HF: Bolton 175cm 77kg 67 games Lynch 199cm 98kg 193 games Lambert 178cm 77kg 128 games

F: Martin 187cm 91kg 260 games Riewoldt 193cm 92kg 305 games Edwards 182cm 78kg 281 games

R: Nankervis 199cm 102kg 98 games Collier-Dawkins 191cm 90kg 9 games Prestia 175cm 82kg 173 games

INT: Soldo 204cm 106kg 36 games Cotchin 185cm 86kg 268 games D.Rioli 179cm 77kg 114 games Ross 187cm 85kg 29 games

SUB: Dow 183cm 77kg 7 games

From our best 22 in 2021
Out: Astbury Houli McIntosh Pickett Castagna Aarts
In: Tarrant Stack RCD Ross Soldo Dow

Backline:
Tarrant replaces Astbury and Stack replaces Houli. Balta & Broad return. Short and Baker move up to the wings. Vlastuin and Grimes D.Rioli as the 7th defender. Solid unit that should hold up well over the course of the season.

Midfield:
Soldo and Nankervis at full fitness gives us an impressive 1-2 punch in the ruck. Graham comes in to replace Cotchin in the centre, while RCD & Ross also get their chance to establish themselves, with Prestia being their for leadership. As mentioned Baker and Short move to the wings to give us run and carry plus better ball use heading into the F50. Rotating through are Cotchin Martin Bolton Lambert & Edwards

Forward:
We need to have a target further up the ground so Lynch needs to get up to CHF and provide a target like he did against the Dogs earlier this year. Jack to play the deep forward who gets to the right spots to have an impact and give our smalls a starting point to work off. To mix things up I'm stacking the rest of the forward line with weapons. Lambert to play as the high half forward who pushes up into the midfield as the extra option around the stoppages. Martin Edwards and Bolton as the small/medium forwards puts the opposition back line under pressure as they aren't there as defensive forwards like Castagna and Aarts were, but they are there to hit the scoreboard.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
B: Grimes 194cm 91kg 192 games Tarrant 196cm 96kg 174 games Broad 192cm 89kg 84 games

HB: Vlastuin 187cm 88kg 173 games Balta 194cm 102kg 44 games Stack 179cm 75kg 33 games

C: Short 178cm 76kg 114 games Graham 181cm 83kg 77 games Baker 173cm 72kg 64 games

HF: Bolton 175cm 77kg 67 games Lynch 199cm 98kg 193 games Lambert 178cm 77kg 128 games

F: Martin 187cm 91kg 260 games Riewoldt 193cm 92kg 305 games Edwards 182cm 78kg 281 games

R: Nankervis 199cm 102kg 98 games Collier-Dawkins 191cm 90kg 9 games Prestia 175cm 82kg 173 games

INT: Soldo 204cm 106kg 36 games Cotchin 185cm 86kg 268 games D.Rioli 179cm 77kg 114 games Ross 187cm 85kg 29 games

SUB: Dow 183cm 77kg 7 games

From our best 22 in 2021
Out: Astbury Houli McIntosh Pickett Castagna Aarts
In: Tarrant Stack RCD Ross Soldo Dow

Backline:
Tarrant replaces Astbury and Stack replaces Houli. Balta & Broad return. Short and Baker move up to the wings. Vlastuin and Grimes D.Rioli as the 7th defender. Solid unit that should hold up well over the course of the season.

Midfield:
Soldo and Nankervis at full fitness gives us an impressive 1-2 punch in the ruck. Graham comes in to replace Cotchin in the centre, while RCD & Ross also get their chance to establish themselves, with Prestia being their for leadership. As mentioned Baker and Short move to the wings to give us run and carry plus better ball use heading into the F50. Rotating through are Cotchin Martin Bolton Lambert & Edwards

Forward:
We need to have a target further up the ground so Lynch needs to get up to CHF and provide a target like he did against the Dogs earlier this year. Jack to play the deep forward who gets to the right spots to have an impact and give our smalls a starting point to work off. To mix things up I'm stacking the rest of the forward line with weapons. Lambert to play as the high half forward who pushes up into the midfield as the extra option around the stoppages. Martin Edwards and Bolton as the small/medium forwards puts the opposition back line under pressure as they aren't there as defensive forwards like Castagna and Aarts were, but they are there to hit the scoreboard.

I really like this team. It's strong across the board with experience and talent in every line.

Defence
The backline is diverse in strengths and a has a good combination of pure stopping defenders and attacking defenders. My only change would be to move Short back into the D50 and Stack out (I prefer him forward where he can be more creative and attacking). Depnding on match ups, I'd rather Baker in the backline than Broad because of his ground work, speed, pressure, skills and ability to rebound out of defense. Broad was having the season of his life before he got injured but we seem too tall with Tarrant, Grimes, Balta and him in the D50 when other sides have so many small/mid sized forwards now days.

Midfield
Having Soldo and Nank through the middle and supporting at either end. They'll make a huge difference to the performance of our onball brigade and at the bookends when required. If Short is in the backline, I would play McIntosh/Pickett on the wing instead (whoever is better performing at the time). I think we still need Edwards/Bolton's creativity through the middle (rotating) and only one of Ross or RCD (again depending upon form).

Forward
This is the area of the ground I'd like to see the most adjustment. I like your assertion that Lynch should play further up the ground with Jack playing deep. Lambert plays half forward, two of Bolton, Edwards and Dusty rotating through there at any one time - the other in the midfield. I'd have Castagna play as our defensive forward with Rioli Jnr/Arts/Ralphsmith taking his place if they string together strong games at VFL level.

The last spot should go to Caddy. He is a proven match winner in the forwardline. He is goal kicker. He is creative and sets up goals for others. He is strong at ground level and a great contested mark. He creates space in congestion and is a good one-on-one player. Caddy's greatest weaknesses are his speed and agility but in an increasingly congested/flooded forwardline. These weaknesses are minimalism in the F50, especially if they are flooded, but his strengths are amplified. I think he is a better midsized option that is available in almost any other team and we should include him to adapt to the defensive strategy most opposition teams are using atm.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
I really like this team. It's strong across the board with experience and talent in every line.

Defence
The backline is diverse in strengths and a has a good combination of pure stopping defenders and attacking defenders. My only change would be to move Short back into the D50 and Stack out (I prefer him forward where he can be more creative and attacking). Depnding on match ups, I'd rather Baker in the backline than Broad because of his ground work, speed, pressure, skills and ability to rebound out of defense. Broad was having the season of his life before he got injured but we seem too tall with Tarrant, Grimes, Balta and him in the D50 when other sides have so many small/mid sized forwards now days.

Midfield
Having Soldo and Nank through the middle and supporting at either end. They'll make a huge difference to the performance of our onball brigade and at the bookends when required. If Short is in the backline, I would play McIntosh/Pickett on the wing instead (whoever is better performing at the time). I think we still need Edwards/Bolton's creativity through the middle (rotating) and only one of Ross or RCD (again depending upon form).

Forward
This is the area of the ground I'd like to see the most adjustment. I like your assertion that Lynch should play further up the ground with Jack playing deep. Lambert plays half forward, two of Bolton, Edwards and Dusty rotating through there at any one time - the other in the midfield. I'd have Castagna play as our defensive forward with Rioli Jnr/Arts/Ralphsmith taking his place if they string together strong games at VFL level.

The last spot should go to Caddy. He is a proven match winner in the forwardline. He is goal kicker. He is creative and sets up goals for others. He is strong at ground level and a great contested mark. He creates space in congestion and is a good one-on-one player. Caddy's greatest weaknesses are his speed and agility but in an increasingly congested/flooded forwardline. These weaknesses are minimalism in the F50, especially if they are flooded, but his strengths are amplified. I think he is a better midsized option that is available in almost any other team and we should include him to adapt to the defensive strategy most opposition teams are using atm.
Just a reminder that we ALWAYS pick seven defenders, there is always one on the bench. So the likelyhood that Taz, Grimes, Balta and Broad would be playing on field together would be minimal. Broad is critical to our defensive set up as he frees up Grimes (and Vlaustin) to intercept, as well as being a decent intercept now himself.

So that's five, Rioli and Stack now do the clean up work (7) which really does free up Baker and Short to be used further up the ground where their kicking is really needed. I agree that if Short does stay back it give the flexibility of Stack further up the ground also. I think there are benefits to both. I really think Baker is too good for the backline. He is super creative, brave and a 360 degree player. I'd like to see him do a full preseason with the mids, roving along with Prestia as Prestia winds down to a quality not quantity player like Cotch. Prestia, Baker and Shai make up a pretty formidable small on ball troupe.

McIntosh might not be a great user of the ball but he's very strong, runs all day and is rarely beaten one on one. I think he still has a mortgage on one wing. I don't know where that leaves Pickett who basically plays the same role. Dimma likes his big strong defensive wingers. Parker is probably the third in line for that wing spot also and provides a hard contest with the ability to go forward and hit the scoreboard. Parker really is depth cover tho. Short up the ground really does provide some better ball use we've been screaming out for.

When you consider that RCD/Ross/Martyn will all get inside mid game time off the bench it means some good players resting at times or missing out. If we get Prestia, Cotch, Edwards, Lambert all fit and firing in the same team and a very hungry Martin returning then the squeeze is on and I feel we can really bounce back strong.

I like Lynch at CHF and Jack close to goals using his smarts. Once Soldo is fit enough I think he becomes the No1 tap ruck and then Nank's job is to play the foil tall forward where he's always good for a goal or two and not being outmarked and then come in and impact in the ruck late in quarters. Nank would easily be in the top 2/3 second rucks in the competition. Extends his career too. What a weapon.

I suspect Dusty will come back to full fitness leaner and meaner and with a lot to prove (I know, crazy right). I think he and they will recognise that against some teams (Demons, Dogs, Cats, Lions) he will play midfield more to win contested ball and drift forward, whereas against teams that are more vulnerable he will play mostly near goal. That forward setup with Jack, Lynch and Dusty still looks frightening for defenders. Adding some mobile class up forward like Edwards/Cotchin/Lambo at their feet would be an upgrade on what Aarts/Castagna have been producing.

Throwing Caddy in as the medium tall 7th forward for his marking and goal kicking becomes more possible now that the rules have changed and small defensive forwards teeth have been blunted. I've always believed class around goal is imperative and as their careers wind down Edwards/Cotchin/Lambert become more valuable with their calm heads and experience around goal.

Grimes Tarrant Rioli
Vlaustin Balta Stack
Short Graham McIntosh
Lambert Lynch Bolton
Cotchin Reiwoldt Edwards

Soldo Martin Prestia

Broad Nankervis RCD Baker

Sub: Dow

Emerg: Pickett Ross Ralph Miller

D: Castagna, Aarts, Martyn Parker Caddy Cumberland and Samson Ryan.

That's 34. I haven't included Garth, Egg or any other unproven players.

Plus add in two or three quality first round midfielders and two or three quality young KPP's over the next two drafts and we look pretty strong in most areas of the park.

Assuming everyone is fit, the starting 22 is an embarrassment of riches really when you look at other teams. It's really a starting 25 or 26 and that's with Chol.and CCJ not even in the mix.

Defence is very strong and with a great mix of experience and flair. Rioli has a new lease of life and is showing that his best footy maybe in front of him. Stack could really be anything. Still only 21 keep him in defence until he's stable, playing consistant footy and then weaponise him where needed. I wasn't keen on Talia at all but Taz is an upgrade on Astbury. If we can get two solid season out of him then it's a big win. The other defenders have the runs on the board whilst Miller continues to develop as backup. Too big, fast and skilled not to be given every chance for when Taz is done. 200cm guys who run 2.91 for 20m and can kick are worth persevering with. He will be a cornerstone defender at 25.

The midfield is working-class but only really lacks class when either Dusty or Shai aren't in there. Prestia, Cotch, Lambert and Edwards being in the 22 and impacting on ball if/when needed to support Baker, Graham, Short, Macca and RCD is a strong mix when combined with our A/B+ graders, used sparingly and as needed for impact. I have high hopes for Dow with his slick hands and moves.

The forward line, if it lined up like this is just plain scary on paper. Especially if Nank or Soldo also rest/drift forward. (Nank is also great help chopping out down back). Dusty, Shai, Cotch, Edwards and Lambert running onto loose balls and working in close together around goals is tantalising. No more Castagna and Aarts spraying shots all over the arc. Caddy is also deadly with ball in hand should he play forward.

The bench is decent quality and there's experience, height, youth, hardness and a bit of style in the emergencies and fringe players listed.

A fully fit squad and a long, slow preseason buildup will be the key. We will be hard to beat imo.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
Just a reminder that we ALWAYS pick seven defenders, there is always one on the bench. So the likelyhood that Taz, Grimes, Balta and Broad would be playing on field together would be minimal. Broad is critical to our defensive set up as he frees up Grimes (and Vlaustin) to intercept, as well as being a decent intercept now himself.

So that's five, Rioli and Stack now do the clean up work (7) which really does free up Baker and Short to be used further up the ground where their kicking is really needed. I agree that if Short does stay back it give the flexibility of Stack further up the ground also. I think there are benefits to both. I really think Baker is too good for the backline. He is super creative, brave and a 360 degree player. I'd like to see him do a full preseason with the mids, roving along with Prestia as Prestia winds down to a quality not quantity player like Cotch. Prestia, Baker and Shai make up a pretty formidable small on ball troupe.

McIntosh might not be a great user of the ball but he's very strong, runs all day and is rarely beaten one on one. I think he still has a mortgage on one wing. I don't know where that leaves Pickett who basically plays the same role. Dimma likes his big strong defensive wingers. Parker is probably the third in line for that wing spot also and provides a hard contest with the ability to go forward and hit the scoreboard. Parker really is depth cover tho. Short up the ground really does provide some better ball use we've been screaming out for.

When you consider that RCD/Ross/Martyn will all get inside mid game time off the bench it means some good players resting at times or missing out. If we get Prestia, Cotch, Edwards, Lambert all fit and firing in the same team and a very hungry Martin returning then the squeeze is on and I feel we can really bounce back strong.

I like Lynch at CHF and Jack close to goals using his smarts. Once Soldo is fit enough I think he becomes the No1 tap ruck and then Nank's job is to play the foil tall forward where he's always good for a goal or two and not being outmarked and then come in and impact in the ruck late in quarters. Nank would easily be in the top 2/3 second rucks in the competition. Extends his career too. What a weapon.

I suspect Dusty will come back to full fitness leaner and meaner and with a lot to prove (I know, crazy right). I think he and they will recognise that against some teams (Demons, Dogs, Cats, Lions) he will play midfield more to win contested ball and drift forward, whereas against teams that are more vulnerable he will play mostly near goal. That forward setup with Jack, Lynch and Dusty still looks frightening for defenders. Adding some mobile class up forward like Edwards/Cotchin/Lambo at their feet would be an upgrade on what Aarts/Castagna have been producing.

Throwing Caddy in as the medium tall 7th forward for his marking and goal kicking becomes more possible now that the rules have changed and small defensive forwards teeth have been blunted. I've always believed class around goal is imperative and as their careers wind down Edwards/Cotchin/Lambert become more valuable with their calm heads and experience around goal.

Grimes Tarrant Rioli
Vlaustin Balta Stack
Short Graham McIntosh
Lambert Lynch Bolton
Cotchin Reiwoldt Edwards

Soldo Martin Prestia

Broad Nankervis RCD Baker

Sub: Dow

Emerg: Pickett Ross Ralph Miller

D: Castagna, Aarts, Martyn Parker Caddy Cumberland and Samson Ryan.

That's 34. I haven't included Garth, Egg or any other unproven players.

Plus add in two or three quality first round midfielders and two or three quality young KPP's over the next two drafts and we look pretty strong in most areas of the park.

Assuming everyone is fit, the starting 22 is an embarrassment of riches really when you look at other teams. It's really a starting 25 or 26 and that's with Chol.and CCJ not even in the mix.

Defence is very strong and with a great mix of experience and flair. Rioli has a new lease of life and is showing that his best footy maybe in front of him. Stack could really be anything. Still only 21 keep him in defence until he's stable, playing consistant footy and then weaponise him where needed. I wasn't keen on Talia at all but Taz is an upgrade on Astbury. If we can get two solid season out of him then it's a big win. The other defenders have the runs on the board whilst Miller continues to develop as backup. Too big, fast and skilled not to be given every chance for when Taz is done. 200cm guys who run 2.91 for 20m and can kick are worth persevering with. He will be a cornerstone defender at 25.

The midfield is working-class but only really lacks class when either Dusty or Shai aren't in there. Prestia, Cotch, Lambert and Edwards being in the 22 and impacting on ball if/when needed to support Baker, Graham, Short, Macca and RCD is a strong mix when combined with our A/B+ graders, used sparingly and as needed for impact. I have high hopes for Dow with his slick hands and moves.

The forward line, if it lined up like this is just plain scary on paper. Especially if Nank or Soldo also rest/drift forward. (Nank is also great help chopping out down back). Dusty, Shai, Cotch, Edwards and Lambert running onto loose balls and working in close together around goals is tantalising. No more Castagna and Aarts spraying shots all over the arc. Caddy is also deadly with ball in hand should he play forward.

The bench is decent quality and there's experience, height, youth, hardness and a bit of style in the emergencies and fringe players listed.

A fully fit squad and a long, slow preseason buildup will be the key. We will be hard to beat imo.

What i think is one of the most, if not the most, important and difficult discussions the coaches need to have this pre-season is how much they realistically believe each of our aging stars will play next season.

In particular, this will really guide our planning for our midfield. If we think Prestia and Cotchin can only optimistically, string together 5 or 6 games before they need to rest or recover from injury then we need to plan for a good chunk of the season with their absence. Similarly, if they wish to rest Grimes, Jack and Dusty at times, they need to seriously consider their replacements starting with proven talent rather than raw draftees.

I love everything you've suggested above expect for that question - who really are our long term backups and replacements for Cotchin and Prestia? Both are injury prone, both are unreliable and both are still streaks ahead of most other midfielders on our list in terms of ability and leadership. I think Baker could be a decent backup to Prestia. He would need to improve his fitness considerably and learn how to two-way run like Prestia does, but he has the skills and fight to learn the role. Cotchin is under rated - Ross can play his role but Cotchin is a human battering ram when it matters most. Can Ross learn to attack the contest with the same furiousity? He certainly has the size.

There is seemingly an eternal debate about the best position for Stack and Short. I can see the benefits of having our better ball users behind to deliver the ball, threading the ball through traffic or kicking it long over the oppositions zone. I really do feel Stack is a more natural forward though and is so dangerous around goal. Where he is great with his footskills moving out of defense; his evasive movement, his leap, his toughness tackling, his vision and his X-Factor around goal, is where he could really be dangerous. He has shown this every time he has been moved forward.

Short on the wing would work as long as he can improve his fitness and he can improve his over head marking ability. Say what you like about McIntosh's footskills, he really is an athlete who can move back into our defense for support one minute while racing up to win the ball forward the next. His overhead marking and strength is also an asset. Short has incredible footskills but he lacks the long run and marking McIntosh has. For this reason, I still feel like Short plays better off the half back to help us move it out of defense.

I agree that our list is still one of the strongest in the league when they are all fit. We just have to be aware that they won't be fit collectively, as regularly as they once were and plan for this.

RichmondEshays

Senior List
Sep 9, 2017
Grog Squad, Standing Area, MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Larissa
The amount of 30+ year old players I’m seeing in these lineups is incredible. grimes, cotch, edwards, jack, dusty, tarrant, pickett and lynch and prestia 29 next year. In 4 years time when all these blokes retire I’m concerned that our 22 isn’t gonna have enough games in them because they’re not playing now. Gotta slowly start easing the older lads to play less so the kids like RCD, Ross, Dow,Rioli, Ralphsmith, Martyn etc get a gig

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
The amount of 30+ year old players I’m seeing in these lineups is incredible. grimes, cotch, edwards, jack, dusty, tarrant, pickett and lynch and prestia 29 next year. In 4 years time when all these blokes retire I’m concerned that our 22 isn’t gonna have enough games in them because they’re not playing now. Gotta slowly start easing the older lads to play less so the kids like RCD, Ross, Dow,Rioli, Ralphsmith, Martyn etc get a gig
It's not a problem that they are in there, the problem will be if they are in there and the kids aren't.
And if they are in there together, the older blokes need to (gradually) transition out of the key roles to give the kids time in there, especially positive if they have the support out there of the older players.

If we just leave the old blokes in the key roles and the kids only play fringe positions or limited games, then I agree, we will be in trouble in 3 years.

Sadly last year, I reckon Dimma held on a little too long or brought back older players into key roles a little too early and it cost us a little.

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
These threads are my favourite. Especially when lists havent been lodged for season 2022.

B: Rance Grimes Vlastuin
HB: Rampe Tarrant Short
C: Martin Bontempelli Hartlett
HF: Baker Riewoldt Casboult
F: Lynch Edwards #1 pick
R: Nankervis Prestia Cotchin

B: Finlayson Lambert Graham Curnow

Everyone else can GAGF

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond

You're right about needing to find and play these players replacements moving forward. Due to injury, this has been happening quite regularly over the past two seasons. These teams are not about our future side though, they are about our best available side. Those players over 30, I've placed their potential replacements in brackets next to them -

Backline
FB: Grimes
(Garthwaite or DP) Tarrant (Miller) Rioli
HB: Vlaustin Balta Broad
HHB: Baker

Midfield
C: Short Graham McIntosh

Forwardline
HHF: Lambert
(Martyn)
HF: Stack Lynch Bolton
FF: Reiwoldt
(Ryan) Martin

Foll: Soldo Cotchin
(Ross) Prestia

Bench: Nankervis RCD Ralphsmith Edwards
(Dow)

Obviously, we will have new players join the squad via free trade, free agency and the draft who will step up and be ready to replace our more experienced players when they retire but we still have time. We don't need to rebuild and throw out our best players quite yet just because they are 30+.

They are not done yet and either is our era of success.

DannyS

Debutant
Aug 10, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Can’t come up with best starting 22 for first but game just excited for the season. Am I the only one that’s sees a lot of Oliver in Thompson Dow. A bit of muscle and he is going to be class this kid. I also hope RCD is played every week in a variety of positions to trial if needed but he can be anything. MRJ will be a star, he is still very young but so much upside. Ralphsmith, Biggy and then at least 4/5 quality top 30 picks with a couple of talls!!!!. You don’t want to prematurely retire champions but you have to play Dow, RCD etc .... it’s an exciting list already. Upset about CCJ but time to move on now. His loss.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Can’t come up with best starting 22 for first but game just excited for the season. Am I the only one that’s sees a lot of Oliver in Thompson Dow. A bit of muscle and he is going to be class this kid. I also hope RCD is played every week in a variety of positions to trial if needed but he can be anything. MRJ will be a star, he is still very young but so much upside. Ralphsmith, Biggy and then at least 4/5 quality top 30 picks with a couple of talls!!!!. You don’t want to prematurely retire champions but you have to play Dow, RCD etc .... it’s an exciting list already. Upset about CCJ but time to move on now. His loss.
Reckon TDow will be a star for us...beautiful mover and distributor of the footy...just needs some size about him same as MRJ...

Back