ffwds--- Martin----Nank ---- Baker

rucks --Soldo---RCD---- Prestia

iter --- lynch--- Graham ---Cotchin---Edwrads --Lambert
SO WHY ARE WE GETTING TARRANT, VFL DUTIES :tearsofjoy:

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Dont think we'll draft a best 22 player so I'll have a crack. This is what I'd like to see but realistically I reckon Soldo will probably play 2nd ruck and Balta will stay back. Kmac probably deserves to start before Hugo but hopefully he take sbig steps in pre season.

Fb: Broad, Grimes Vlastuin
Hb: Rioli, Tarrant, Mansell
C: Ralphsmith, Prestia, Short
Hf: Lambert, Balta, Riewoldt
Ff: Stack, Lynch, Baker
R: Nankervis, Dusty, Bolton
I: Graham, Edwards, Cotchin, RCD
Emg from: Miller, Dow, Parker, Pickett, Kmac, Ross, Castagna, Soldo

Either way it looks like a ******* strong team. Hard to see us not contending if we stay relatively fit.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Broad - Tarrant - Grimes
Vlaustin - Balta - Short
McIntosh - Cotchin - Pickett
Lambert - Riewoldt - Martin
Bolton - Lynch - Stack
Nank - Prestia -Edwards

Graham - RCD - Soldo - Rioli - Baker

Would like to see Balta let loose if Broad, Tarrant & Grimes are covering key forwards

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
So just a question about our starting 22 - Do you feel we should play any of our new draftees in round one? For me, no matter how strong they appear at underage level, I don't think a new recruit should ever appear in the senior side early in any season.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
So just a question about our starting 22 - Do you feel we should play any of our new draftees in round one? For me, no matter how strong they appear at underage level, I don't think a new recruit should ever appear in the senior side early in any season.
if they are good enough AND they have earnt it, of course they play...

Nothing worse than earning a spot, but simply not getting picked because it's your first year. What message does it send to the kids in pre-season, doesn't matter how good you go, you won't get picked...???

It's just as bad selecting a kid that hasn't earnt it as well though

Moppey

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
B: Grimes 193cm 91kg - Miller 198/96kg - Vlaustin 187/88kg
HB: Stack 179cm 75kg - Tarrant 196cm 96kg - Broad 192cm 89kg

C: Rioli 179cm 77kg - Martin 187cm 91kg - Lambert 178cm 77kg /Ralphsmith 188/83kg
R: Soldo 204cm 106kg - RC-D 191cm 90kg - Prestia 175cm 82kg

HF: Baker 173cm 72kg - Balta 194/102kg - Edwards 182/78kg
F ; Bolton 175cm 77kg - Riewoldt 193cm 92kg - Lynch 199cm 98kg

Int: Nankervis 199cm 102kg - Graham 181cm 83 kg - Cotchin 185cm 85kg - Dow 183cm 77kg 7 games - Ross 187cm 85kg 29 games

We were all asking for Miller to get more games last year. if he is good enough then it is high time we regularly play him the advantages to this are so obvious.
Syd Stack to me was great in defense with a very good mix of attack hardness and defence.Imo he is clearly the best option in the club for the role.

It seems obvious to me that if Rioli can play running hb well then with his motor he can play wing.

Would dearly like to see Ralphsmith get a wing. With a much needed preseason into him and hopefully plenty of time in the gym to improve his size and strength his skills would be a big improvement to the team. Atm though i think Lambert our best option for the wing so im undecided. If Hugo improves then Lambert can play other roles for us.

RC-D well it is time to show the footy world what you can do. With a big pre season and hopefully a much improved motor will enable him to grab a regular starting spot.What he brings is badly needed and we need him to produce it more regularly.

Baker i like in the forward half with some midfield time. his lack of size has always been a concern for me when we play him in defence.
In fact the three smalls named in the fwd half are all freed up with midfield time, there are plenty of others who can rotate thru the fwd half with them.

Balta gives us that third tall option fwd and is a real point of difference to Tom and Jack. Miller establishing himself allows us this luxury and gives us real flexability on game day. It also means we have a bit of depth with tall fwds if he is played there.

Clearly we will go with the two big ruckmen and that is a good thing imo.

Thomson Dow a bit like Ralphsmith he looks real clean with ball in hand we need better users and a long preseason and plenty of time in the gym will give him needed size and strength to better compete at the level.

Finally our first pick in the nd if it is Hobbs then he would have to come under consideration.

Those who played most games last yr but miss out in the above and make room for the younger brigade are Short, McIntosh, Pickett, Aarts, Castagna,
and then theres the retired Houli, Astbury

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond

C: Rioli 179cm 77kg - Martin 187cm 91kg - Lambert 178cm 77kg /Ralphsmith 188/83kg

Int: Nankervis 199cm 102kg - Graham 181cm 83 kg - Cotchin 185cm 85kg - Dow 183cm 77kg 7 games - Ross 187cm 85kg 29 games

We were all asking for Miller to get more games last year. if he is good enough then it is high time we regularly play him the advantages to this are so obvious.
Syd Stack to me was great in defense with a very good mix of attack hardness and defence.Imo he is clearly the best option in the club for the role.

It seems obvious to me that if Rioli can play running hb well then with his motor he can play wing.

Would dearly like to see Ralphsmith get a wing. With a much needed preseason into him and hopefully plenty of time in the gym to improve his size and strength his skills would be a big improvement to the team. Atm though i think Lambert our best option for the wing so im undecided. If Hugo improves then Lambert can play other roles for us.

RC-D well it is time to show the footy world what you can do. With a big pre season and hopefully a much improved motor will enable him to grab a regular starting spot.What he brings is badly needed and we need him to produce it more regularly.

Baker i like in the forward half with some midfield time. his lack of size has always been a concern for me when we play him in defence.
In fact the three smalls named in the fwd half are all freed up with midfield time, there are plenty of others who can rotate thru the fwd half with them.

Balta gives us that third tall option fwd and is a real point of difference to Tom and Jack. Miller establishing himself allows us this luxury and gives us real flexability on game day. It also means we have a bit of depth with tall fwds if he is played there.

Thomson Dow a bit like Ralphsmith he looks real clean with ball in hand we need better users and a long preseason and plenty of time in the gym will give him needed size and strength to better compete at the level.

Finally our first pick in the nd if it is Hobbs then he would have to come under consideration.

Those who played most games last yr but miss out in the above and make room for the younger brigade are Short, McIntosh, Pickett, Aarts, Castagna,
I like the thinking. Especially Martin in the guts. Perhaps a side for a preseason game (especially Miller). My feeling is they will continue with Rioli back. Personally I'd prefer Stack forward and Kmac holds his wing. A better user would be nice though.
Starting Cotch on the bench. Well, I guess he's no longer the Capt!

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Jayden Short is twentyfive and should play, 100 percent

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
HB: Grimes, Balta, Broad
B: Vlastuin, Tarrant, Rioli

Depth
1. Stack
2. Mansall
3. Miller

C: McIntosh, Cotchin, Edwards
R: Soldo, Prestia, Baker

Depth
1. RCD
2. Dow
3. Ross

HF: Lambert, Lynch, Bolton
F: Riewoldt, Martin, Castanga

Depth
1. Rioli
2. Ralphsmith

B: Pickett, Nankveris, Graham, Castanga

From this team roll-out

1. Our defence looks really good. We lost Vlastuin, Balta, Broad and Houli for an extended period of time - all at once.

Tarrant is an upgrade on Astbury, Rioli and Stack can fight for Houli's position and Broad's return can free up Grimes to move up the ground and cut off offensive bursts from the opposition.

2. Our Midfield is full of red flags. Prestia, Lambert, Cotchin and Graham all immensely prone to injury. Guaranteed each of them will miss MINIMUM 5 games next year due to injury. Whether Cotchin's hamstring is tender, Prestia's Calf, Lambert's hip or Graham's shoulder falls off - our midfield is our Achilles heel. We need Ross, Dow and RCD to genuinely step up - we also need something else and this is where I love the discussion of Baker becoming a midfielder.

Hes hard as nails, our bsckline is strong, and I just see Baker transitioning into the midfield role so smoothly. How do you feel about Baker moving to the midfield? Had one ripper game playing in the guys where he collected 33 touches, think he's ready.

3. Jack and Tom are lacking mobility and agility.They get neutralised in the air, Tom is twisted into a pretzel because he can't turn a corner - we need some strength and speed within the forward group. Now that Dusty is 30, I feel it's time he transitions to a forward, who can rotate through the midfield.

There's a lot to work with here, looking at this list, it's a smart move to reload and go again in 2022. We need some reliability and some luck in the midfield, and hoping we can bring in some quality tactical coaches and developmental coaches to tighten up our game style and progress RCD, Dow, Ross and Miller.

What's your starting 22?
the tzatziki is strong on this one. too early except for the stackman who should play forwards.
i know I sound like a broken record but gee I've been saying it ever since his first game in the forward line. he has a sense for goals, like a Jedi master in training.

TigerPaul71

Tiger chef for life
Aug 19, 2020
Bendigo
AFL Club
Richmond
Dont think we'll draft a best 22 player so I'll have a crack. This is what I'd like to see but realistically I reckon Soldo will probably play 2nd ruck and Balta will stay back. Kmac probably deserves to start before Hugo but hopefully he take sbig steps in pre season.

Fb: Broad, Grimes Vlastuin
Hb: Rioli, Tarrant, Mansell
C: Ralphsmith, Prestia, Short
Hf: Lambert, Balta, Riewoldt
Ff: Stack, Lynch, Baker
R: Nankervis, Dusty, Bolton
I: Graham, Edwards, Cotchin, RCD
Emg from: Miller, Dow, Parker, Pickett, Kmac, Ross, Castagna, Soldo

Either way it looks like a ******* strong team. Hard to see us not contending if we stay relatively fit.
I Like this team
Balta might still go back?
Solo in as well 2 rucks for me
they don't get any smaller worked well in 2020
how do you get some of these young guys playing, need to take the risk.
who comes out, Lambert, really want ross to play in middle.
think maybe ralphsmith waits a little longer
Some tough choices ahead for the coach, glad I'm not him
He will have to change..
Love it!!

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Usually ******* useless at these but I'll give a crack
FB: Grimes Tarrant Broad
HB: DRioli Balta Vlas
C: Kmac Pickett Short
HF: Edwards Jack Lambert
FF: Martin Lynch Bolton
Foll: Nank Prestia Cotch
I/C: Mansell Graham Soldo Baker
SUB: Ross

I know I have missed George and he is a walk on certainty, however this team I have picked is based on the dual players. Baker, Bolton, Rioli and Martin all have at least 2 areas on the ground they can play and I think we have always looked better when we had the Soldo/Nank ruck combo.

I know I have missed George and he is a walk on certainty, however this team I have picked is based on the dual players. Baker, Bolton, Rioli and Martin all have at least 2 areas on the ground they can play and I think we have always looked better when we had the Soldo/Nank ruck combo.
Stack is a lock

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond

You must believe Pickett is going to have a massive preseason to start him in the centre. Not sure Mansell is in before Stack (unless you feel Stacky is going off the rails?) But if you are putting dual position as a priority, Stack gets the nod easily there too

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
You must believe Pickett is going to have a massive preseason to start him in the centre. Not sure Mansell is in before Stack (unless you feel Stacky is going off the rails?) But if you are putting dual position as a priority, Stack gets the nod easily there too

It's Pickett's best spot.

Should tag Walsh keep belting him

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Broad - Tarrant - Grimes
Vlaustin - Balta - Short
McIntosh - Cotchin - Pickett
Lambert - Riewoldt - Martin
Bolton - Lynch - Stack
Nank - Prestia -Edwards

Graham - RCD - Soldo - Rioli - Baker

Would like to see Balta let loose if Broad, Tarrant & Grimes are covering key forwards
Yep. This would be my team, with the only starting change being Dusty to onball centre bounce start, moving Shedda to the HFF.
Also, I see your point with Balta, but prefer him to continue his role and Grimes be the intercepting marshalling role.

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This is what I want to see:

Grimes - Tarrant - Broad
Vlastuin - Balta - Short
Dow - Ross - Lambert
Edwards - Riewoldt - Bolton
D. Rioli - Lynch - Caddy
Nankervis - Martin - Prestia

Soldo - Cotchin - Graham - RCD

emg/ Baker - Stack - McIntosh - Pickett

Why the omission of Baker and Stack? Only cause I can’t pick everyone and I personally wanna see Rioli back to his best as a small forward (what I THINK is gonna happen though is that he’ll fall out of the team as a half back and will go to Essendon in 2023). Caddy I also wanna see given another chance in the forward line.

But yeah, that’s our best back 6 and, with Rioli in the side, he can swing back if need be.

Deep midfield with Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton, Graham, Lambert, Dow, Ross, RCD, that’s 10 players capable of midfield.

Still a bit worried about the midfield this season, despite all our injuries last year. Cotchin looked done as a pure midfielder but I’m hoping a freshen up and losing the captaincy burden reinvigorates him. Dusty is more a forward but I feel should be more a mid like in 2017. Maybe his slimmer self will play more midfield. Prestia, can he stay on the park? Edwards I think will be fine, he was wrecked by injuries last year. The rest are decent but need the previously mentioned guys fit and firing, alone they’re in big trouble. The last three, Dow, Ross and RCD, I have hope they’ll improve a bit, Dow suddenly Foley-like, Ross back to 2019 form and then improved upon that, and RCD perhaps a +5 to his average disposals (that for Graham too would be nice), we can hope hey.

Still wish we’d have managed a Ward or Hobbs type, reckon they’ll be killing it from day 1 in the AFL.

Back