Up the Coasters Our Stories of the 2018 Grandfinal

Remove this Banner Ad

After the Port win, I booked Flexi flights and accommodation . When we qualified , I relied on the ballot . I lucked out and got 2x seats through the ballot at ground level near the 50m arc through the kindness of someone on here (I was willing to pay them for the trouble , but all they wanted was a beer . I got them a carton) . I also ended up getting a single cat 6 ticket through the ballot (from my own p2 membership) which I sold at face value .

My trip was from Thursday to Sunday:
-Wore my eagles ugly sweater , beanie and scarf on the flight and all day on Thursday . Got lots of comments whilst out and about /doing some shopping and meeting up with friends.
-Friday - went to the GF parade in the rain decked in my long sleeved guernsey and eagles hoodie . Got there an hour early and found an amazing vantage point (at the front ) midway along the parade route and stood our ground even when it was raining heavily . Had a blast . Went to the AFL live event after the parade and boy , do Pies supporters give our mob a run for our money in the booing stakes . Had one of the best toasties I’ve ever tasted , and waved our scarves in glee . Face paint and all .
Went to the AFL store on Elizabeth Street , and then (yes , in hindsight , I don’t know what I was thinking!) ventured into Collingwood decked in full eagles gear to check out a Harry Potter store and get dinner /drinks .
-Saturday - was struggling to sleep due to being a bundle of nervous energy anyway , so woke up early , set a new personal record for number of items of eagles merchandise worn at the same time (20) and dragged the other half off to brunch and shopping (what better way to overcome the nerves than to give the credit card a workout ). Dropped the stuff back in the hotel and set out for the MCG . Got there a couple of hours early to settle in . What a atmosphere! We were on the aisle of an eagles section , but the section next to us was pies territory .

If I was nervous in the buildup to the game , that was nothing compared to how I felt in the hour before bouncedown . Felt physically sick with excitement :) . Took lots of photos. Felt sick in a different way once the game started . I’m usually more of a glass half full than half empty supporter but will admit that I gave up after they kicked the first 5.
The rest is history :)
I lost my voice from screaming so much .

-Saturday night /Sunday - I also loved hugging /hi-fiving/chatting to/generally celebrating with total strangers both at the game , and afterwards. Memories to last a lifetime :) . My respect for pies fans grew because despite the booing in the lead up , they took the defeat graciously , even though we remained decked out in eagles merch whilst partying the night away on Saturday (after traditional post-match burgers ) and then wandering the cbd on Sunday (picked up some more premiership merchandise )

-Sunday night /Monday - I came back to the reality of long hours and being understaffed and busy at work on Monday morning but have continued to wear eagles merch at work to brighten my day . I’m still smiling almost 4 weeks on.

I didn’t think 2006 (which I watched alone as a teenager from my parents’ home theatre ) could be topped because of the fact that it followed the 2005 heartbreak , but I was wrong :)
I had the time of my life at my first interstate final , let alone GF

Last edited:
Went to the Duke of Wellington pub in Melb for Eagles pre-game function.
The Q-Stick was on the panel...still doeesn't mind dropping the F-bomb in public.
Right at the end, he says he caught up with Steele Sidebottom prior in Perth.
Sidebottom said he was shitting it that he would be tagged by Hutch in GF....you campaigners know what happened next.

In 2015 my wife attended her first AFL Grand Final and when the final siren blew she was in tears, tears of disappointment and frustration. Come 2018 we're back there praying we don't get a repeat of 3 years earlier. After the final siren this time I turn to embrace her and the tears are there again, but this time they're tears of joy and relief.

Last edited:

In 2015 my wife attended her first AFL Grand Final and when the final siren blew she was in tears, tears of disapp6and frustration. Come 2018 we're back there praying we don't get a repeat of 3 years earlier. After the final siren this time I turn to embrace her and the tears are there again, but this time they're tears of joy and relief.
My wife was crying too because she knew it meant a premiership guernsey, dvd, cap, stubbie holder, me talking about how *en good we are all off season, booking holidays for when we go back 2 back, watching the replay 7 times already, reminding her that her team sucks (Crows) etc etc

Poor thing :moustache:

Well it definitely is more than just a game I hadn't talked to my brother for 2 Years, mainly from both been so stubborn. Well he gave me a call to congratulate me on the win..........Not bad from an Essesdon supporter and it looks like I'm still the most stubborn prick in the family !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back