Analysis Our structure, game plan and list management for the flag going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Everyone's right to speculate, I'm not part of the inner sanctum at the club, so we have a forum to speculate on.

BF posters are not completely devoid of any football knowledge otherwise BF wouldn't exist, again we can only speculate on what evidence we have in front of us.

So what is you're speculation on how the club should go about moving toward that flag(s)? Or are you in the do nothing camp and thinly veil an attempt to pot shot the op?

Consider the evidence of the team performance over the year(s) to make your speculation, or continue to pot shot - your choice.

Pot shot? Are you talking about me or confessing the intent (see what I did there) of your post?

Speculate away, but it's hard to derive your intent (see what I did there... again) when you (apparently) speculatively make so many definitive statements about what people think

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Pot shot? Are you talking about me or confessing the intent (see what I did there) of your post?

Speculate away, but it's hard to derive your intent (see what I did there... again) when you (apparently) speculatively make so many definitive statements about what people think

Yes I'll speculate away because it's a forum y'know where posters like you and me (see what I did there) speculate. My intent will, has not and will not have any baring on how the team performs.

So you don't need to know my intent, but you and I and everyone else knows what the clubs intent is.

Aug 6, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would love to see Bucks completely throw things around next week, heavily rotate degoey through middle to ascend with centre clearances, elliot forward, low scrubbing chaos balls into the fwd 50 followed up with intense forward pressure not allowing the Eagles to intercept aerially, intimidating force on the ball, bumps, niggles, on the edge, throw the kitchen sink at the eagles for what might be the last hurrah this season

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Would love to see Bucks completely throw things around next week, heavily rotate degoey through middle to ascend with centre clearances, elliot forward, low scrubbing chaos balls into the fwd 50 followed up with intense forward pressure not allowing the Eagles to intercept aerially, intimidating force on the ball, bumps, niggles, on the edge, throw the kitchen sink at the eagles for what might be the last hurrah this season
The team will throw everything at them, like against port. Will they also change game style like you're suggesting? Who knows I hope so.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not from what we've seen this season or past seasons, Bucks doesn't like change

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
So close in '18 with a team that carried a 3rd rate (supposedly) backline, we were riddled with injuries all season and fought our guts out as a team, with the tiniest smidgen of good - or even not bad - luck we would have beat the Eagles.
That answered the question for me . . Buckley can coach. However things have gone sideways since opposition teams started countering our swarm.
Getting a top end KPF is a lovely dream but I doubt we are in a position to land one so we are better off grooming young Will, picking up a rookie prospect and targeting a few genuinely talented crumbers.
We have lacked true crumbing forwards for far too long - they are out there but we haven't targeted them.
The club needs to get the bear right or move him on whilst he has currency. Our current inside mid situation is too damn thin with only Tay really good inside.
We desperately need a decent FULL TIME ruck coach.
We desperately need a decent FULL TIME kicking/forward coach.
Just finding and appointing those two coaches could - partially at least - transform the team by itself.
Admin needs to be more hands on with recruiting also, we have to get our cap right and start addressing weaknesses as we limp from year to year on the edge of competitiveness.
The other sore point for me is we have this obsession as a club with being the nice guy with trades and our responses to the AFL.
Time for that to stop - way beyond time for that to stop.
Hardly a week goes by when the club doesn't swallow it's pride and pretend either other clubs or the AFL aren't bending us over.
Club needs to stop cringing and allow itself to be strong in it's dealings.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
In retrospect our drafting since the '10 flag side has been sub standard - not by much - but we have lost ground on the league wide competition incrementally year after year.
Whilst it is bad luck with Freeman and Shaz and lost Swanny too early due to a freak accident we have always seemed to be trying to plug holes in a basically good list.
List management needs to be improved by seeking to cover upcoming needs 4 or 5 years down the track instead of trying to make someone fit a role they are not fit for.

Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I do love it when these sorts of threads come up. Does anyone actually know if these guys are good - bad - indifferent coaches or are we just putting 2+2 together and coming up with Einstein's theory of relativity?

Ditto game plan?

My guess is that most are much like myself, completely devoid of any factual knowledge to either question.

Some see a silly handball in congestion and assume it's the game plan or a coaching directive, I see a silly handball in congestion and see a conditioned response that has been ingrained into the vast majority of players since juniors. I think the answer likely lies somewhere in between.

You can often tell quite a bit about the genotype when you examine the phenotype.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You can often tell quite a bit about the genotype when you examine the phenotype.

Takes me back to my Bachelor of Public Health days. Thanks, I needed to revisit the nightmare of trying to work full time while studying full time....

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would argue the 22 has holes that need addressing.

KPF who is well rounded can mark on lead or compete in the contest 1v1 and reliable goal kicker etc.
Pacey burst mid with power.
More midfield pace in general including wingers in this.
Genuine extractor with a big body.
X-factor crumbing creative fwds who can ALSO provide pressure (L.Davis, C.Rioli, S.Milne, E.Betts types), not workhorse role playing smalls who only provide pressure (aka Blair Thomas C.Brown etc).

I guess you could argue a deck chair reshuffle and we could address some of it, but then we open holes up elsewhere.

Maynard and Degoey added to midfield rotations would add a powerful dynamic.
Degoey 60/40 split fwd/mid and Maynard full time.
Moore to FF adds the missing KPF who is well rounded.
Treloar moved to wing.
Maynard and Degoey added to midfield rotations would add a powerful dynamic. with the emergence of Noble and Q. and the hopeful return of Howe i think that we can afford to let one of Maynard or Crisp into the centre. i can even see maynard playing defensive wing. if he can build the tank up. which then allows us to free up cap space and trade phillips or the end of next year Mayne contract expires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back