Analysis Our TEN best players and only ten

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree Hudson was best full forward ever and Bartlett was soooooooo overrated. I'd have Billy Goggin ahead of KB ANyone who doesn;t at least consider Robbie Flower never saw him play - the most skilled player this side of Daicos
Robert Flower was fantastic - so skilled and a real star.

Hudson fantastic full forward.

Sorry KB wasn’t over rated, exceptional in finals games too.

My favourite Collingwood players I've watched in my lifetime (started watching games consistently in '05) -

Nathan Buckley
Dane Swan
Leon Davis
Anthony Rocca
Scott Pendlebury
Trav Cloke
Paul Medhurst
Dale Thomas
Alan Didak
Jordan De Goey

Not in any order:
* Pendlebury
*Sidebottom
* Treloar
* Grundy
* Adams
* De Goey
* Stephenson
* Moore
* Maynard
* Langdon

.... that was fairly easy.

Best in my living memory?...
1) Daicos
2) Buckley
3) Swan
4) Pendles
5) Gav Brown
6) Millane
7) Clement
8) Burns
9) Didak
10) Choco Williams

I was going to include Daisy.... but then I remembered that he was a c#%t.

I'll bow to your better judgement. As a kid I was a big Mckenna fan and I simply knew that when Price got it, McKenna was in the frame to receive the ball - it's probably colored my judgement. I do have this horrid memory of Wayne taking a very good mark 35 out in the last quarter of the 73 Prelim and missing the set shot. I don't think I've ever got over it
I must admit, Price to McKenna was about the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in football.

Two beauties.

I’d probably have Richardson shade Price myself.
Caveat, I remember Wayne as a kid playing whilst Price is just a faded remembrance.
Ah saintly, price to McKenna a thing of beauty, one of the best passers l have seen.

Ah saintly, price to McKenna a thing of beauty, one of the best passers l have seen.
All worthy of being premiership players.

But it wasn’t to be.

• Jaidyn Stephenson
  • Jordan De Goey
  • Jamie Elliott
  • Brodie Grundy
  • Adam Treloar
  • Scott Pendlebury
  • Dayne Beams
  • Steele Sidebottom
  • Jack Crisp
  • Darcy Moore

Too me it's all system now

For our system to work
Best most important ten

Grundy. Provides first use and extra spread

Crisp mr consistency rarely beaten and only real attacking back
Maynard. Been tremendous in the hardest spot on the ground
Pendels does it all both ways
Treleor. Quality speed
Moore. Revelation down back
Mayne. 2 way runner great tackler super footy iq always provides options great disposal
De goey. Match winner
Mihochek certainly now the prototype mid sized pressure forward
Certainly suprised me
Roughy certainly doing the job
Our BACKLINE. Is great hence 4 get in
Mayneys had a better year than Sidey and Adams cox injured and howes had a slow start

Can't believe no one rates Mayne
Critical to our structure

I can go back to Bobby Skilton, Bobby Rose,
My old man saw lots of pies players but his list was

Leeter collier. Dad said best player ever to play

Bob rose

Thomo

Tuddy

Greening

Daicos

Picken

Price

McKenna

Weed
My dad would agree re Leeter - VERY hard man but that didn't stop him being talented and effective.
In fact that entire 4pete backline were a fearsome UNIT.

Top 10 pure skills on our list?

• S Pendlebury
  • D Wells
  • W Hoskin-Elliott
  • D Beams
  • M Scharenberg
  • T Varcoe
  • B Reid
  • S Sidebottom
  • D Moore
  • J De Goey
I’m sure there’s arguments for others but the two standouts for that pure skill is Pendlebury and Wells.
Hoskin-Elliott might also be a spot behind them, but he reeks pure skill.

No Elliott in the pure skills list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry KB wasn’t over rated, exceptional in finals games too.

I hated the little balding campaigner with a passion, but agree, absurd to call him over-rated. He was in the best handful of midfielders in the game for the best part of a decade, before becoming an elite small forward in his later years...

Besides, you change the rules of the game to nullify only the truly great. Its happened 3 times in my lifetime:

1. Change in the holding the ball rule to nullify the great KB
2. Change to the hands in the back rule to nullify the great James Clement
3. Change in the ruck rules to nullify the great Stunning Steve McKee

I hated the little balding campaigner with a passion, but agree, absurd to call him over-rated. He was in the best handful of midfielders in the game for the best part of a decade, before becoming an elite small forward in his later years...

Besides, you change the rules of the game to nullify only the truly great. Its happened 3 times in my lifetime:

And just a lit tid bit on KB

For every 10 kicks he then gave off 1 handball.
That’s his real numbers.

4. Change in the blanket holding rules got rid of Micky Gayfer...
5. Changes in the "interchange rotations" got rid of CFC after 2010!!! (and Swanny)

And just a lit tid bit on KB

For every 10 kicks he then gave off 1 handball.
That’s his real numbers.

KB played a lot of games. He also played a lot of games in a very POWERFUL team. He also got given so many soft possessions and free kicks for "holding the man" that he'd make Selwood and the other duckers look insignificant.
Your claim that he played very well in finals is sorta moot because Richmond won so many finals during that period (and usually by pretty big margins) that KB could look pretty good running past getting the cheapies and kicking goals when his team was already 8 goals up.

Craig Bradley is a pretty good comparison with KB. Consistently got his 30+ cheapies but waited for "The Dominator" to win the games for Carlton. KB had Barrott, Bourke, Clay, Dean, Stewart, Wood, Morris and Sheedy going and getting the ball and taking the heat to give it to him.
Yeah he could run...BUT

4. Change in the blanket holding rules got rid of Micky Gayfer...
5. Changes in the "interchange rotations" got rid of CFC after 2010!!! (and Swanny)
This may not be a popular opinion, but I wasn't a fan of Mick Gayfer, and basically felt that he was "cheating" (even though others e.g. Silvagni were doing the same thing). I doubt that many Geelong supporters lose sleep over J. Selwood's tactic of ducking to try and win frees, but it seems the umpires have finally started looking at that correctly, and I had no problem at all when the holding tactic that players got away with in Gayfer's day was taken out of the game.

If anything Bartlett is underrated
He certainly is by me. I have Bourke, Barrett Clay, Hart, Sheedy, Stewart ,Green, Raines, Cloke, Sproule and Dean ahead of him from his era and team. All of those players were more important to Richmond then Bartlett who was just the icing on top. I'll stick by my claim that he is overrated. BTW Royce Hart was the best player that Richmond have had in my lifetime

4. Change in I/C rotation rules to nullify Dane Swan.

He certainly is by me. I have Bourke, Barrett Clay, Hart, Sheedy, Stewart ,Green, Raines, Cloke, Sproule and Dean ahead of him from his era and team. All of those players were more important to Richmond then Bartlett who was just the icing on top. I'll stick by my claim that he is overrated. BTW Royce Hart was the best player that Richmond have had in my lifetime
I just can’t let this one pass.
In the most polite way possible I must ask, how is it in any way possible that Kevin Sheedy, Paul Sproule, David Cloke, Dick Clay, Barrett, Green, Dean, Raines are remotely more important or better than Kevin Bartlett?

Sorry I can’t see them in the same chapter let along same page as Kevin Bartlett.

Hart, Stewart, yes they live on the same page and were super stars, no doubt.

I’ve always wanted to know just how good Royce Hart was because when I was younger I was bemused that he was centre half-forward in the league team of the century despite only kicking around 380 career goals. He must have been truly dominant all across the forward half of the ground.

I just can’t let this one pass.
In the most polite way possible I must ask, how is it in any way possible that Kevin Sheedy, Paul Sproule, David Cloke, Dick Clay, Barrett, Green, Dean, Raines are remotely more important or better than Kevin Bartlett?

Sorry I can’t see them in the same chapter let along same page as Kevin Bartlett.

Hart, Stewart, yes they live on the same page and were super stars, no doubt.

Saint...you musta been at the races a lot when we were playing the Tiges. KB was a whinging little squib. He only played as many games as he did because he never got bruised (let alone injured) and because he could get away with the "dropping the ball" frees that were called "Bartlett's" back then. Don't think I ever saw him lay a tackle or a block or a shepherd, never saw him mark overhead or stand up for a team mate. He never needed to though in that side...they were seriously tough those 60's and 80's Tigers. KB was just like Terry Wheeler...he played for frees, got blokes frustrated by diving and squealing to the umps....You don't get a nickname like HUNGRY from your own team mates without a good reason!
The only book KB's on a page of is his own Autograph book!

Hart and Stewart and all those others absolutely romp on Kev.

Saint...you musta been at the races a lot when we were playing the Tiges. KB was a whinging little squib. He only played as many games as he did because he never got bruised (let alone injured) and because he could get away with the "dropping the ball" frees that were called "Bartlett's" back then. Don't think I ever saw him lay a tackle or a block or a shepherd, never saw him mark overhead or stand up for a team mate. He never needed to though in that side...they were seriously tough those 60's and 80's Tigers. KB was just like Terry Wheeler...he played for frees, got blokes frustrated by diving and squealing to the umps....You don't get a nickname like HUNGRY from your own team mates without a good reason!
The only book KB's on a page of is his own Autograph book!

Hart and Stewart and all those others absolutely romp on Kev.
So you’re saying that KB is exactly like he is today.

(I was very young with KB saw him in the tail end. I must admit I liked him as a player. But as he’s Richmond I’m not that fussed on him.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back