Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
As it stands this minute...

1) Jeremy Howe - he does all the flashy stuff, has all the tricks but what impressed me most was against Geelong when he beat Dangerfield one out on a number of occasions! Best interceptor in the game, strong 1 v1 and sets us up incredibly well going forward.

2) Brodie Grundy - wins his position week in week out, gets the tap but his disproportionally short legs mean he follows up on the deck better than any other. Has massive upside, yet still has a huge impact for us. Competes hardest when we need him to step up when the game is in the balance.

3) Scott Pendlebury - although I wouldn’t have him captain, he is one of the most damaging players in the league. Gets his 30 possessions, and they are 30 of the best every game. Rarely wastes it, and rarely gets caught in traffic. Sublime

4) Steel Sidebottom - a brilliant natural footballer. Plays well inside and out, scores at will. Tackles hard and plays hard. Should probably be higher on the list, the one knock on him (and I appear to be on my own) is that he lacks depth on his kicking and is prone to a clanger or two a game.

5) Adam Treloar - his gut running, breaking lines and ability to win the ball at the death is incredible. Drops down the list purely because of his kicking, Which I think is due to his gut running. Needs to be more composed and learn that you can move the ball quicker by using your mind and kicking it accurately... Although breaking lines is critical in today’s game!

Thoughts?

Not sure about rankings but think the names are probably about right. Not sure why you say you wouldn't have Pendles as captain though, who would you replace him with? I think he's grown into one of the game's better captains over the journey, although I think we probably gave him the position a bit prematurely I wouldn't take it off him now.

1) Jeremy Howe - he does all the flashy stuff, has all the tricks but what impressed me most was against Geelong when he beat Dangerfield one out on a number of occasions! Best interceptor in the game, strong 1 v1 and sets us up incredibly well going forward.

2) Brodie Grundy - wins his position week in week out, gets the tap but his disproportionally short legs mean he follows up on the deck better than any other. Has massive upside, yet still has a huge impact for us. Competes hardest when we need him to step up when the game is in the balance.

3) Scott Pendlebury - although I wouldn’t have him captain, he is one of the most damaging players in the league. Gets his 30 possessions, and they are 30 of the best every game. Rarely wastes it, and rarely gets caught in traffic. Sublime

4) Steel Sidebottom - a brilliant natural footballer. Plays well inside and out, scores at will. Tackles hard and plays hard. Should probably be higher on the list, the one knock on him (and I appear to be on my own) is that he lacks depth on his kicking and is prone to a clanger or two a game.

5) Adam Treloar - his gut running, breaking lines and ability to win the ball at the death is incredible. Drops down the list purely because of his kicking, Which I think is due to his gut running. Needs to be more composed and learn that you can move the ball quicker by using your mind and kicking it accurately... Although breaking lines is critical in today’s game!

Thoughts?
"although I wouldn’t have him captain" Clear leader and best one at the club.

• What do we mean by Best 5?
Are we saying 5 best players?

This years 5 best players?

Five most valuable players?

Not sure about rankings but think the names are probably about right. Not sure why you say you wouldn't have Pendles as captain though, who would you replace him with? I think he's grown into one of the game's better captains over the journey, although I think we probably gave him the position a bit prematurely I wouldn't take it off him now.
You are probably right about Pendles, he has definitely improved as captain since round 2. Still think the leader should be more of a Maxwell type, although he does lead well on the training field.

As for alternatives, I’d say Sidebottom

"although I wouldn’t have him captain" Clear leader and best one at the club.
I don’t know about that. Clear that he’s a leader but often wonder whether he’s a good captain if that makes sense. Hard to judge outside the group

Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Grundy
Treloar
De Goey

Grundy doesn't get enough taps to advantage. Usually drops it in short, giving the opposition a run at it. Second efforts though are second to none.
Treloar overrated. Generally takes a quarter just to get into the game. May be playing sore?
Sidebottom clear alternate Captain. From my limited view, does most of the talking in huddles.
Pendulbury master of the Tardis when up and running. A pleasure to watch.

I really struggle to find any four quarter players in the whole group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts?
i'd flip a coin for 5th. between Treloar and Phillips, and if he had played all the games i'd throw in Aish.

In no particular order:

Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Grundy
Treloar
Howe

De Goey keeps it up and he'll be top 5 by the end of the year.

The biggest hurt our club has is Elliott.

If he was healthy, like all the time, he’d be top 5 easy.

:)

Our 5 best players if they were always fit...

• Pendlebury
  • Wells
  • Elliott
  • Grundy
  • De Goey

Out Top 5 most likely to be “departed” at seasons end.

• Oxley
  • Blair
  • Mihocek
  • Smith
  • Kirby :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back