Review Our trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL website ranks our trade period performance at a 1 out of 10, 18th in the league. Even though I think this is an all time worst ever ranking from them for a club.. I still think they're being overly generous!
What’s worse is that any other future dealings will have all other club’s management knows our list manager is a lightweight. Will get continually screwed while he’s at the negotiation table

7-8 injuries would make this interesting and 7-8 is nothing compared to what we’ve had.
Not that I want a top 5 draft pick next year, first time in my life I don’t hold much hope for this group. This can only shatter the team culture, I hope somehow it unifies them but seeing guys treated like this is just wrong IMHO

looking forward to hearing what AT has to say, most likely play a straight bat

Pretty sure the deficit is deducted from the following years pick in the same round where the bid was made. So if a bid occurs in the second round and a deficit occurs it’s subtracted from the following year’s second rounder. Burning next years first to match a bid is a wasted opportunity; any sensible club would trade it out for a first in the year before or after.

Wonder if Gws would consider a swap of our future first for pick 13 and a handshake agreement not to bid on Reef (at 15)?

Based on the current draft order they seem the only team likely to bid.

We could then potentially pick up 3 first rounders (13,14,16) as well as Reef.

Last edited:
Spoken and authorised by E. McGuire

So you are happy with finishing 8th? Getting pantsed by Geelong in a Final?

Absolutely nowhere near Richmond and Geelong... get the rose coloured glasses off!
Hoping isn't going to make the team any better.

Culture of back-slapping and accepting mediocrity has expired. Time to get ruthless.

I guess that’s the hope, but I’m willing to bet GWS will screw us at pick 15 and bid on him. Just like they did with Quaynor.

That’s the only real danger IMO. If they don’t it’s a very real likelihood we will get through and end up with 2 first round players and Reef.

I'm more worried about the Bumbers. They desperately need a big inside mid and given they didn't get dunkley, McInnes could be on their shopping list.

I'm more worried about the Bumbers. They desperately need a big inside mid and given they didn't get dunkley, McInnes could be on their shopping list.

Yeah I don’t know about that.

Based on Reef’s atrocious time trial and obvious lack of endurance, I reckon he’s quite a few seasons away from playing proper midfield minutes.

He’ll probably start half forward similar to how Beamer did.

I reckon the bombers are after some plug and play options.

Why is everyone so worried? You are all forgetting one thing.

We still have Josh Thomas.

Why is everyone so worried? You are all forgetting one thing.

We still have Josh Thomas.
Shoot me now!

Pardon the intrusion pies people.

This is an excellent post. One of the best I’ve read. Two thirds of my family are loyal pies supporters. I know they feel the same way even if they couldn’t express it as well as this. Time to demand serious change. Good luck.
Cheers, appreciate the feedback! I’ll always love my club, but it’s time they realised that they’re not as big as think they are, and they don’t attract talent just on name alone.

I'm guessing that because of the large number of academy and father son selections, that hose later picks value might increase. So perhaps they are thinking they have enough once those picks come in.
How far they come in will depend on where the McInnes bid lands. If it's one of the first bids then other clubs won't have used their picks for points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was prepared to believe that the rumours we were trading out some quality players was a strategic decision to get into the draft this year and regear the list with some youth.

It's clear that based on the returns we received for our players we were in no position to negotiate and were forced to dump their salaries. I can only assume that was because, if we hadn't done so, we would have exceeded the salary cap.

How we allowed ourselves to get into that position with player contracts and salaries is difficult to comprehend. I can get it with one player, but that fire sale, that was something completely without precedence.

Someone, probably many someones, have catestrophically f’ed up to allow this. There had better some accountability for this.
We haven't been this bad off since Eddie bought the hotel down in Albert Park. What was it called again....?

We haven't been this bad off since Eddie bought the hotel down in Albert Park. What was it called again....?

The Beach Hotel. That was s**t. To me yesterday was devastating. I have never felt more low as a Collingwood supporter. I'm trying to be rationale about this and not fly off the handle requesting we burn the place down. But there needs to be accountability for this. Unfortunately I think that's beyond the current administration.

We'll end up trading for either one pick inside the top 10 and one later for this draft (maybe both) as well as trading next year's R1 pick for a R1 this year.

Reckon we will head in with Picks like 8, 16-20 and 25-30 when it's all said and done probably. Get two top 20 kids, match Reef and get out.
Best possible result from this horror show

The one MASSIVE QUESTION that remains unanswered by the Club through this train-wreck trade period is how the hell could the Board sign-off on offering GRUNDY a 7-year, $7 million extension less than one year ago?

At that point in time, anyone with even basic spreadsheeting skills could have seen that the Grundy deal would blow apart our salary cap. This catastrophic trade period was a certain outcome from the moment Grundy put pen to paper.

Allowing that deal to be tabled is an inexcusable failure of governance from our list management team and our Board. Their incompetence and negligence steered our ship straight into the path of the iceberg.

Talk about the flaws and rationale for trading Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips is just a smokescreen to draw attention away from the monumental and utterly damning failure in corporate governance.

A rival ticket needs to be formed and an Extraordinary General Meeting called to demand a spill of all Board positions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't know if I'm more dissapointed with the loss of key players for crap return, the mis-management of our list.......or how badly our spin doctors are!

Honestly, the hogwash they are saying regarding our desire to move back into the draft is appalling. We honestly got a pick 14 for our trouble and a future 2nd. In the mean-time, we gave away a pick 6 who is 21 years old. This was clearly salary dumping.

But we could have spun it differently. This is the approach I would have taken:

At the end of 2018, we decided we wanted to keep the core list together as the team was hungry for redemption. We felt that this group could take us to a flag after coming so close. Over the last 2 years, we've come close, but there have been a number of factors (some within our control, some out of our control) which have meant we have fallen just short.

We've ultimately gone from 2nd to 4th to 6th. Whilst we have been successful in retaining the key players, ultimately the list has remained relatively unchanged for 3 years now. In this business, if you stand still you are actually moving backwards.

We have a lot of good players. Everyone wants to say that we've over-paid our players, but there have been many other clubs willing to pay even more to take our stars off us. To the coaching teams credit, we have created an environment where players have wanted to stay loyal and earn ultimate success. Even the players who moved out today were happy to stay. This was ultimately a club led decision.

The problem is that 2018 is 3 years ago now. We feel that if we don't make changes to the list, that we'll continue to drop down the ladder. Unless we made some sacrifices, it was impossible for us to replenish the list. The sacrifices we have made means we can bring in new talent this year, and are well placed in the future to attack trade periods. This isn't a rebuild, it's just a new direction, and an acknowledgement that what we had just wasn't going to get us the next step. Something had to change.

Yes good players have gone out. But in the end, opposition clubs aren't going to take on large contracts for players that have little value. We had to make some really tough calls. And that's what we did. We have the opportunity this draft now to take 2 good picks, and potentially a 3rd with our NGA prospect...or we can use our future 1st to move us higher into this years draft. Getting the future 2nd for Treloar opens up this possibility, so our work is not yet done. We saw Port Adelaide improve very quickly by hitting the draft and taking 3 good kids. And that's what we think we can do.

No-one we draft will be as a good as Stevo
I'd be surprised if any of them become as good as Treloar
I'd say its 50-50 that any of them will have a career as good as Phillips (he will do fine at hawks)
How bloody depressing. Shipping off our most exciting draftee in years for shitall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back